Boat advice absolute beginner

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
Micha Lok
KAYAK: Still browsing for kayak

Re: Boat advice absolute beginner

Postby Micha Lok » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:06 pm

Sounds like the most challenging expeditions on earth!
Glad I know my spiders though :-p
Only dangerous animals we have in the Netherlands are pedestrians and bicyclists.
By the way, the former owners of the yaks left us a message :

Both your yaks are waiting for transport!

IMG-20170628-WA0003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:31 am

I like your red 'yak. She looks nimble.
I recon Ireland's more dangerous than Australia, they are the Northern Atlantic. Lucky they protect you Scotsmen although the Lochs are just as dangerous. I hope the old lady alive and well, we herd she was the last large dragon on Earth after mankind became scared of them like I am of shark. They we're teaching us about displacement in median air. Sonic boom without many centuries until jets and such reminded some. Anyway, down in whales they seem to be more concerned about keeping their flaps stretched. Hello, sunny days aye.
When if u visit As, don't disturb a shark that is swimming on his side. Makes it easier for him to counter the physics law of displacement by using his tail muscles instead of his pecs. Eg. He might wake up grumpy and hungry with less care in his attitude.
Basically that law is if traveling faster than your natural displacement as a sub mariner and accelerating than while you are of constant mass your weight will be increasing. Hence them mother munchers weigh a LOT at 70 MPH. Other than that I assure you they would rather eat healthy than shards of plastics and glass.
Dolphins, seals penguins are best teachers of countering displacement hence there vertical sweep tails, I guess they need breath too, fish prefer quick response pressure gills.
Hey Misha, awesome score dude, I hope you guys stay warm.
Congratulations,

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:43 am

Ps. I love a flying Scotsman. They better at a plane suction cup than most and they protected us.....
Well sh...

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:02 pm

Pps
As a beginner I wouldn't use the spray skirt,  they are dangerous until taught at least a few pros and cons.  I really like your red 'yak,  she so kind on my eyes.  Both them are dry capable day capacity vessels.  Just sucks watching someone trapped.
My first boat when I was an absolute paddler was zero rocker,  zero chine,  fool boar race bred large wing water skipper( like a pole vault).  We weren't allowed to submerge our heads due to disease and a fellow competitor having gone under and pass away from ear infection. When they hydraulically snag the release from the vessel literally pole vaults the sweating idiot. Hence,  I still average because I have no idea how you guys roll!

Which leads back to the question,  a boat for an absolute beginner is a boat that won't trap you. They look perfect brother.  Enjoy

Micha Lok

Postby Micha Lok » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:11 pm

Cheers!
My second wife (aka kayak) will arive in less than 24 hours.
Never been so excited about a swim

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:07 pm

The usual problem when capsized is staying in the kayak if you want to roll. Even with a spray skirt you will fall out. However, when doing training I get a paddler to sit in the kayak on land, eyes shut, bang you hands down on the deck alongside you and then slide them forward to the skirt release strap, pull. Do that until it is automatic.

To get a good grip on the strap fit a practice golf ball on the strap -
http://www.kask.org.nz/spray-skirts/

Micha Lok

Postby Micha Lok » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:18 pm

That is really great advice, thanks Mac!
I don't mind having a swim, I am just so overly scared I'll ruin the boat when so.
The width of the boat scares me too looks Oh so small and tippy hahaha

Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:44 am

Micha Lok wrote:That is really great advice, thanks Mac!
I don't mind having a swim, I am just so overly scared I'll ruin the boat when so.
The width of the boat scares me too looks Oh so small and tippy hahaha

Width? They look like stable wide kayaks. The one I currently paddle has a beam of 510 cm. The other one I paddle at times is wider but doesn't have any chine, just a round bottom. It was very good for "up-skilling". Either you knew how to brace instinctively or swam. I didn't swim. I did start paddling it with usually 3 litres of water in a bag just behind the seat. The second time out was a 5 day trip and loaded so that was relatively easy. Empty was when tippy-ness was noticed.

A year or so later, caught on video one day was a shot of two seal pups climbing on to the aft deck. I appear to do a very strong brace but if I'd been asked, probably wouldn't have especially noticed it.

As for ruining the kayak when capsizing - no, it will be quite happy to be rid of you.

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby NorthSIKer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:31 am

Mac50L wrote:A year or so later, caught on video one day was a shot of two seal pups climbing on to the aft deck. I appear to do a very strong brace but if I'd been asked, probably wouldn't have especially noticed it.

Interesting. I noticed something very similar on a video recently I took fighting a good fish in a sharp little side wave. At a number of points I seem to make quite dramatic hip flicks to keep the boat upright, but I don't recall anything like that at the time. I guess those movements have become second nature over time, and the hips just automatically swivel to the chop without much thought.

My boat is mid-range for width (56cm) though considered by most as relatively stable. But I remember first taking it on the river and feeling it was quite tender, and first time on the ocean I felt very tippy.

