PFD cag

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

PFD cag

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:04 pm

Hi, like the rest of us I'm here to contribute coordination with ability I have; strength, balance and technique. However, I'm not that secure with a kayak and limited to swimming distance from landing.
With improvement I intend to keep they who love me nervous of 3 major dangers that are with us all; weather, fellow life forms and our selves.
I think I've read all the pfd posts.

Are modern life jackets (foam ones particularly) fairly non constrictive as per kayaking technique requirements?

As I haven't a dry cag and have intentions to go that way (with the old 4mm steamer and wool under and below), is storage on pfd as important?

I have near no off shore equipment and don't know what will fit where with wears ware.

Nathan

Pascal
KAYAK: Northwest Pursuit LP

Re: PFD cag

Postby Pascal » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:45 pm

Are modern life jackets (foam ones particularly) fairly non constrictive as per kayaking technique requirements?

Yes. But most are Type III, i.e. not really designed to keep your head out of the water if you are unconscious or very tired (only Type I are). However this is what sea kayakers wear here in on the West Coast of Canada, even on remote solo trips, with off shore sections, where the sea can be rough and rescue many hours away.

is storage on pfd as important

The more pockets on your PFD, the better, because those are the ones you gonna be able to access easily. Plan for the worst: you are floating away and your kayak is gone. What are you going to need?
I carry and have tethered on my high volume PFD: VHF radio, signaling mirror, GPS, knife. I have also a quick-release tow system built in. I have a Waterproof headlamp in one of my spray jacket upper arm pockets. And a survival kit in a banana back kept in my back (no, it doesn't prevent me to roll).

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Do some type 1( or whatever above legal offshore Australian use is now; 100? 150? having changed names from type 1,2,3) front up easy floating vests have dry pockets? I realize they'll get wet when opened yet it'd be nice to stow don't need to wash it equipment.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm

More importantly it'd be handy to know if any pfds out there with dry pockets with internal tether ability. Sort of like pop goes the weasel; Jack in a box, easy find equipment wouldn't need to feel the harsh most of it's lifetime. Such as a sailboat jacket stow; saves washing them and more importantly prolongs durability of what could be vital equipment.
I'm new to this (having to need to carry in open environment), happy inshore with my bouncy vest (springy foam lol) and attachments to boat due to conditions and ease of use in such.

Still not convinced about pfd vs cag pockets besides the obvious neck foam type 1 might not seal cag.

Current gear is basic and short trip warm. Wettie if cold, old holy wool jumpers, $7 spray jacket and a not so high quality yet legal bouyancy vest. Suits me while landings are within 5 minutes. No radio for ABC weather is the scary bit for kayaking down here. Nice shallow gulf though.

Any internal tethering long dry pocket good quality life jackets on market? Washing each trip should be okay

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Just use a small dry bag

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm lost. Seeing an experienced kayaker soon and most probably many more experienced kayakers before then.
Thinking I'll ask what they wear to stay warm and buoyant.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:39 pm

Any recommendations regarding dry cags please?
Intentions, warm plus type 3 below. Blow up 150 above.
Webbing if no pockets. Mostly to keep warm on water. Some land hiking down to -20 daylight.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”