6'3 95 kg wanting kayak to suit

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

6'3 95 kg wanting kayak to suit

Postby Boatsie » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Hi, I have ambitions to paddle each Sunday. I am 193cm tall and I like choppy seas yet most paddles will be the local islands. 6km west lakes. 14km (using the cutting) and 28km garden island launch. I have been offered a lift one Sunday per month to paddle from sth to outer harbour..
I currently use a winner otium which was bought to abuse and a 70s glass 14 footer which cruises easier although less tracking.
I've seen back stairs passage working a flood tide, 3 m ocean swell with a northerly gale washing it up with 4 ft northerly chop. That is beyond me yet I am question of mind with next boat choice.. Audax, taran, quantum, r40s or explorer, Romany, quest,..

I'm probably closer to 12 months from purchasing yet not sure where/whom to ask and more specifically the question to ask? So here goes..

Anyone know a relatively long boat, built strong, no bolts through Hull with a decent glide of her obsession to glide above her depth while maintaining knots ready for her next kick to embrace the gentle grasp of mothers juice with the leverage extension of my hand?

Going fast is being smooth between strokes.
I am an average paddler.
Seeking a very well built boat that will accommodate me for long rough voyages. Eg. Cape Jarvis to Outer harbour.
I know my winner otiums are deformed. The foot pegs are plastic and digging the heals into the Hull have made her lumpy whereas the ol' faithful glass is solid as with bulkhead to push against.
The predominant winds here are southwesterlies hence majority paddle/sail is down hill or a broadreach or flat circumnavigations.
I look forward to making new friends.
Nathan

mattsema4
KAYAK: Valley Nordkapp & Gemini SP

Re: 6'3 95 kg wanting kayak to suit

Postby mattsema4 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Welcome Nathan,
My advice is to join a club. There you can enjoy te company of fellow paddlers, see what boats others are paddling, develop skills to stay safe and gain paddle fitness.
As a fellow Adelaide resident I hope to see you on the water at some stage,
Matt

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:19 pm

You may find your learning development is very quick at the start, and as you develop your desires in a boat will change. With that in mind, I am a fan of buying second hand, paddle it till your bored, sell it without too much loss, and buy the next boat you want.

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:48 am

Hi Boatsie,

I am 6'4". No doubt you have already found most stock standard boats have too little legroom to be comfortable for longer trips at your height.

The locally built boats may be the best option as you can request bulkheads and foot pegs / rails be moved forward during the build so there is plenty of room. Also, the geometry of longer legs under the hull is a bit different to shorter ones so boats comfortable for shorter people may not be comfortable for you - even with extra leg length. Ideally try before you buy but that is not always possible.

Lots of good boats out there - Unlike Camanche73 I reckon buy the boat you want to grow into straight up (looks like you already have a bit of experience to have developed some sense of what you are after) and grow into it by gradually working up the conditions you paddle in.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Matt, Comanche, NorthSiker,
I'm an average paddler/balancer. Joining Sacanoe in July. Managing to secure Sundays as water days/half days.
Reading from Comanche last night made me think. Not so much the want of boat, more along lines need to survive.
See you guys on the water some day. I need practice. Just guessing at this stage.. Streamline or rockered skeg. All the boats I have leak and my plastic models are deformed although much loved with there abilities to take hits everyday and often. I'm wrong. Australas Bass still perfect and old as. Much wanting to upgrade for speed and safety reasons. I never thought of asking molded foot pegs if new, thanks.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Cheers NorthSiKer, your advice helped heaps. Type of boat decision ended up with flipping the mobile phone as per hard or soft chine.face up meant Hard. Today realized r40 has hard chine so flipped again, solo or r40. A Nadgee r40 soon.

Been studying during my dry spell a lot. Light weight not being strong isn't always true. The old man had a couple of paper tiger (14ft sail cat) hulls built about 35 yr ago. Foam sandwich was realitvely new. He accepted offer to try new form method. On top of that most fittings were titanium and tramp was diagonally stitched (eg braced 3 edge tied fourth). Lead blocks were added to inner Hull bottoms to reach minimal race weight. Normally a she; Share Khan was very rigid and didn't flex much in weather. He raced the state champ over approx.. 14 mile up back straight legs and didn't lose by much. Swapped boats and received a massive loss. Anyway I know that bloke bought that beauty when dad upgraded to a trailer sailer.
Anyway, glad Aus has awesome craftsmen, the 40 yr old light weight fibre glass kayak in the shed has a few holes in her that need epoxy(solid resin) before the hollow set ester(poly, nowadays often vinyl) gets flooded with water. Eg epoxy will fill the holy ester and reseal her beast.
Advantages of easy repair is there and as my old man had told me, nothing wrong with it provided it has bonded and it is sealed.
So my point is, I am often useless and I look forward to growing old with a reliable build quality.. Enjoyment for me is often banking the river edge and filling garbage bags. Not much yet more than I add and hatchs have a purpose..

mike holding
KAYAK: Malibu

Postby mike holding » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:30 pm

I am 6'3 and 92kgs and happy with my Malibu X-Factor Fish and dive kayak. It is a sit-on- top kayak with good stability and comfort. I would totally recommend it. You'll be good on rough waters too. Plus it is a high rocker. You can find the details at http://www.xgearhub.com/best-kayak-reviews/

Return to “KAYAK TALK”