I think they are a bit like learning to ride a bike. At first it may seem impossible to keep the things upright but with time the brain retrains and staying vertical eventually becomes something you do in the subconscious (at least most of the time).

Micha Lok

Postby Micha Lok » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:54 am

Well, I had my first try and as an absolute beginner I wouldn't recommend it to the faint hearted.
I flipped 3 times and ate a shipload of duckweed, have a gushing head wound because my girlfriend wanted me to kiss her peddle.
All in all I am excited for more flips!!!!

IMG-20170702-WA0000.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:49 am

Well done brother, you rock

Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:33 am

Micha Lok wrote:Well, I had my first try and as an absolute beginner I wouldn't recommend it to the faint hearted.
I flipped 3 times and ate a shipload of duckweed, have a gushing head wound because my girlfriend wanted me to kiss her paddle.
All in all I am excited for more flips!!!!

Your height and weight? And kayak beam?

I presume you are using feathered paddles? Much better with an unfeathered paddle and actually no good logical reason to use a feathered paddle. Forget the windage argument. The wind comes from all directions and only directly ahead and racing will a feathered paddle be of any advantage.

A Greenland paddle, used correctly (NOTE - correctly) might also help as they have a lot of buoyancy and can act as an outrigger.

If unsure what to do next, have a paddle blade in the water ready to push or pull on. Those who sit holding the paddle up waiting to find out what is going to happen next are half way to something going wrong.

NorthSIKer

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Mac50L wrote:Your height and weight? And kayak beam?

Nah, just keep getting out in the boat. You'll fall in more times but soon enough it'll come together and you'll feel more stable. At that point you can take it out in increasingly choppy conditions to test (and train) yourself further). In a year you'll possibly be amazed that you ever thought the boat was tippy.

I'd personally hang on making further gear choices until you start to get comfortable in the boat.

Micha Lok

Postby Micha Lok » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:20 pm

I am having a hard time getting my legs in, the boat 56cm wide cockpit even less, I have to sit on the back of the cockpit and keep my legs straight as an arrow and then slide them in.
I am 6'2 and weigh about 170 pounds.
My knees are bruised and I really have a hard time pushing myself out of the cockpit.
Was a bit easier the third flip though hahahaha.
All in all I had injuries but i had a hell of a great time.

Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:45 pm

Micha Lok wrote:I am 6'2 and weigh about 170 pounds.

I suspected about 6'2" though thought you might be a lttle heavier. I'm 6' and 70 kg and though my slightly smaller dimensions would help me, proportionally, with the wider kayak that you are in, makes it about the same with my narrower kayak. Try fitting a 6 litre water bag behind the seat as ballast.

Keep trying.

Dutch - tallest in the world I believe. Genetic selection in case the dykes break so you can keep your heads above water?

Micha Lok

Postby Micha Lok » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:56 pm

:D
Dutch - tallest in the world I believe. Genetic selection in case the dykes break so you can keep your heads above water?

Legit question please sticky.
Thanks for waterbag tip!

I bet several people filmed me and posted me somewhere on the interwebs, I really don't care.
NO progress without failure and failure is learning.
Why the fudge didn't I get into kayaking earlier.
Never thought the combination of stitches, water sports, sight seeing and kayaks would be such a great combo.
I'd better chuck a " Not good!" sticker on the hull!

NorthSIKer

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Micha Lok wrote:I am having a hard time getting my legs in, the boat 56cm wide cockpit even less, I have to sit on the back of the cockpit and keep my legs straight as an arrow and then slide them in.
I am 6'2 and weigh about 170 pounds.

I am 6'4" (genetics from the north east of you Micha :) ) and about 200 pound.

My boat is also 56cm beam but may have a larger cockpit opening.

In any case, keep at it, take it easy to start with. 5 x 30 min sessions over a couple of weeks will work better than one 2.5hr session (the brain seems to adapt in the time in between sessions as well). You'll get there soon enough.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:41 am

Bravo, bravo.
You look like a giant lure dude. Lol.
NSW sea kayak web site pretty good. My balance not best, will be seated on deck paddling when the skinny girl arrives. Swimming a lot a few months.
Anyway if in Adelaide South Austin in next ten years, email and I'll try best to set you guys up with 1 of the spare bedrooms. I have spare boats and same size as you. Plenty of great tour places here too. I've seen them on the water and they pay attention to their people.
No promise, just likely no problem if holidaying here.
Hoping 10 years I'm out of here on ocean yatch, was hoping that 10yr ago though. Lol scored a kayak instead.
Food simple, veggies, berries and meat (usually fish).
All I know is 4 litres of red Bundy rum costs $130 Aus at airport. Arch.
Best of luck. I sort of gotta do homework a few weeks.

Micha Lok

Postby Micha Lok » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:33 am

Boatsie,

That would be great, if I ever get to visit Australia I'll bring some scotch and Dutch beers.
Goodluck with the homework stuff

Return to “KAYAK TALK”