Kayak cover when storing outside

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
landsailor
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak

Kayak cover when storing outside

Postby landsailor » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:24 pm

After spending months umming and aahing about getting a cover for my boat which is currently outside exposed to the weather,
I worked out this system which is blindingly obvious with hindsight. Bunnings sell a heavy duty silver tarpaulin which is 3.7m x 6.1m.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/polytuf-3-7- ... n_p3330080

I folded it a few times and then fastened it to my kayak using some cheap roof-rack rachet tiedowns straps.
I think this is cheaper and provides much better protection than a conventional kayak cover. No good for carrying on roof-racks of course but thats not an issue for me.

kayak_cover.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jonathan
KAYAK: valley nordkapp rm, mirage 530

Re: Kayak cover when storing outside

Postby jonathan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:58 pm

hey Landsailor,
we did the same some years ago - only thing was the tarp Bunnings stocked back then failed in 6 months!
we took it back to them and they brought to our attention an incredulous small print buried in the fold of the pack it came in - 'not for outside use, and not suitable for continuous exposure to sunlight' - go figure
So we implemented plan B which was to buy a quality tarp from a camping store and 5 years later it still holding up (ultra rig by OZ trail)
Hope your Bunnings purchase was better than ours?

landsailor
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak

Postby landsailor » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:02 pm

Thanks for the heads up Jonathan, III keep an eye on it. The product description describes it as UV resistant so assume it is meant for outdoors.
Will see how it goes.

TIMAX
KAYAK: Valley Aqanaut

Postby TIMAX » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:47 pm

Your solution is similar to mine.
I trimmed off the excess and glued the ends so its like a drop over cover. I then use a long bungee between the 2 carry handles to keep the tarp up off the deck a bit to aid airflow. Make sure you use a cockpit cover though as feeling something crawling up your leg when your just heading around south head in Sydney is not fun.!!!!

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:47 pm

I did the same 6' x 20" tarp on ebay for 23 USD bucks. I then get some decent 5/16" bungee 4mm? and make a small loop on one end and a knot on the other. Few lengths to suit the width of boat on 5-6 areas. Place the knot through the loop with a little stretch and your done. Fast to take off and install stay on even in 40-50 mph winds. When you see the tarp showing affect of UV just fold it different and you have 4 faces to expose to the sun. They last a few years so it's 10-15 bucks a year including bungees my guess. You van rub a bit of 303 on the cover and bungees. I use a cockpit Seals cockpit cover also. I throw a large bouncy ball usually 3-5 bucks depending on end of year sale in the seat and it keeps water from collecting where cockpit is.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”