Gas cooker economy

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Gas cooker economy

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:21 pm

Got a new gas can cooker and trying to determine how many fuel cans are needed for an upcoming trip, about 10 nights.

Did a test run, 400ml water @15c brought to boil used 10g of gas.
I'm not really sure how much will be heated for cooking and for how long though? So my guess on daily consumption is probably going to be bad.

What should I budget on?
Allow for a warm breakfast of porridge or whatever, about 10g, triple that for dinner. So say 50g a day sound right?
A 220g can (cheap skinny can type) per 4 days? 3 total for 10 night?

Too much? Too little? Opinions?

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Re: Gas cooker economy

Postby mick M » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:30 am

Take a wind brake with you, mine is made out of a strip of realy heavy dute aluminium foil its sum kind of lagging material I found on a bilding site, it's around 300X500mm I just role it around the gass to store it , the sheald realy helps keep the heat in and makes the stove more efishant I cary one more gas silencer than I gestimate on

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:53 am

My first can used while crossing bass Strait lasted 10 days, but that was exceptional. As Mick says, improve gas economy as much as you can. And a lot depends on what cooker you are using. I reckon you could be pretty safe with allowing 5 to 6 days per can.
Geoff

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:39 pm

The first can lasted the entire trip, about 10 days cooking. Plus used it for a fairly long period to make a blade red hot to melt through carbon rod during emergency repairs. Was using it to roast slices of cabanossi just to try and get rid of the can but it still didnt run out.
One can is enough for two weeks, pretty efficient cookers.

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:22 am

220 gr. for 10 days?
That is real economical cooking Jmuzz.
I usually burn through a can in about 5 days while always shielding the pot to minimize heat loss (meals for 2 people).
I am not sure what kind of meals you are cooking (reconstituting dehydrated meals in pouches?) but I do conventional meals (still considering ingredients that would cook fast)
On an extended trip of 35 days I used on average more fuel than you guys but that involved a fair bit of frying of fresh vegies. Quick meals are fun for only so long...

ImageDinner at Lost Island camp_c

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:16 am

Yeah only bringing stuff to the boil, no extended stewing or baking.
Two people also means double the mass, so not that different really.

Didnt miss the old trangia or companions noisy spluttering flame exploding MSR thingo compared to the gas $50 setup.

JasonBilly
KAYAK: AIPA hand shaped model that is 10'6 by 31 wide 5'' thick.

Postby JasonBilly » Tue May 19, 2015 6:02 pm

How much white gas should you bring on your trip? That's actually going to depend a lot on your style of cooking, your stove, the conditions, The white gas stove I've used the most is my MSR Whisperlite. I'll be using my experience with my Whisperlite to generate the numbers that follow.

A word about style: On most of my backpacking trips, I keep cooking fairly simple. Most of the time, I'm boiling water for re-hydrating foods and making hot drinks. I almost always have tea in the morning and cocoa in the evening. I normally boil at least two cups and more typically three cups per boil. Simmering for the most part is kept to a minimum, but I do simmer sometimes to re-hydrate things at higher altitudes. I don't typically have a hot lunch, but I almost always have a hot breakfast and supper.

Over time, I've noticed that I use something on the order of 1.5 fl oz (44ml) of white gas on a solo trip per day. For two people, I find my usage is something on the order of 2.25 fl oz (67ml) per day. If I'm melting snow, I figure on roughly doubling those amounts. These amounts include fuel used for priming. These amounts are the amounts I expect to use. Particularly in winter, you should plan for the unexpected. I typically bring an extra day or two's worth of fuel on winter trips.

Return to “CAMPING”