Helinox Lightweight Chair

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
Davebrewer
KAYAK: currently building a Oneocean Cirrus

Helinox Lightweight Chair

Postby Davebrewer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:02 pm

I came across this and thought it may be of interest:
http://www.helinox.com.au/pages/helinox-chair-one.asp
I haven't dealt with the company myself yet but members of my bushwalking forum give them big raps for service and warranty.

JDJTas
KAYAK: GreenlanderPro, Seaward Chinook, thermoplastic.

Re: Helinox Lightweight Chair

Postby JDJTas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:52 am

Have a look at this video clip and you will see this chair in action. Its light and quite sturdy but be careful on soft surfaces!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAMeS9Vk ... ature=plcp

Bruce D
KAYAK: Southern Raider, Nadgee Solo, Valley Siriona

Postby Bruce D » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:54 am

looks interesting, but how sturdy is it ? and would it take the weight of someone over the 90 Kg.

I recently invested in a Roll-a-Chair which packs down nicely, but this is event smaller.

Bruce D

JDJTas
KAYAK: GreenlanderPro, Seaward Chinook, thermoplastic.

Postby JDJTas » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:07 am

I weigh 90kgs and estimate the chair would be strong enough for heavier people but they would sink into soft sand.

Mastergaster
KAYAK: Mirage 580 & etain

Postby Mastergaster » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:09 am

The chair is excellent and yes it does support 90kgs (easily - personaly tested at 110 kg + wine glass) there is a good review in the latest club magazine

Raider
KAYAK: Epic 18 X Sport Ultra - Seaward Passat G3 - Tempest 170 Pro - Rosco SR

Postby Raider » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:07 pm

Just did 2 weeks in the Whitsundays with one. They are good on level ground but do tend to sink in the soft sand and move around a lot on an uneven surface, so Maureen's Cove was a good place to use it but Curlew Beach or Whitehaven wasn't. I had a couple of webbing straps made to fit between the front and back leg on both sides and that fixed the problem nicely. However, I found the seating position a bit too laid back for me. The back of the seat needs to be a bit more upright to be comfortable if sundowners lasts longer than half an hour.

The up side is that it is good for cooking when the trangia is on the ground or close to it. Just don't lean back when eating or you risk spilling stuff on your chest.

I would also recommend sitting on a towel or something windproof on a cooler day or night as the mesh back can let your back get cold. A sneaky evening breeze got me a couple of times.

Having said all of the above I would probably take it again simply because it packs so small compared to any other chair that keeps your bum off the ground and that is important when trying to fit in a couple of weeks worth of food, water and wine. :)

Raider

Seabear 1
KAYAK: Seabear Waitoa, Seabear, EcoNiizh Double

Postby Seabear 1 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 pm

I had the pleasure of trying Raiders chair with custom straps and at 6ft, found it a lot more comfortable than my lower Alite Monarch chair. It doesn't pack as small but a lot easier to get in and out of. I noticed Alite have a new chair the Mantis which is very similar to the Helinox with a much higher back. I would be interested on feedback from anyone that has tried the Mantis.

Seabear

Rhysie
KAYAK: P&H Cetus, North Shore Atlantic RM, Valley Sirona RM

Postby Rhysie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 am

Just did Windsor to Brooklyn over 3 days. Used my new Helinox chair and I was really impressed. On the second day I got sick of paddling against 30km winds and the incoming tide. My GPS showed that I was making 1kph. So I set up an early camp at about 3pm. With nothing to do I used the chair for about 3-4 hours straight and found it really comfortable. Raider is right though, the breeze definately comes through the back.

paulw
KAYAK: Pittarak, Nordkapp, Dusky Bay

Postby paulw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Raider wrote:Having said all of the above I would probably take it again simply because it packs so small compared to any other chair that keeps your bum off the ground and that is important when trying to fit in a couple of weeks worth of food, water and wine. :)
Raider

It seems to me you could have fit a full deck chair in that packhorse, Raider ;)

Raider

Postby Raider » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 pm

If I had left the wheels behind I could have also fitted a carton of that rocket fuel as well huh Paul? :D

Raider

Bank Barn
KAYAK: Perception Essence 16

Postby Bank Barn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:52 am

I've had a Helinox chair for the last year. It is an excellent piece of kit and great for kayaking as it is light, very strong and fits easily into the hatch on my sea kayak.
The only critism is that it is light, and in wind will blow away. I've fastened some cord and a tent peg to secure it.

Terryb
KAYAK: Malestrom

Postby Terryb » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:08 pm

I too have had a Helinox chair for about 12 months and have found it very comfortable. I have not had too much trouble with it sinking in soft sand but the strap idea between the legs would be a good move. I believe they are rated at 120kg. I have not experienced the cold being a problem as if its that cold I usually have a few layers on, though its no where near as warm as the thermarest type chair I had in the past. Being off the ground makes it much easier for cooking the evening meal and getting up and down (must be getting old!) :mrgreen:

Tuttle
KAYAK: Perception Eclipse 16

Postby Tuttle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:15 pm

I contacted the Helinox crowd this week and was informed sand feet are on the way. And I think owners will be informed when they arrive. They also told me I have been given permission to get a second chair as I don't get to use mine unless I sit down fast. It is great.

Old Man
KAYAK: Roscoe TK1, Tidemark. Prijon Marlin, Rosco Southern Raider

Postby Old Man » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:59 am

I have a helinox and do most of my camping in sandy areas. I bought 4 of those plastic tent pole stands and put one under each leg. worked OK on Moreton on our last trip.

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:44 am

Got mine today and it is study and looks great, Taxes 20 seconds to set it up. I put two pieces of 1 webbing as suggested here for two bucks. Leave it on and just fold up the chair the same way. Webbing makes it impossible to for me to have something for support separated from the chair. Paid 70 USD shipped which I think was a great deal.

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:58 am

put the webbing on as suggested thanks!

Wattie
KAYAK: Tahe Greenland T

Postby Wattie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi all, I got one about a month ago and love it. I came across a video where they used tennis balls, put a hole in then then pushed the legs into the holes. I have done the same and it doesn't sink in sand at all. The tennis balls are also able to fit in the same bag.

brendan
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak

Postby brendan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Just checked these out, im looking for a camping chair and tossing up between one of these, a 3 legged stool or a thermarest chair. this seems like the best option but the most expensive, anyone know of a cheap place to buy one??

Raider

Postby Raider » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:42 pm

brendan wrote:Just checked these out, im looking for a camping chair and tossing up between one of these, a 3 legged stool or a thermarest chair. this seems like the best option but the most expensive, anyone know of a cheap place to buy one??

Brendan,
Most of us have had a 3 legged stool at some time and found that they sink too far into sand. However, I have had a four legged one and it is much better. Your choice should be between the other two depending on whether you want to sit on or above the ground and pay the money to get it.

There is nothing worse than sitting on a beach enjoying the sunset and a glass of wine and listening to a tightarse who compromised his comfort and bought on price. He tends to start sentences with the words 'I wish'... :roll:

Raider

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:22 am

brendan wrote:Just checked these out, im looking for a camping chair and tossing up between one of these, a 3 legged stool or a thermarest chair. this seems like the best option but the most expensive, anyone know of a cheap place to buy one??

As most people on hear know I manufacture, I think there extremity we'll made , that's why I got involved with promoting them, and for the price I don't you can do better, I coldest get the materials at trade for less! (I tried) there only available through the wed site ,
I will have Sumer demo seats on display at the VSKC AGM in a cupel of weeks time . For people to look at and try out.
The soft ground issue is being looked at as well

Return to “CAMPING”