Beginner Sea Kayak

Design , Outfitting , Skegs , Rudders, Pumps , Sails , Modifications
Polskifan
KAYAK: None

Beginner Sea Kayak

Postby Polskifan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Hello, I'm new to kayaking and I was wondering what you guys suggest for a beginner. Me and my father have decided to learn about kayaking, which I've done, however we do not know what sea kayak we should buy. The money limit is 300.

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Re: Beginner Sea Kayak

Postby Camanche73 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 pm

Welcome. Is $300 limit just for the boat and not safety gear/Paddle also? If it’s for everything, you would spend $300 on Paddle, PFD, and suitable clothing.
If $300 limit is in addition to your safety gear, you may just have to trawl eBay/gumtree and are what comes up. A mirage would be a good beginner Boat, but not likely to get one at that price.

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Sorry, I just saw you are in Scotland, disregard my last. Second hand market there is considerably different

Polskifan
KAYAK: None

Postby Polskifan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:53 pm

The 300 is just for the kayak and suitable paddles

Pipit
KAYAK: Tiderace, Kaskazi

Postby Pipit » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:07 pm

By far the best thing you can do is to join a local club, try out a variety of kayaks, use their equipment, but most importantly, get some coaching which will improve your paddling and safety skills. You'll also make some kayaking friends to go paddling with, at least until your skills are up to being safe paddling alone. You'll also need to set aside money for PFDs and suitable clothing.

Don't spend money on a kayak yet. Invariably, it will be the wrong one if you go into this blind without trying a variety of boats. Local club to you is probably Fife Canoeing Activities Group http://www.fcag.co.uk/index2.php

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Polskifan wrote:The 300 is just for the kayak and suitable paddles

If you are going to spend so little I'd suggest you learn how to make your own everything. I do.
A good source of information is -

http://www.kask.org.nz/category/do-it-yourself/

Greenland paddles, simple to make and efficient like a Wing paddle. You do have to learn how to use them which means you have to paddle efficiently, use your body, not your arms to provide the power and none of that American low angle inefficient paddling.

I'd also suggest -

http://www.kask.org.nz/category/safety/

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm

mike holding
KAYAK: Malibu

Postby mike holding » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:58 pm

Well do you need one kayak for $300 or two ? If you want one you can get Sun Dolphin Aruba sit-in Kayak in this range but if you want two within your budget try one person inflatable kayak Intex Challenger K1. Both of these are kayaks for beginners. You can find both these kayaks on http://www.xgearhub.com/best-kayak-reviews/. I think it's better to research on reviews of these both kayaks as well.

Return to “KAYAK TALK”