Barracuda Interface

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
jezza
KAYAK: McKee Plastics Freedom

Barracuda Interface

Postby jezza » Tue May 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi there.

I figured that this would be the best place on the internet to ask for advise and experienced opinion when buying a new boat.
So what I'm after is a boat that is much faster in a straight line than my current SOT, I'm not going to be doing any rock gardening, so I don't need anything that will turn on a dime, ideally as little rocker as possible.. V hulls look like the way to go for my requirements, but I don't have experience paddling both hull types. It will mainly be used for long day trips, with a few 2 - 4 day trips here and there. I've been looking at the Barracuda Interface, the hull looks like it would fit my needs, and it's got a nice sealed storage compartment instead of the open "glovebox" of the beachcomber.
Yes, the boat is very light, this is not a requirement of mine, it's mainly the hull design that attracted me to it.
What I would like to know more about is the longevity of the craft, I've heard more than just a few accounts of the beachcomber developing cracks in the hull where the pedal rails mount in, for those of you unfamiliar with the situation, here is a link of an Australian adventure company detailing how to fix it: http://southernadventures.com.au/includes/Barracuda.htm
Though I don't know if the current ones still have this issue, I noticed that the last beachcomber I saw had a different backrest, and there were reinforcing panels where the pedal rails mounted to the hull, but I can't remember if the earlier ones I saw also had these panels or not.
I notice that the Interface is the same weight as the Beachcomber, so presumably it's not going to be any stronger.

So, has anyone had any experience with the longevity of the new interface, or the latest beachcomber?

Can anyone suggest any other boats that I should look at?

I looked at getting a Q-Kayaks Skua for years, but I wasn't ready for a new boat then I can't find any shops that stock the brand anymore.
Also, I really like the "deep V" idea.

I really appreciate your input.
Cheers.

Return to “KAYAK TALK”