Marine maps for mallacoota nadgee eden coast

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
cnschulz
KAYAK: Current Designs Squall GTS 2012

Marine maps for mallacoota nadgee eden coast

Postby cnschulz » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:51 am

Gday,

Im planning a trip along the SE Australian coast in the area from Mallacoota to Eden and was wondering if anyone has a source of worthwhile maps for this area? The marine charts available are at a huge scale (1:150,000) and the 1:25,000 Topos as we know aren't the best for marine use.

Anyone got any alternate sources?

Cheers

c.

gages
KAYAK: Nadgee Kayaks

Re: Marine maps for mallacoota nadgee eden coast

Postby gages » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:11 am

Those 1:25 000 are probably your best bet if you don't know the area. There is a book called Walking the Wilderness Coast which gives a very detailed ( walking ) account of the coast but highlights the good camping spots for sea kayakers.
Other than that keep it on your right or left will keep you sorted : ) .The landings can be pretty wild at times but on a good forecast no probs.Anything from the NE North of Cape Howe can make these beaches very intimidating.

Bruce D
KAYAK: Southern Raider, Nadgee Solo, Valley Siriona

Re: Marine maps for mallacoota nadgee eden coast

Postby Bruce D » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:25 pm

I bought a licence copy of Memory maps Quick Charts of the East Coast, which gives me a full overlay of all the marine charts for the east Coast from Portland in Victoria through to Mornington Island in Queensland. Its the same charts as issued by the Australian Hydrographic Office, and the same as the Hydrographic Office own CD of charts with additional features.

It gives me to ability to make customised charts for trip planning, I can plan routes, import data from my GPS and upload maps into a tablet or mobile phone or print them off.

Navionics have a app for both Android and Apple devices, but without the ability of to directly print them off, but i don't know the source of their charts.

The alternative is to purchase the actual paper copies of the charts but since they cost around $25 ea that becomes expensive.

I must admit that the Navionic app charts on screen have better colours.

for Toppo maps I use Locus Pro for android devices, the advantage is that I was able to up load all my Garmin GPS data, routes, way points etc into it. but its has poor data for coastal areas.

Bruce D

Return to “CAMPING”