Keppels - post cyclone?

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
Kayakingwithgecko
KAYAK: All sorts

Keppels - post cyclone?

Postby Kayakingwithgecko » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:48 am

Hi
Does anyone have info on how the Keppels fared in the cyclone earlier in the year?
I'm looking for a winter trip and the Keppels are closer than the Whitsundays.
I know the resort area on Great Keppel suffered some significant erosion damage and National Parks have closed camping on Middle Island, also due to erosion.
Humpy Island used to have a nice camping area under a forest of casurinas - given the damage to trees etc on the mainland, I am wondering if the camping area on Humpy survived?
I've not had much luck with getting specific info from National Parks....
Cheers
Gecko

peejay
KAYAK: Dancer, P&H Scorpio LV Mk2, Hybrid 550 Tiderace Xplore'L

Re: Keppels - post cyclone?

Postby peejay » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:22 pm

If NPWS haven't closed Humpy then I think it would have survived in good shape. My experience of Humpy would suggest that it is a well protected campsite that would fare well in most blows. Do not be too worried about middle Is being closed. As a campsite it is pretty ordinary compared to the comforts of Humpy and is just a casual day paddle from your base on Humpy.

wink
KAYAK: Greenlander, Cortez, Dean 21 double

Re: Keppels - post cyclone?

Postby wink » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:50 pm

Hi Gecko, did you get out to the Keppels, and if so, how did you find the islands regarding the cyclone damage? I am planning to visit the group next week for a 14 day excursion and would be interested to know what state they are in. I'll try to report back on my experience of the damage.
Cheers wink

Return to “CAMPING”