Reccommendations for GPS

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Terryb
KAYAK: Malestrom

Reccommendations for GPS

Postby Terryb » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:45 am

Looking at getting a GPS unit and am thinking about the Garmin GPSMAP 78SC. Comes preloaded with Aus & NZ marine charts. Can anyone comment on this unit or suggest a better alternative? Im lead to believe you can expect about 17 hours of use from the two AA batteries, how accurate is this? . As I will be taking it on extended expeditions I dont want to get into carrying elaborate solar charging equipment, recon its a lot simpler and less weight to carry spare batteries. What do others do?

Also someone suggested getting an Ipad instead. Any comments on this? I am concerned about battery life and whether it would be as functional as a dedicated hand held unit. Of course this would require solar charging, but may be more versatile for other uses.
Cheers
Terry

Bruce D
KAYAK: Southern Raider, Nadgee Solo, Valley Siriona

Re: Reccommendations for GPS

Postby Bruce D » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Terry
I'll go for a Garmin GPS over other brands, I would recommend the 64's series Model over the 78, as they have the better battery life, I have both a 60CSx and a 78SC and I get at least 40% more life out of the 60 than the 78, both have pretty much the same features. I'm getting about 12 to 14 hours of life with standard AA Alkaline batteries, where I'm getting 18 to 20 hours with the 60SC

The only advantage is with the 78 is that you can buy it with preloaded (full version) marine charts rather than having to buy the charts seperately and that with the 78 you can also insert the micro SD card with Topo maps and switch between the two. Unluckily the 64's currently on-sale that come with preloaded charts are the Lite version of Topo Maps (40m contours) not the full version of Aus/NZ Topo V5.

I also use a Samsung tablet that has a full in-built GPS and ability to access both Topo and Marine Chart apps, My Samsung tablet doesn't need access to cell phone towers to assist with location (but it can), from memory it can access over 14 satellites, not as good as a full blown GPS which can access both GPS and GLONASS networks as the current model Garmin GPS. I research into the apple range of tablets lead me to believe that they rely more on being able to see the cell phone network,rather that the GPS satellites to give a position.

As for the current Garmin software, I find that the ulility of the older model Garmin better than current models.

Bruce D

Terryb

Postby Terryb » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks Bruce
I have decided the tablet option is not really suitable due to size and battery life/ease of replacement. So I went for the 78sc and brought the topo maps to go with it. Now all i have to do is figure out how to use the bloody thing!
I will trial it out on a trip down the east coast of the Prom next week.
Terry B

Bruce D

Postby Bruce D » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:54 pm

I've been using mine on the water for the last 9 months, and normally us it to monitor distance speed and heart rate while on the water.

See you on the water soon, I'll be at the Porm in three weeks for the Pizza trip.

Bruce D

radu.cruceana
KAYAK: P&H Cetus, Shearwater 17"

Postby radu.cruceana » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:33 pm

Hello,
I'm really happy with Garmin Oregon 600 used in conjunction with Base Camp software for waypoints and tracks.
I've just used on the Danube on a seven days trip (part of Tour - International -Danubien).
Ive used pairs Eneloop PRO batteries, each pair kept GPS working for 2 full days of paddling (between 6 to 8 hours).
Hope this help,

Happy paddling,
Radu

Megan
KAYAK: Impex Montauk, Mirage 530

Postby Megan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi Terry B
I have just had my third Garmin 78 die, second time it has died part way through an expedition. I had it in an Aquapac which does close and fit it however does let in a bit of water slowly, however on the whole I thought I was treating the latest one with all the care that I think a supposed waterproof GPS should have, such as taking it out and rinsing it in fresh water and drying out the damp Aquapac. I should have left it in my dayhatch rather than in an Aqua pac on my front deck, but I was paddling solo in some pretty rough waters with rain showers so thought it wise to keep the GPS handy. The Garmin 64 which my husband has a lot deeper seals and just looks more like its waterproof rating. I would happily pay for the difference to get a 64 in price than accept another Garmin 78. It seems that 78s are cheap to pick up as Garmin seem not to be producing new ones.

Radu, how does the Oregon touchscreen respond to water splashing over the deck?
Cheers
Megan

Bruce D

Postby Bruce D » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:34 pm

I use a Sea Summit Ipx8 TPU Waterproof Case whenever I take my GPS out on the water, the one with a double seal. Also I have a super dry wettex sponge to absorb any moisture (mainly condersate) in the waterproof case as well.

It always worth remembering the old sailors adage nothing is waterproof when it come to the sea and electronics.

Bruce D
Last edited by Bruce D on Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terryb

Postby Terryb » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks all for the input.
Megan, lets hope I have a better run with my 78sc than you seem to be having! Will definitely put it in a dry bag such as Bruce uses.

Terry B

Return to “ACCESSORIES”