Ultimate kayaking knife

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
andrewa
KAYAK: Um. I have 2 unknown brands..

Ultimate kayaking knife

Postby andrewa » Tue May 23, 2017 9:18 pm

I've been making all sorts of knives recently for other pursuits, but found this blank at Jantz US website, and decided it would be the ultimate sea-kayaking/packrafting knife. Hook for quick cutting rope, tough enough to lever oysters etc off rocks, long enough to fillet fish, and a serrated edge for cutting thicker things.

Handle is sliced banksia nut, filled with pink epoxy ( daughter 3/4 said it was the ultimate "fuck you" knife - girly colours, but deadly

Just need to design a sheath that allows it to attach usefully to a PFD!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Ultimate kayaking knife

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu May 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Sure is pretty!

Do you know what steel it is?

One thing that would concern my using the hook/safety cutter is the pointed tip stabbing the other way. Ok for quick rope cuts though. Serrated edge is certainly a winner for sea tasks. Other thing is handle may get a bit slippy in wet, tired hands?

I do like my Spyderco folder H1 steel for the kayak - no good for prying oysters though.

andrewa
KAYAK: Um. I have 2 unknown brands..

Postby andrewa » Tue May 30, 2017 12:05 am

Not sure what steel it is, but liked the hook for quick exit from packrafts/kayaks/entanglement.

Might put a leash on handle,as you wouldn't want to drop it overboard when needed.

Still need to design a sheath that suits, but other projects take precedence.

A

Notamilonga
KAYAK: Prijon Seayak

Postby Notamilonga » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 pm

While that knife is beautiful, and does have serrations, I'd rather not have a stabbing point on my most accessible knife.

Very interested in DIY pfd sheath designs.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”