Food

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
gonetroppo
KAYAK: Raider

Food

Postby gonetroppo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:59 pm

What's everyone's suggestions for food to take on trips? Looking for some good ideas for long life foods outside the usual stuff.

gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

Re: Food

Postby gsimson » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:49 am

paddle with a buddy.... a la Alexander Pearce. :o

Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:55 am

I eat boring stuff. But I found the precooked rice packets really good and easy and use very little fuel to heat. Aldi ones are good value.

There are a number of online sources for bagged lamb shanks and stuff now if you want really fancy restaurant quality food (literally, when you have them you will recognize how a restaurant managed to have slow cooked shanks etc ready for everyone without throwing out tons of unordered food every night). They also have bag preserved curries and stuff.
Dehy doesn't make a lot of sense if you are hauling the water to hydrate it anyway.

ConYak
KAYAK: Impex Force 5, Q Kayaks Penguin, Hobie Revolution 13

Postby ConYak » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:50 pm

I found the large tins of chunky soup give a pretty good value meal which is basically just a heat and eat job.
Or if cooking for two just add one of the precooked rice packets.
Good judgement comes from experience~and experience well that comes from poor judgement

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:38 pm

Im not doing the canned soup again, was gagging to get the last one I had down then its a hassle smashing it flat with a rock. Too slimey.

gonetroppo

Postby gonetroppo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Yes I'm not a fan of dehydrated meals, expensive and I like to use my water for drinking only as its usually in short supply. I do find the canned/packet type microwave meals pretty good, although I find cans are too heavy and cant be burnt.
Lunch is a struggle to cater for as we're usually on the move and have no time for cooking, I'm thinking about trying cheeses, salamis, spreads and flat breads/biscuits this next trip I have coming up, I cant stomach tinned fish/chicken unfortunately and then there's the tins to carry and dispose of too.

Anyone had experience with how cheese and salami keeps over a week?

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:59 pm

I can't stomach lunch when paddling. Just chocolate and museli bars for carb energy and get nutrition at night.

Tuttle
KAYAK: Perception Eclipse 16

Postby Tuttle » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:52 am

Little pavlova nests some fresh fruit and a can of spray cream which keeps for a while out of the fridge if the weather is coolish. I like cous cous as it can be made with boiling water poured over it, add some oil and chicken stock for extra tasty then just cover with water and stir until light and fluffy.

landsailor
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak

Postby landsailor » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Ive got a spreadsheet meal plan for multiple days so I dont have to think when shopping. Some filling, easy-cook options Ive got listed are:-

TastyBites Indian curries (foil packets) + precooked rice - stir in rice and heat
Stir-in pesto sauce and angel-hair pasta - some parmesan on top
Stir in pasta sauce + gnocchi - (gnocchi only needs to be brought to boil and its ready)

Megan
KAYAK: Impex Montauk, Mirage 530

Postby Megan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:57 pm

I have often found through the years that you find a great product for camping only to find it eventually is not stocked. The number of semi-pre cooked rice foil packet options are good at the moment. It is a bit heavier than dehydrated stuff however you save on fuel weight and if it is not on your back it does not seem to matter us much. Just use a bit of water to help break up and heat up the rice. However, sadly I cannot find the foil pack Heinz Big eats which I used a lot on a recent trip around Australia, it had real chicken in it and tasted so much better than anything in a can. There is a foil pack of Woolworths Select product Mexican Rice, it would be a big meal for one person. Asam coconut milk powder is great for making your own curry sauce. I tend not to cook too spicey when sea kayaking so I use it with curry powder rather than say a Thai green curry paste which I would use at home.

I have kept salami and cheese for three weeks camped in the Northern Territory with no power, daily temperatures above 30 and nightly down to 15 C. Cheese: buy hard block cheese (tasty, Swiss etc), store it in a cotton bag / cheese cloth bag. It allows it to sweat and the open cheese did not go off before we finished eating it. You can also get Kraft cheddar in the blue box or the unfridgerated cheese portions as a safer option or for later in the trip.
Salami: it does keep quite well without a fridge especially when it has not been opened, beyond the manufacturers recommendation ...
I stored the excess quantity in net a bag in the river during the day, the river was probably 20 degrees. We used it in lunches, however I had a few meals with salami to ensure it was consumed quickly once opened. I like using wraps for lunch. You can wrap up your excess meal if you want to. Mission wraps are really good. Plain white wraps tend to stay softer then wholegrain ones tend to dry out and crack up sooner.
I find that food that I would not serve up at home tastes great camping. Same goes for wine. Cask wine tastes great out in the wilds but not at the dinner table.

