Popular gas stove banned from sales

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Popular gas stove banned from sales

Postby gnarlydog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:10 pm

It seems that a popular camping stove has been banned from sales: http://www.expeditionaustralia.com.au/2 ... as-stoves/

I have a close friend that personally experienced the explosion of such stove while using it for cooking a meal, camping.
Lucky he was outside and away from the stove when that happened.
It appears that the design of the stove is faulty, not the gas canisters (Trangia people will be (un)happy to hear that? ;) )
As the stove contains the gas canister in very close proximity to the flame there is a distinct possibility to overheat the gas canister while cooking.
In a typical (Lindal type) gas canister stove the flame is above the canister or (better) away from the stove to prevent overheating therefore much safer.
I don't often see the offending stoves used for kayak camping (on a trip) but often at car-camping places

Simonl
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak (Mango)

Re: Popular gas stove banned from sales

Postby Simonl » Sat May 23, 2015 5:35 pm

Sorry for the late reply.

These have to be the worst stove ever invented by humans. I have 3 camping stoves and 4 hiking stoves and I'm embarrised to say it includes one of those generic type stoves.

Not withstanding the cheap crap build quality, the fact that it uses butane is bad enough. Liquid butane boils at about minus 2 degrees (thereabouts) and so when you cook with them (especially on a cold day) the butane canister can cool below the boiling temp. This means the liquid butane is quite happy to stay in the canister even at atmoshpheric pressures.

To simply boil a billy of water, I have had to remove the canister and put it in the boiling water to "entice" the gas out to finish the job! I hate them with a passion. It made my day when I heard they were banned!

Car camping is the cheapest form of camping and requires the least amount of commitment financially, that's why so many people bought them. Cheap!

I bought it because I am still on my search for the ultimate camping stove (boy I really was dreaming wasn't I?). I have my ultimate hiking stove, but for some reason camping stoves are just not a good as they could be….

Simon

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 pm

I have my ultimate hiking stove, but for some reason camping stoves are just not a good as they could be….

Is there a huge difference between your ideal hiking stove and your camping stove?
What are you looking for in both and how should they differ?

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Sat May 23, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi Gnarly.

There is for me. Last year I bought one of these for hiking:
http://www.primus.eu/omnilite-ti-fuelbottle and have used it quite a few times. Runs on LPG, sheltie, petrol, diesel, kero, you name it! Has 3 different jets which can be field changed depending on the choosen fuel. Being partly made from titanium it's reasonably light. Comes with a 600ml fuel bottle and it's all I need for hiking when my wife and I venture out, oh and kayaking which is really just hiking on water.

When it comes to camping weight and space are less of an issue. Also I camp a lot with my family and so often cook larger group meals and so a bigger stove with 2 - 3 burners is better. I don't need a multifuel stove for car camping as a 1.25Kg gas bottle is easy to take. I'm also partial to a nice steak cooked on a cast iron hotplate too. Mind you I only cook on gas if it's either inconvenient to cook on open fire or the rules/regs don't allow open fires, as can be the case in many Nat. Parks or if it's a total fire ban.

So, my ideal camp stove will be bigger, be more inclined to take a bashing and be a bit heavier. Most likely be made of stainless steel so that I can use a scourer on it to clean and know it's never going to rust, have recessed knobs that won't break, melt or poke out and be made of a thick enough gauge of sheet so as not to bend when I pick it up. Oh, and have a removable tray that will be dishwasher proof so that when we get home I can really give a good clean.

In a desparate effort to find a decent stove I imported one from the states. It's entirely made of stainless steel. It looked good on paper but i was once again to be disappointed.

I am in the process of building a 1200mm sheet metal folder. Once I finish it, my first project will be to design and make my own decent camp stove. One that I can use to park my car on! :D

Now, that will be a camp stove!!!

Simon

Bruce D
KAYAK: Southern Raider, Nadgee Solo, Valley Siriona

Postby Bruce D » Sun May 24, 2015 10:10 am

For those people who want to travel by plane and take their gas stove away with them, I recently got this device that allows me to use the butane cylinders with my Trangia gas burner, MSR and similar style burners.

