Sleeping bag

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
eth93
KAYAK: Nordkapp RM

Sleeping bag

Postby eth93 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:37 pm

How many different kinds of sleeping bags can there be right? Right? :oops:

What sort of sleeping bags should I be considering for our Queensland weather?

I'm looking at spending around $200 on a bag.

I know it doesn't get to cold up here, but I'm a sook when it comes to the chilly weather. :lol:

Adrian T
KAYAK: ...

Re: Sleeping bag

Postby Adrian T » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:41 pm

Buy the best that is available for the climate dont buy the lightest or cheapest, its easy to get cool but its not so easy to get warm. In my bit of the world I use a bag rated to minus 5 but carry two liners one of silk and a Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme liner which ads quite a few degrees on a cold night. In hotter weather its possible then to just use the silk liner or the Thermolite liner as a sleeping sack. Also look at you fill synthetic versus natural fibre ( Down or Feathers) Down filed bags retain heat better than feather filled bags, both are next to useless when wet. Synthetic filled bags will when wet retain some heat. Have a look at theis article from Cotswold Outdoor in the UK. http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/data_doc ... ngbags.htm

eth93

Postby eth93 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks Adrian. I ended up spending a little extra on a nice down bag. Now to find some shelter. :D

Raider
KAYAK: Epic 18 X Sport Ultra - Seaward Passat G3 - Tempest 170 Pro - Rosco SR

Postby Raider » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:14 pm

You will probably find your down bag too hot during the warmer months. I suggest buying a silk liner for the months when you need something but a bag is too much. Most of us have a lighter bag and a reactor to slip inside for the cooler months. That combination is much smaller to carry in a dry bag.

Raider

eth93

Postby eth93 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Not something else to add to the list. :twisted:

Adrian T
KAYAK: ...

Postby Adrian T » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:34 am

eth93> As raider says in warmer climes a silk liner can be used in the hotter months on its own as a sleeping sack or as a liner in your bag a silk liner wil add warmth. Shelter, there are a huge range of options available. Tents, if your budget will extend to and you intend to use it a lot buy a good quality tent, MSR, Wilderness Equipment etc, I prefer a two man as it allows me more space. A good choice for the tropics would be one that has a mesh inner that could be used as a stand alone in the warmer weather where bugs are a problem. A lot has been written on hammocks do your homework a hammock is not all things to all people. Bivy's and Cocoon type one man tents are claustrophobic and you will sweat. The other items that are important are a good sleeping mat that will keep the cold from the ground at bay and a decent pillow.

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:04 am

re tents with mesh inners, I dont like all mesh as in sume ariears the sand is so fine it blows strait into all your gear.

andrew allan
KAYAK: No idea - 5.5m fiberglass with pod

Postby andrew allan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:16 pm

The other option with a sleeping bag is just to open it out like a quilt.

For my summer fly fishing trips in NZ , I sleep in my clothes, with a light home made 900 loft quilt if needed ( as in 450g total weight). In fact this approach has even become my preferred winter ski touring option, and I just sleep with all my clothes on, and the quilt is about 800g. If in the tropics, I'd probably concentrate on sleeping mat first, to stop heat loss to the ground.

Tried hammocks for one summer NZ trip. Very very comfy, but i found them miles colder than sleeping on the ground.

A

GaryBr
KAYAK: Prijon Millenium

Postby GaryBr » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:11 pm

Totally agree with Adrian he gave a nice insight.

Sean123
KAYAK: Prijon Panther 2010

Postby Sean123 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:39 pm

Yeah i don't compromise quality over price on sleeping bags.

Megan
KAYAK: Impex Montauk, Mirage 530

Postby Megan » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:06 pm

A good sleeping bag lasts years. I got a Macpac Neve in 1992, I still have it and it is my favourite sleeping bag out of my small collection.

The old Macpac Neve it comes with probably a1/2 to 2/3rd down on top and a sleeve to slide your Thermarest or similar mat in on the bottom. At one stage Kathmandu had a similar style. I think that the down on top sleeping bag style was not favoured by some due to some customers complaining that they could not move around as much these types of sleeping bags however I find it great, it is not a snow bag though for that I probably prefer a full down mummy style. The down on top bags are great for opening up and just using as a blanket. Feathers on the bottom don't add to the insulation properties so you get a sleeping bag with probably a 1/3 or more less down and consequent weight saving and more compact.

Luckily my husband has a Macpac Neve, with a zip on the opposite side. Apparently there was an unpublished code to sell right hand zips to females and left hand zips to males ...

If you want a cheap sleeping bag "Roman" brand is, or maybe was in the past, quite good quality for the price and probably OK for coastal Qld. I bought a couple of Palm IV polyester filled bags quite cheap, they are good however the reality is that I choose a down bag as it is still smaller, lighter and warmer for the same weight and size. The Palm Iv is about the same size and weight as my trusty Neve. The advantage of polyester or synthetic is that it is not such a disaster if it gets accidentally wet. I always line a dry bag with a garbage bag and then my stuff it in and make sure the garbage bag is kind of sealed for sea kayak camping and wet overnight canyoning trips. If my sleeping bag has been a bit wet due to heavy condensation or rain, usually at the toe end, I have been lucky enough to get it dryish during the day.

bluepansy
KAYAK: No, I don't own one

Postby bluepansy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:33 pm

I bought Kelty Cosmic Sleeping Bag for around $100

Return to “CAMPING”