PFD for beginner

Paddles , Epirbs , Cup Holders , Helmets , Radios etc
Forum rules
Please remember this is NOT a commercial forum! Please refer to "Rules of the Forum" for clarification
Deceter
KAYAK: Awaiting purchase

PFD for beginner

Postby Deceter » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Hey all,

I'm wanting to give this sea kayaking a go and am starting to look at gear.

I like the look of the Sea to Summit Leader PFD and want to know if it is something I should consider?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Floater
KAYAK: looking

Re: PFD for beginner

Postby Floater » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:01 am

A tow tether on the PFD is handy if you needed to quickly clip on to an empty kayak or paddle and tow back to the owner. Not so comfortable for longer towing so a quick release tow system on the kayak itself should also be considered. Practice using before you actually ever need these tow systems. I have been advised to always have a knife in an accessible place whenever using towing systems and ropes, just in case.

I have had a look at the Sea To Summit and it seemed flimsy, floppy to wear (in the shop) perhaps people who have used it on the water will have better advise on performance, also how the nylon handles the sun.

I got a second hand Stohlquist Tow Motion from a Kayak Guide who used it almost every day for a year and its still in great shape. I can wear it all day and forget I have it on its so comfortable.

Terryb
KAYAK: Malestrom

Re: PFD for beginner

Postby Terryb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:09 pm

I had a 'cheap' anaconda brand PFD (top of their line model) and it lasted well for a few years of hard work. Think it was good value for money but have replaced it with a much more expensive one now and it is definitely see and feel where the money went, but fora start out something like the anaconda would be fine.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”