The Butane cylinders are more easier to obtain as they are generally available in servo, hardwear shops and supermarkets, and is one of the most common style gas cylinder avaliable overseas.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gas-Bottle-A ... 1c3eae7e3b

It locks onto the top of the Butane cylinder and has the standard connection thread for most burners used for camping.

Bruce D

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Sun May 24, 2015 12:29 pm

the adaptor that Bruce suggests is indeed very handy and it saves me a bit of money on the gas canisters since I can now use the much cheaper ones available in so many more stores in Australia.

Image.

unfortunately these type of gas canisters are not so popular in Europe while the Campingaz ones (blue canisters) are much more widely used.
A different type of adapter is needed for the Campingaz style

Image.

ConYak
KAYAK: Impex Force 5, Q Kayaks Penguin, Hobie Revolution 13

Postby ConYak » Mon May 25, 2015 8:18 am

I grabbed one of these adaptors from BCF to use on the bottom of my Jetboil.
http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Gasmate-Butane-Appliance-Adaptor.aspx?pid=134786&menuFrom=571610#Recommendations
After a plane flight to WA and leaving the original gas at home, couldn't find a camping shop that sold gas canisters that fitted on the roads we travelled. This is also a very convenient option to use the cheap canisters.
One small plus is the bottle helps with the stability a bit effectively being a fourth and longer leg. The only downside I have noticed is it just doesn't quite fold up small enough to go inside the jetboil for transporting. If space is that much of an issue on a particular trip, then I just take the original 100g bottle that does fit inside.
Good judgement comes from experience~and experience well that comes from poor judgement

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Postby gbc » Tue May 26, 2015 6:14 am

Simonl wrote:Hi Gnarly.

There is for me. Last year I bought one of these for hiking:
http://www.primus.eu/omnilite-ti-fuelbottle and have used it quite a few times. Runs on LPG, sheltie, petrol, diesel, kero, you name it! Has 3 different jets which can be field changed depending on the choosen fuel. Being partly made from titanium it's reasonably light. Comes with a 600ml fuel bottle and it's all I need for hiking when my wife and I venture out, oh and kayaking which is really just hiking on water.

When it comes to camping weight and space are less of an issue. Also I camp a lot with my family and so often cook larger group meals and so a bigger stove with 2 - 3 burners is better. I don't need a multifuel stove for car camping as a 1.25Kg gas bottle is easy to take. I'm also partial to a nice steak cooked on a cast iron hotplate too. Mind you I only cook on gas if it's either inconvenient to cook on open fire or the rules/regs don't allow open fires, as can be the case in many Nat. Parks or if it's a total fire ban.

So, my ideal camp stove will be bigger, be more inclined to take a bashing and be a bit heavier. Most likely be made of stainless steel so that I can use a scourer on it to clean and know it's never going to rust, have recessed knobs that won't break, melt or poke out and be made of a thick enough gauge of sheet so as not to bend when I pick it up. Oh, and have a removable tray that will be dishwasher proof so that when we get home I can really give a good clean.

In a desparate effort to find a decent stove I imported one from the states. It's entirely made of stainless steel. It looked good on paper but i was once again to be disappointed.

I am in the process of building a 1200mm sheet metal folder. Once I finish it, my first project will be to design and make my own decent camp stove. One that I can use to park my car on! :D

Now, that will be a camp stove!!!

Simon

Have you tried a weber baby q? They aren't all things to all men but the are bloody close and do some of the better steaks and butterflied lamb roasts I have had in the scrub.

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Tue May 26, 2015 7:37 pm

Your about the second or third person to ask me that! No I haven't actually considered a weber Q mainly because they are bulky compared to a regular camp stove. I do recognise that they cook very well indeed but I also need an open burner for boiling water for pasta etc.

