Trailer for kayak

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
Maree
KAYAK: L'Attitude Dimension 16X

Trailer for kayak

Postby Maree » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:53 pm

I have bit the bullet and bought my first sea kayak :-) A L'Attitude Dimension 16 feet long. I have a Ford Transit van camper and at 2.2m high it's just too high for me to put racks on so I will need to go down the trailer route. My question is - Is a 6 x 4 trailer big enough for my kayak? Would I need an extension on the trailer?

Thanks

feraltek
KAYAK: Dagger Alchemy

Re: Trailer for kayak

Postby feraltek » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:34 pm

The Thule Hullavator with a short folding step could be another solution
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOP1Tvg2CFA

Maree

Postby Maree » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:45 am

Looks great feraltek but unfortunately the hullavator is also a hullava lot of $$ :-)

Kayakingwithgecko
KAYAK: All sorts

Postby Kayakingwithgecko » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:42 am

Hi Maree
Good luck with your first boat.
I use an old trailer that was designed to carry canoes to move my boats around.
The trailer was probably built for a scout group and is a 6x4 box trailer with a long drawbar with racks that bolt on that allow me to carry up to 6 boats (3 'layers') comfortably. I found it on Gumtree and it has been a good investment.
Loading on and off is easier than lifting onto the roof of a car and the boats live on the trailer in the garage.

You will need to check on your state's regulations about carrying loads that protrude from a trailer.
In QLD for example, the critical measurement is between the axle of the trailer and the front of the drawbar.
Let's say this is 3.5m. The maximum length you can carry is double this (7m). This is fine for most sea kayaks including doubles.
A standard 6x4 trailer will probably have a much shorter drawbar and thus limit you somewhat.
Also check the requirements for warning devices on your long load... flags, reflectors and even lights for night time.
Gecko

Maree

Postby Maree » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi Gecko, I was thinking along the line of a 6 x 4 that my kayak can live on as well. I'm currently trying to find out from Vicroads what the rules are for overhang. Been transferred 3 times aaaah. Found this online from a vicroads pdf but my little brain can't compute it: "Rear overhang line is the lesser or the length of the load carrying area ahead of the rear overhang line, or 3.7m". I've also heard that kayaks may be exempt from overhang rules but trying to find out for sure is like pulling teeth.

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:20 pm

I know trailer sailer masts have specific exemptions under VicRoads for the carriage of masts. Not sure about a kayak...

Maree

Postby Maree » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:01 pm

For those of you following my beginner sea kayaking journey.....went on my first paddle yesterday up the Nicholson River, East Gippsland with a group of 7. Turned out to be a 20km paddle which tested me out but all good. I was a bit slow but kept on chugging and was assured that as my technique improves I would get faster. Anyhoo, it was a busy weekend 'cus when I got home and got on facebook I found a trailer for sale and ended up picking it up this morning. It's a lightweight 6x4 so now asking for suggestions on how I go about (cheaply) setting up some sort of brackets please?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

Postby gsimson » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:36 am

Those trailers ride very hard so make sure there is plenty of cushioning on whatever supports you may end up using or the kayak may well suffer stress cracking if it's not plastic.

Maree

Postby Maree » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:37 am

Will do thanks. I have a lead on a set of brackets a fellow local paddler has so will follow that up.

Maree

Postby Maree » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:57 am

Well, latest is that I've on sold the old box trailer and snagged a boat trailer instead for less money. Even comes with box storage and a tap set up where I can add a fresh water supply. :-)

Now to set it up. Ideas? Rollers so I can roll the kayak on from the rear maybe?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Postby Boatsie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:22 am

Topic came up during web search. In nsw can have up to 5m overhang provided trailer is single axle, boat or boats is or are , a rowing boat; shell, canoe, kayak,,, trailer is purposed to carry such vessel and exception document is carried in vehicle. Document can be found using Google at, ' kayak overhang exception, ' or similar.
Hope it helps someone. A bit late, different state, if everyone's a captain whom be dare mate. :lol:

Maree

Postby Maree » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi Boatsie, updating this thread just for kicks. :-)

My setup has ended up with about a 1.2m overhang which I add a high vis flag too when on the road. I have flexible cradle supports attached to the trailer bars to support the kayak. (Bought for $50 from a local kayaker). So far I've taken her from Paynesville as far as Lake Tyers with no probs. I'm about to add a cradle up at the bow so my yak can sit comfortably on it for longer trips to avoid any possible stress fractures plus probably a roller at the back of the trailer so I don't need to drag her onto the supports if I am on my own.

Loving my first kayak - trip to Mallacoota on the cards for December :-)

Cheers

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2349

download/file.php?mode=view&id=2348

cheaterparts
KAYAK: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.

Postby cheaterparts » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:11 pm

It's funny how trailers evolve I built a trailer to carry a 4.1 meter SOT fishing kayak back in 2013 that started as a basic 8 x 4 box trailer with a 6 foot draw bar - it was mostly made from S/H parts a scrap I had laying around in the shed

DSCF0059.JPG

a bit of paint and my wifes wiring job and it was ready for a box and some slides for the kayak to sit on

DSCF0062.JPG

the frame was sheeted in with roof the side box and doors both sides so plenty of room for gear for both fishing or camping - I also put a checker plate floor across the draw bar this made a handy platform to put the cooker on while camping

DSCF0261.JPG

since building this trailer has taken my gear from the south east burbs of Melbourne to the Murray a few times - South West Rocks NSW twice -- Port Augasta SA -- Portland a couple of times as well as getting me to the local beachs in PPB and Westernport almost every W/E

since going to a longer fishing ski 5.25 meter long the draw bar got a little stretch job and some of the roof cut away and mounts made to suit the stealth fishing ski

DSCF0625.JPG

the trailer is looking a lot more second hand these days and the salt water has not been kind to it - I plan to scrap the trailer shortly and build a new one but have a camp trailer on the build ATM for a bit more comfort for my trips away
looking to make a simple fold out trailer to fit on the camper to get to places near what ever camp ground I set up in

I also built the black trailer in this pic for a mate that has the local Stealth agency in Melbourne - it worked out really well carries 3 fishing skis and has an 8 foot long tackle box which carries most thinks you don't need to put in the car
pic taken at ramp car park at the Arakcoon Gaol South West Rocks from earlier this year

DSCF0651.JPG

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Postby Boatsie » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Impressive trailers.

Return to “KAYAK TALK”