Nadgee Solo Spray Deck

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Mulga
KAYAK: Nadgee Solo

Nadgee Solo Spray Deck

Postby Mulga » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:46 am

I'm looking at spray deck options for my soon to be built Nadgee Solo. So far I have found Electric Water will make me a custom and Reed ChillCheater Aquatherm makes one that will fit. Are there any other commercial options out there that are worth considering? Cheers in advance :)

http://www.kayakshopaustralia.com.au/reed-chillcheater-aquatherm-spray-deck-adjustable-waist-key-a-b-mirage-nadgee/

Bruce D
KAYAK: Southern Raider, Nadgee Solo, Valley Siriona

Re: Nadgee Solo Spray Deck

Postby Bruce D » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:52 am

Be careful about selecting which Electric Water Spray Decks you buy, they are more designed for White Water paddling,

Picking the wrong level of Kevlar and gauge of trim can make it difficult to do a wet exit.

I know of a few Sea Kayakers, who have needed assistance to do a Wet Exit in a emergency because they have picked the wrong deck style.

Bruce D

Mulga

Postby Mulga » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:07 pm

Bruce D wrote:Be careful about selecting which Electric Water Spray Decks you buy, they are more designed for White Water paddling,

Picking the wrong level of Kevlar and gauge of trim can make it difficult to do a wet exit.

I know of a few Sea Kayakers, who have needed assistance to do a Wet Exit in a emergency because they have picked the wrong deck style.

Bruce D

Cheers Bruce

Would this order work?

Deck Style: Mid Kevlar 3mm
Seat Position: Standard
Tube Style: Multifit
Cord Type: Light_(9mm)
Zipper: Yes

Terryb
KAYAK: Malestrom

Postby Terryb » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:11 pm

From my experience you will find electric water make great decks and are very knowledgable on what works for sea kayaks and what works for white water. talk to them and be guided by their judgment. I have had both reed and electric water decks for my Maelstrom (similar to a Nadgee) Reed decks are great for a comfortable feel around your waist and seal well, however they are prone to damage from practicing rescues and such and don't seem to have the longevity of the neoprene decks from electric water. For my money I prefer electric water for two reasons 1. longevity, 2, Quicker to fit when launching solo into surf. However I am about to get a reed deck for use in the warmer waters of Qld on a trip next year as I recon it will be more comfortable in the heat. Don't be out off by the comments about difficulty with wet exits. I also paddle with the same people as Bruce and the incidents he is referring to are due much more to 'pilot error' than the product. You wont go wrong with either product.

Mulga

Postby Mulga » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:22 pm

Terryb wrote:From my experience you will find electric water make great decks and are very knowledgable on what works for sea kayaks and what works for white water. talk to them and be guided by their judgment. I have had both reed and electric water decks for my Maelstrom (similar to a Nadgee) Reed decks are great for a comfortable feel around your waist and seal well, however they are prone to damage from practicing rescues and such and don't seem to have the longevity of the neoprene decks from electric water. For my money I prefer electric water for two reasons 1. longevity, 2, Quicker to fit when launching solo into surf. However I am about to get a reed deck for use in the warmer waters of Qld on a trip next year as I recon it will be more comfortable in the heat. Don't be out off by the comments about difficulty with wet exits. I also paddle with the same people as Bruce and the incidents he is referring to are due much more to 'pilot error' than the product. You wont go wrong with either product.

Thanks Terry. I'd say I will end up with both decks like yourself.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”