Epic 16X, various vintage models

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
feraltek
KAYAK: Dagger Alchemy

Epic 16X, various vintage models

Postby feraltek » Thu May 11, 2017 9:11 am

What differences are there between an Epic 16X from about ten years ago and the current models - the performance lay up. Have there been major alterations in the hull and its performance in the water? Changes in the deck fittings?

Thanks for any hints.
Gary

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Re: Epic 16X, various vintage models

Postby Boatsie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:00 pm

Mine has the old style integrated rudder, which has inadequate bite in more extreme conditions, allowing this relatively short sea kayak to get bossed around a bit. The boat handles well, loaded or empty, but some cargo helps get the rudder more purchase. The fixed fin on the rudder is also an issue with surf launches and landings.

I found that on https://paddling.com/reviews/product/ep ... 16x-kayak/

I don't know anything about them though. Looks fast

Daytripper
KAYAK: Epic 16X

Re: Epic 16X, various vintage models

Postby Daytripper » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:56 pm

I paddle a 2008 Epic16X. I retrofitted my boat with the new articulated stern that has the rudder that swings down. Epic offers a retrofit kit and it was relatively easy to fit the updated rudder, which is vastly more effective than the original with only the little nub on the bottom. The new models also come with rotating cams instead of the old straps to seal the hatch covers; also there is now a day hatch, and the boat comes only in white.

Besides retrofitting my boat with the new rudder, I also modified the hatch cover straps to include snap-clips. These make the strapping system much easier to use, allowing me to open and shut the hatch covers quickly. If you find an older model 16X available at an attractive price and put a little work into these modifications, you will have a superb boat for maybe a fraction of the cost of a new one. I love my 16X--best boat I ever had.

Return to “KAYAK TALK”