GPS to track my over ground speed, performance & times

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
PaulC
KAYAK: Tiderace Tour 17 Pace, Seabird Deseigns X507 Carbon/Kevlar

GPS to track my over ground speed, performance & times

Postby PaulC » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:20 pm

Gidday everyone,
I'm trying to find a GPS (Waterproof) that will Track & Trace my overground speed when Kayaking at Sea for Fitness/Training purposes.
Any ideas or recommendations?
Many thanks......................Paul.

Kayakingwithgecko
KAYAK: All sorts

Re: GPS to track my over ground speed, performance & times

Postby Kayakingwithgecko » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:31 pm

Hi Paul
I use an old Garmin 310XT and have seen lots of others with the same unit.
I got it second hand and it does everything that I want: speed, distance, custom alarms for distance, pace etc etc plus the ability to upload to a computer (Garmin connect website) and look at where I went on a map and keep a record which is nice.
I wear it on my wrist or attach it to the shock cord in front of the cockpit. Others have engineered suction cap mounts etc to hold theirs. The watch is pretty bulky on the wrist and the battery life is not great (ok for a day trip, needs recharging charging at night on multi-day trips).
There seem to be newer models out now (both cheaper and more expensive) depends on how many bells and whistles what you want..... .
Cheers
Gecko

PaulC
KAYAK: Tiderace Tour 17 Pace, Seabird Deseigns X507 Carbon/Kevlar

Postby PaulC » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi Everyone, I have ended up purchasing a Garmin Oregon 600 Series, so hope it proves well worth it?
Will let everyone know, cheers..............Paul.

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:02 pm

Hi Paul,
The Oregon should be a good unit for you. I have the Montana and it is very good although I feel the CX62S is easier to read in sunlight.
Don't assume that the unit will be waterproof. I keep my Montana in a Paqua waterproof pouch (they are the absolute best). Expedition kayaks sell them but check first that the Oregon will fit. paqua make a few different models.
I also use a Suunto Ambit3 Peak HR which is a pretty handy piece of gear, measuring speed, pace, cadence, heart rate, altitude, barometric pressure, distance, and a whole lot more as well as having navigational ability.
Geoff

Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Im happy with my Garmin 910XT, still going well near 2 years without leakage and has been a good investment.
Though two heart straps have died in that time, not sure why they have such a short life? Module is ok, just detachable straps go (Garmin and Polar).

My favorite feature is that it uploads automatically wirelessly to the pc, I am too lazy to be running upload programs so that is brilliant. Would be even better if I had one of the phones supporting the Ant+ protocol.

stuart-melbourne
KAYAK: Arctic Raider

Postby stuart-melbourne » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:13 pm

I've had a bad experience with the Paqua pouch on multi-day trips. I've strapped it to the deck and by the end of each day there's a lot of condensation inside, thank goodness my GPS is relatively waterproof. Has anyone else had problems with these pouches, or am I just unlucky (or doing something wrong)?

stuart

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:02 am

Condensation is going to happen with any product that is exposed to cool water with a moist atmosphere inside. Try to expel as much air as possible before closing. I have not had any problems with them in Tassie, Greenland, or Wales (all rather cool places)

Jmuzz, the Suunto Ambit3 runs Bluetooth BLE rather than Ant+ and automatically synchs with my iPhone when a Move is finished. As soon as the Movescount app is opened on the phone it automatically uploads to the web. It will be online within 3 to 4 minutes.

Geoff
Last edited by Geoff on Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:22 am

"the Suunto Ambit3 runs Bluetooth BLE rather than Ant+ and automatically synchs with my iPhone when a Move is finished. The phone then automatically uploads to the web so when a Move is finished, it will be online within 3 to 4 minutes. And I don't have to do a thing"

Right, so no more 505/50 upload cables like the Ambit?

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:23 am

Not sure what a 505/50 cable is Mark but no, it's all Bluetooth. It also synchs when you connect the proprietary Suunto USB charge cable. It's really very convenient. And the Ambit3 measures cadence while paddling, as long as you use a running type base for the exercise.
Geoff

Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:38 am

ANT and BLE are pretty much the same thing. Just one of those annoying format wars going on with the various manufacturers in alliance with different teams (eg Blueray vs HD-DVD, Betamax vs VHS etc).
BLE is probably going to win I suspect.

A lot of the newer phones seem to support both protocols, but Apple doesent do ANT without an adapter dongle so that is a big one to be cautious of.
But yeah it is something worth checking, if you are getting a high end device you want the protocol which your phone supports.
Instant uploads and reviewing the trace in the carpark/coffee debrief is great.

partymarty4870
KAYAK: epic 18, epic V10s, old school whitewater boat and an old swagman canoe

Postby partymarty4870 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:20 am

to beat condensation problems pack the drybag inside your car with either the air con or heater running. the air will be drier than outside.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cairns , Cairns Charters

Bruce D
KAYAK: Southern Raider, Nadgee Solo, Valley Siriona

Postby Bruce D » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:31 am

I use a Garmin 60CSx mapping GPS, and after re-setting the trip log before paddling I get Distance, average speed, Max speed. and Distance, Time & Bearing to next way point if I'm paddling a route. The 60's series of Mapping GPS are also splasp /waterproof.

I alway place the GPS in a flexiable drybag with clear windows, current I'm using the Sea to Summit waterproof TPU IPX8, with good success, they are handy as they have four attachment points. To beat condensation, I place a supper dry wettex sponge in the case cut to size, this will soak up any condensation and if there is a minor leak it will take care of it, since the sponge will change colour and swell if there is any moisture leakage, it acts as a early warning.

Bruce D

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:56 am

I use endomodo and smart phone

robg
KAYAK: P&H Scorpio, Z one, NDK Explorer, P&H Aries

Postby robg » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:36 pm

I use a Montana 650t loaded with bluecharts as a navigational aid and to record speed and other stuff. Also use it on my bike for XC and have used it in the car too with a windscreen mount. Cost a bit but can use it anywhere and its robust, survived a few crashes on the bike!

dgilliland
KAYAK: Nordkapp HS, NDK Greenlander Pro

Postby dgilliland » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:56 am

I use the MotionX-GPS app on my iPhone (that I have in a waterproof container). The app will record your speed, track your path and position, graph the data it collects ... all the things a GPS does but for less than $10.
Take a look at: http://gps.motionx.com

oniesam
KAYAK: dagger halifax

Postby oniesam » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:25 am

map my tracks is a great little app also,and its free.no need for a gps when your phone is gps enabled really.

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:39 am

I just use endomondo app in my cell phone

Return to “ACCESSORIES”