Ideas for CamelBak hydration bladder

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Wyvern
KAYAK: Delta 17, Epic V10 Surfski (for sale)

Ideas for CamelBak hydration bladder

Postby Wyvern » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:27 am

I have a first generation CamelBak hydration bladder and backpack style sleeve. I do not have a pocket in my PFD that I use for my surf ski. Any novel ideas (other than just having it on the back of the PFD, making me look like a big hunchback) that would allow me to use it on my surf ski? I don't want the hydration bladder on the boat, as I am still a novice and part ways with the Epic V10 on a regular basis.

Pics or links to ideas would help.

For my Delta 17, I use the CamelBak Cortez that goes on the deck. I like it, but dang, you end up sucking a ton of air with that horizontal set up.

Thanks in advance.

Redback
KAYAK: Nelo K1; Hayden PR2 Spec; Stellar SES; Touring Double Ski (Project)

Re: Ideas for CamelBak hydration bladder

Postby Redback » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:09 am

Hi Wyvern,

Personally, I use a Kolegear pressure bladder during races or long paddles. (http://kolegear.com/)

No need to suck, - the liquid simply squirts into your mouth.

It helps enormously when you're in "oxygen debt" (as I seem to be quite frequently! :D )

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Re: Ideas for CamelBak hydration bladder

Postby Mark Sundin » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:44 am

For the long ocean races (2hrs+) and the big flat water marathon events like the Myall (47km) & Hawkesbury (100km), I secure a 3l bladder forward of the foot plate & run a long drinking tube to my PFD. This keeps the weight low, forward, and close to the bungees on an Epic ski so if you do come out the bladder doesn't come with you. As for sucking along the length of the tube, you only have to do that once, then the liquid stays at the valve end. I can't go hard enough over 25km to run out of breath to drink!

I only put a mix of goo and electrolyte in my back bladder for long races, but never more than about 500mls as the weight is a proven hindrance to your posture & performance over longer distances.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”