Rosco Expedition

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
Synergy
KAYAK: Rosco Expedition

Rosco Expedition

Postby Synergy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:38 pm

Hi. Thought i would try the collective knoledge on a historical kayak i have bought. I have been asdvised it is a " Rosco Expediton" model kayak. I was also told it is 25 years old. I have removed a home made sailing system on it. This was a spinnaker type sail complete with inbuilt spinnaker shute!! It also needes some reinforcement in the front hatch hull area. But it will be a good kayak one day soon. I am seeking information for my curiousity about this model. When was its production? It seems this boat is for a very skinny person: so did they make different seat sizes for them? Is it a good boat? Where have people owned them? Any other tid bits that may be intertesting. I put it to the forum. David.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ronnyb
KAYAK: Dagger Vertigo, Eskimo Salto, "no brand" SLSA racing ski

Re: Rosco Expedition

Postby ronnyb » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Hi David,

I can’t help with information about the history of that kayak, but I can share a few observations from a trip in North Queensland back in the late 1990’s when a guy from the Sunshine Coast turned up with a Rosco Expedition. I didn’t closely examine his boat but recall it looked solidly constructed, although maybe a bit on the heavy side for composite. The Rosco noticeably lagged behind as we left sheltered waters and attracted several comments about how low it was sitting (it was loaded up with more gear than I usually take on a 3 day trip). A noticeable lack of bow lift also ensured the paddler got a wet ride … probably not much of an issue in tropical NQ waters though. However as we moved out into more exposed (and quite lumpy) seas the handling of the Rosco actually seemed to improve, as evidenced by the fact that it wasn’t long before it was up near the front of the group. Much to the surprise of us all, the Rosco was able to make far greater headway in heavy sea conditions than many of the other (better credentialed) kayaks in our party. So it looks like you may have scored yourself a sweet little boat for getting out of trouble when things turn nasty.

Rosco Canoes closed down back in January so, unless you can somehow contact the former owner (Ross Cook) directly, I’m not sure how you can get more information about the history of your boat. Perhaps you could try Kev from Acacia Ridge Canoe Sales … I believe he was working with Roscoes back around the time your boat would have been made.

Synergy
KAYAK: Rosco Expedition

Postby Synergy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks Ronny. Looks like no one knows much about them these days. I have only paddled it in the Fitzroy River once and it seems to know which end is the bow, i.e. it tracks straight. Hopefully it will be an okay sea boat. All the best. David.

ronnyb
KAYAK: Dagger Vertigo, Eskimo Salto, "no brand" SLSA racing ski

Postby ronnyb » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi David,

Just be careful on the Fitzroy River if you are paddling alone. I recall a 2-day trip from Rockhampton around to Keppel Sands during which we spotted several large floating logs in the Fitzroy, all of which had big teeth. One of the crocs not only looked to be nearly as long as our kayaks, but it made everyone in our party decidedly nervous by seemingly shadowing us down the river for nearly 10kms. Mind you, I’m not sure where you can actually go around Rocky to avoid those damn things! On another short exploratory trip on Alligator Creek (near Yaamba) we spotted a 2.5m salty just lounging around in the middle of a long fresh-water pool that must have been at least 50kms upstream of the tidal confluence at the Fitzroy River Barrage. Good luck!

Return to “KAYAK TALK”