kayak repair

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
FernandoBatista
KAYAK: Nelo Azores, WS Equator

kayak repair

Postby FernandoBatista » Sun May 11, 2014 11:51 pm

I'm repairing a few compression cracks in my kayak cockpit and I'd like to ask for advice from those who've done these things before.

I'd like to both repair the existing cracks (made on the kayak rack) and reinforce the cockpit hull and deck witch is on the thin side.

The kayak is polyester/fibreglass, is it better to reinforce with fibreglass or carbonfiber? I've read many times that repairs are better done with the original fiber. But I've lots of carbonfiber laying around and since it's stronger and lighter I'd like to put it to use.
Any thoughts?
Thanks.

Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Re: kayak repair

Postby Jmuzz » Mon May 12, 2014 10:42 am

Carbon should be better if you have got it.
You will need to use epoxy with it not polyester, epoxy is better on an old boat anyway because polyester doesn't bond so well to old stuff. You will then need to stick with epoxy for any future repairs.

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm

I have repaired/reinforced a couple of cockpit areas in my kayaks.
In one kayak I found the very same matching carbon/Kevlar fabric: one layer of that and a layer of glass on top to prevent fuzzing of Kevlar due to abrasion
In an another kayak I used one layer of carbon fibre (double bias) and a layer of glass on top
I can't tell the difference but both cockpit areas are now stiff and show now signs of stress hairline cracks in the gel coat.
I use epoxy that is UV stabilized since the harsh Australian sun will chalk up a standard epoxy if not coated (will become milky after a while)
West System has the 207 hardener that mixed with 105 base resin has given me excellent results with my composite work.
I had also success coating West System epoxy with gel coat, something that apparently not all epoxies allow to.
Carbon fibre alone might be a little bit too easily abraded inside the cockpit where sand under the paddling shoes might wear through

FernandoBatista
KAYAK: Nelo Azores, WS Equator

Postby FernandoBatista » Mon May 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Hello guys, thank you for the help. Carbon it is then.

I didn’t consider a top layer of fibreglass to protect the carbon, but it seems a good idea, I’ll do that too.

partymarty4870
KAYAK: epic 18, epic V10s, old school whitewater boat and an old swagman canoe

Postby partymarty4870 » Mon May 12, 2014 7:27 pm

gnarlydog wrote: under the paddling shoes might wear through

paddling shoes???? and you call yourself a qlder?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns , Cairns Charters

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Mon May 12, 2014 8:08 pm

partymarty4870 wrote:
gnarlydog wrote: under the paddling shoes might wear through

paddling shoes???? and you call yourself a qlder?

Marty, I don't know where you paddle but I know that broken beer bottles are a sad reality on some of my paddling destination shores here in Moreton Bay
And further North on the Capricornia coast a coral cut on my feet would not be all that much fun.
Since I have seen several people cut their feet I thought the shoes would a good idea.
Do you have any other sensible suggestions to prevent cut feet?

partymarty4870
KAYAK: epic 18, epic V10s, old school whitewater boat and an old swagman canoe

Postby partymarty4870 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:09 am

Marty, I don't know where you paddle but I know that broken beer bottles are a sad reality on some of my paddling destination shores here in Moreton Bay
And further North on the Capricornia coast a coral cut on my feet would not be all that much fun.
Since I have seen several people cut their feet I thought the shoes would a good idea.
Do you have any other sensible suggestions to prevent cut feet?

OK I'll pay the broken beer bottle excuse, but as a cairns paddler potential coral cuts are no reason to dress like a Mexican.

As to prevention I find being a self employed web designer and therefore never wearing shoes builds up a nice amount of natural protection.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns , Cairns Charters

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Tue May 13, 2014 8:31 am

never wearing shoes builds up a nice amount of natural protection

good for you.
Maybe where you paddle in Cairns there is not much coral that you could step on, and probably even less oyster encrusted rocks?
So, only people going barefoot can call themselves Queenslanders?
Was not aware of my faux pas, I apologies

eric e
KAYAK: 1980's plywood sea bear

Postby eric e » Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm

cut my bare feet collecting oysters

when they got infected

i swore

never again

cuts never heal well in a salt water environment

even if it's just a stubbed toe

toddkyle
KAYAK: Storm Rider 2012

Postby toddkyle » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:28 pm

If light weight is your primary goal and takes precedence over all others than this is the way to go. There is no lighter build than carbon, however, it will not deliver the rugged durability of Kevlar. Carbon is very light and very stiff but it will fail more easily under impact. If you want to have the lightest possible boat for use in fairly benign flat water conditions than this is a good choice for you. Have a try on kevlar. Kevlar is a very popular reinforcement for kayak building because of its terrific strength to weight advantage. It is 30% stronger and 30% lighter than fiberglass, but the material is about 5 times as expensive as fiberglass as well.

also try Kevlar/Carbon - This construction combines the best features of Kevlar and carbon fiber. Kevlar is very strong, light and unmatched in impact resistance and its ability to withstand flex. Carbon on the other hand is very stiff and even lighter than Kevlar but it is somewhat brittle when compared to Kevlar.

With this build we place Kevlar reinforcement on the outer layer of the hull and then back that up with carbon. The result is a kayak that is very tough and light without the "floppy" feeling of many lightweight kayaks. The inside of the kayak will have that sexy carbon black look and you will appreciate the lightweight and the peace of mind knowing the Kevlar is there for added protection.

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:02 am

west systems great and easy to use. Second kevlar carbon mix.

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Postby Boatsie » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:05 am

I need repairs. Always been taught to use epoxy and ditto Paddle Dog 52; West Systems rock.
My dissolution is I've always been taught that gel coat isn't easily repairable hence slap a slab of cloth over the top with an epoxy to water tight her and she'll be right as rain.
Reading internet, reads gel coat is repairable. They even make it look easy.

Currently, 5cent crater down to cloth, boat stored inside and dry 18 months, whole boat still rock hard, probably 1 or 2 other spots that would like sealing too.
Not fussed as no doubt it would be cheaper to add another toilet paper size cube of cloth (or 2,3 pieces) to the many that are already there.
Just interested as per modern methods. Any hints please regarding gel coat renewal would contribute to possibly a few polka dots and stripes although I think I'll be sticking with the no so visually appealing above quick and easy with regards to time and materials.

Return to “KAYAK TALK”