Maybe I do need to revisit such an idea. WRT adapters, I have a similar adapter that allows me to attach a coleman type LPG canister to my hiking stove. Not terribly suitable for hiking but last year we did a 3 week trip up to Fraser Is. and space was at a premium so I took the hiking stove and made up a small foldable stainless steel frame to hold a hot plate over the hiking stove. It all flat packed but still gave me the ability to cook some steak snags etc without the weight on the little hiking stove.

Cheers,

Simon

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Postby gbc » Wed May 27, 2015 9:00 am

You can boil water on them no worries - like a normal BBQ, I do my morning cuppa on it. It is all I take now for the family on our 2 week camps @ Fraser. Considering that you can also leave the frypans (buy the plate), camp ovens and various other paraphernalia at home, their size is somewhat offset. I was reserved about getting one for quite a while too, especially considering the cost, but it also gets used more often at home now than the big bbq it is that good. I'll stop ranting now haha.

TIMAX
KAYAK: Valley Aqanaut

Postby TIMAX » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Simonl wrote:Your about the second or third person to ask me that! No I haven't actually considered a weber Q mainly because they are bulky compared to a regular camp stove. I do recognise that they cook very well indeed but I also need an open burner for boiling water for pasta etc.

Maybe I do need to revisit such an idea. WRT adapters, I have a similar adapter that allows me to attach a coleman type LPG canister to my hiking stove. Not terribly suitable for hiking but last year we did a 3 week trip up to Fraser Is. and space was at a premium so I took the hiking stove and made up a small foldable stainless steel frame to hold a hot plate over the hiking stove. It all flat packed but still gave me the ability to cook some steak snags etc without the weight on the little hiking stove.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon.
How do yo boil water on the Weber?
I have a couple of MSR stoves that are great for light weight but wanting a camping stove for the back door of my Landrover Defender.
Last weekend at minus 5 degrees it was near impossible to boil water with my cheap butane stove. Im looking at Primus and Coleman for their 2 burner LPG stoves.
Tim

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:53 pm

I like the colman shelite stove, it looks like an old primus, i had one bolted on the back door of a cruser for a number of years it was beter than cariying gass

TIMAX
KAYAK: Valley Aqanaut

Postby TIMAX » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:59 pm

mick M wrote:I like the colman shelite stove, it looks like an old primus, i had one bolted on the back door of a cruser for a number of years it was beter than cariying gass

Yep I know the one Mick.
People either swear by them or swear at them.
I recon i cant go wrong with either a Coleman or Primus 2 burner

SimonM
KAYAK: Tahe Reval

Postby SimonM » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:33 am

I also have a coleman dual fuel stove for when we are car camping. It saw 5 months of daily use when we were touring around and it never missed a beat.

David Winkworth
KAYAK: Nadgees

Postby David Winkworth » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:39 pm

I was told by the staff at my local Bar-B-Ques Galore store the other day that the stove in question is NOT banned (don't you love that word!)

It was withdrawn from sale for modifications to the valving...to ensure the gas supply will shut off if temp rises too much.

'Will probably be back on the shelves for Christmas.

hunterwheeler
KAYAK: Hunter Wheeler

Postby hunterwheeler » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:47 pm

We own several of these and the only problem I've ever had is running out of gas at breaky time. There must be thousands of these cookers in use out there for very few problems. Are they going to ban BBQ's next because I'd imagine there is more injuries from them.

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:27 am

Iv just notised that gas mate have them advertised through Ausy desposals i think mabe the cheep imports are still out

ConYak
KAYAK: Impex Force 5, Q Kayaks Penguin, Hobie Revolution 13

Postby ConYak » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:57 pm

I see the latest Anaconda brochure for the Spinifex brand now says AGA approved - new & improved.
They don't fit in the hatch of my Impex anyway. I did look at how to cut it down as I liked the width of the burner compared to the smaller hiking stoves, but didn't have the motivation to follow the thought through and just bought a Jetboil system instead.
Good judgement comes from experience~and experience well that comes from poor judgement

Return to “CAMPING”