Usable Iphone waterproof cover on person

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Floater
KAYAK: looking

Usable Iphone waterproof cover on person

Postby Floater » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:32 am

Hi, hoping for some assistance.
I found a thread dating back to 2014 regarding IPhone covers but didn't get any good info from it.
So wondering if anyone carries their IPhone with them, on their person, while paddling?
I would like to just carry the phone, an IPhone 7, (no plans to get the IPhone 8 or IPhone X) in a waterproof cover that allows me to use the phone while on the water.
I have heard mixed reviews on Lifeproof, does anyone have experience?
I also found a case by Snowlizard that looks good, but again does anyone have experience?
Are there other models people can recommend based on their experience?
Also I would not feel comfortable trusting my phone in a cheap chinese ripoff so please stick to the reassuringly well priced options.

Thank you

mattsema4
KAYAK: Valley Nordkapp & Gemini SP

Re: Usable Iphone waterproof cover on person

Postby mattsema4 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:11 pm

I have a Lifeproof cover on my i Phone but also use a Dry dock phone case to make sure it stays dry. The retailer said that he has seen people use a Lifeproof cover on its own and use the phone as an underwater camera. Not sure that I would be happy to take that sort of risk.

ConYak
KAYAK: Impex Force 5, Q Kayaks Penguin, Hobie Revolution 13

Postby ConYak » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:44 am

I had mine have a problem with the Lifeproof case. Went out by myself before a club paddle and popped it in my wind jacket pocket and wasn’t planning getting wet. Then forgot about it being in there and later we did a few rescue practices and rolls. Still not sure if water actually got in through the case or it was a condensation issue with a warm body and cold water, but either way would have it in some sort of aqua-pac or similar as well. A lot cheaper than replacing a phone and losing data etc. I’m reluctant to blame the case entirely though as it’s been great for general use but wouldn’t normally rely on it for that sort of dunking.
Good judgement comes from experience~and experience well that comes from poor judgement

Terryb
KAYAK: Malestrom

Postby Terryb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:04 pm

I have been paddling with my Iphone in a lifeproof case in the pocket of my PFD for about 6 years now. Done plenty of wet stuff over that time and taken it snorkelling. Never had a problem. although I am on case number 4 as they dont last forever, with scratches on the front. I had one let go after fitting and taking off the 'lifejacket' a few times, so I dont use that anymore.
Had a friend who did get his phone wet though, he now puts his in a dry sock as well as the lifeproof case to be sure.
Probably jinxed myself writing this!

Bruce D
KAYAK: Southern Raider, Nadgee Solo, Valley Siriona

Postby Bruce D » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:08 am

When it comes to a salt water and the Marine enviornment and electrics, the corressive effect of salt water will always win.

Don't rely on one form of protection alone,

I use both a lifeproof case and a Aquapac, I can still make and recieve phone calls while paddling,

The aquapac also adds some additional bouyancy, in case I drop the phone, giving me a few more seconds to retrieve the phone when dropped in the water.

Bruce D

Return to “ACCESSORIES”