gonetroppo

Postby gonetroppo » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:10 pm

Great to hear you had success Megan, I'll give it a shot this time, it'll be a 7 day trip in the tropics, but from your experiences it sounds like it will survive long enough.
I've used the foil packet type meals in the past, the new(ish) Chunky meals are nice, and the Heinz 'beans of the day' packets are nice and filling too. I like the idea's of taking pasta and sauces but worry without some meat that I'll be left hungry, I normally pack 2 meals for dinner, the old paddling works up an appetite!

feraltek
KAYAK: Dagger Alchemy

Postby feraltek » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:35 pm

Giardiniera (pickled vegetables) keep ok without a fridge. Olives, capers & mustard add flavour to packaged foods. A plastic peanut butter jar with small holes in the lid is good for growing fresh mung bean and lentil sprouts. Continental surprise dehydrated peas. Cabanossi sticks.

stuart-melbourne
KAYAK: Arctic Raider

Postby stuart-melbourne » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:06 am

I once met this German guy on an extended trip who lived almost exclusively on pasta, cheese and salami. He had one pot to cook the pasta at night, melt in cheese for sauce and add salami slices. He made enough each night to fill a tupperware container for lunch the next day, and ate muesli bars for breakfast. Then reprated the whole cycle the next day.

I tried some and after a week of tinned soups it tasted bloody fantastic. Not sure I could do it twice a day for weeks on end though!

Stuart

peejay
KAYAK: Dancer, P&H Scorpio LV Mk2, Hybrid 550 Tiderace Xplore'L

Postby peejay » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Sunrice meals. Available at Woolworths. Delicious, includes meat in the sauce and plenty of varieties to suit anyone. Eat them everyday when at work.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:29 am

Just noticed yesterday that Coles is selling the dehydrated vegetable powder, basically a mix of various veges dehy and ground into fine powder.
Im sure it tastes foul, but a good way to keep vege nutrients in the expedition diet.
Its in the section near the organic and gluten free brands.

JohnP
KAYAK: Hobie Kayak

Postby JohnP » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:58 am

A small insulated cooler for bier is a trip must-have :D

Simonl
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak (Mango)

Postby Simonl » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:53 am

JohnP wrote:A small insulated cooler for bier is a trip must-have :D

Now you're talking!

When my wife and I go hiking, we pre-cook a few meals and vacuum seal them and then freeze them. They obviously won't last weeks but they will last a couple days. It means that you can pre-cook some bloody good meals and freezing them allows you to take a couple bottles of cider packed next to them for after the meal. While space may not be such an issue when kayaking, vacuum sealed meals take up no more space than the actual food, the wraper takes up little space as rubbish and the water you use to heat the meal can be re-used for a cuppa.

Simon

nicktzam
KAYAK: Nadgee, Two Yellow Penguins.

Postby nicktzam » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Found this stuff called Speck at Dandenong market, can be found in the Deli section of supermarkets and Gourmet Deli's, it's smoked pork almost like bacon and because it's smoked it keeps well, has a good layer of fat and of course heaps of protein not false energy that carbs provide,last East side of the Prom paddle went down well with the precooked rice pacs from aldi,Salami is still mystery bags like sausages,sachets of tuna available in some supermarkets instead of tins,easy to store and return, Agree with the mission wraps holds stuff together, refreshment always in cans, crushable and light.

Simonl
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak (Mango)

Postby Simonl » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:32 pm

OMG! I grew up with Spek. My old man is German and he used to fry it up in a pan with potatoes, onion, eggs and whatever else he could find. It's fat bacon. Really thick pieces. Certainly good to keep you alive!

It's very fatty and very rich. Many people may not stomach it but after a long hard paddle in the middle of winter, it will certainly give you back some energy!

Thanks for reminding me! :lol:

Simon

Ben_n9
KAYAK: Intex Explorer

Postby Ben_n9 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:40 am

I vacuum seal stuff! It keeps the food longer and stops anything getting in!

Return to “CAMPING”