Dry bags - What type do you use?

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
Simonl
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak (Mango)

Dry bags - What type do you use?

Postby Simonl » Sat May 02, 2015 8:21 am

Hi all,

Been looking at dry bags recently. I have noticed that they are made predominently from either ripstop nylon or heavy PVC, the latter seeming to be more expensive. Sea to Summit stuff seems OK so haved looked at them but they seem expensive for what they are.

Question is, do people prefer the the nylon or the PVC? WRT the PVC, I notice that BCF (boating camping fishing) sell a range of PVC dry bags that are quite "cheap". I decided to buy a 10L and a 20L bag from them. While 10L seems like a decent size, once you roll the thing up it' not big at all. The PVC seem a lot more durable but they also seem to take up more room as they are stiffer. The other thing I may need to consider, I ever I want it for hiking, the PVC will be too heavy. What are your thoughts?

Here's a link to the BCF dry bags: http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/camping/luggage/dry-bag.aspx?id=20405

Cheers,

Simon

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Re: Dry bags - What type do you use?

Postby Geoff » Mon May 04, 2015 6:20 am

Ortlieb

Geoff

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Mon May 04, 2015 8:13 am

8L sea to sumit, with a few 15L ones , dont get the sil nilon ther no good. Iv resently started yousing watershed, ther the best iv yoused, super expencive but 100% water tight, the pace has heeps of room and two taperd and two 15 L ones fit in without a porblem , my tent goes into a sea to sumit , as dose my tripod and tent poles and pegs

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Mon May 04, 2015 8:51 am

I have tried a few different brands and styles.

Sea2Summit Big River: great when new but started to leak after a while. Now only used for stuffing items that I don't mind if they get wet.
Outdoor Research: mostly OK but coating peeling off after a while> OR honored warranty and sent replacements from USA!
SeaLine: I use several different types. The most bombproof and durable are the Black Canyon and Baja. They are a bit stiff and maybe a bit sticky against each other when sliding them in the hatches but I have some that are still lasting after many years. There is a new line that I am now using: Nimbus. More supple but still waterproof. The interior is textured fabric that can be easily repaired with SeamGrip, something that I can not on other "shiny" dry bags.
Kodiak range also works but is a bit light for hard object (stoves, cans etc).

I had no luck with cheap generic type dry bags: they last for only a short time.
I am yet to try try the new Sea2Summit Stopper range ans they seem very close to the SeaLine Nimbus.

I only use small sizes of dry bags as larger ones (20L) don't fit that well in a tight hatch that is loaded with gear for weeks trip.
8L is very handy, 13L for larger items. I like to keep my sleeping bag (down) in a tight silnylon dry bag that is then inserted into a durable heavy duty dry bag. Being able to compress the down bag in its own slippery bag helps reducing bulk...
Last edited by gnarlydog on Tue May 05, 2015 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

seegurke
KAYAK: Valley Etain 17.3

Postby seegurke » Tue May 05, 2015 3:00 am

I'm using Sea to Summit dry bags. I really like the Big River series and haven't noticed any leakage yet as Gnarly mentioned. I won't recommend anything bigger than the 13l ones as this size is enough for almost everything and more smaller bags just make more of the space in your boat.
I also have an Ultra-Sil view dry bag (2l) for valuables but I am note sure if the connection between opaque and transparent fabric will stay waterproof...

My favourite is an M-sized eVent Compression dry sack for my sleeping bag. It's just impressive how much smaller you can get such gear when compressing and compared to other systems this one with the breathable bottom is just so easy to compress.

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Tue May 05, 2015 8:27 am

I really like the Big River series and haven't noticed any leakage yet as Gnarly mentioned.

my the Big River dry bags are not so new anymore and have been used repeatedly; they started to develop pinholes in the fabric.

Image.

While it is almost impossible to notice them with a naked eye, when I filled them with water I noticed drips in too many places that could be reasonably repaired.

Image.
repairing an Outdoor Research bag

Mind you, my Big river bags (I have a total of 10 bags) are a few years old now and could be that the manufacturer has improved the thin white waterproof coating of the fabric on the current ones...

gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

Postby gsimson » Tue May 05, 2015 9:00 am

Ortlieb- expensive but durable and they work.

haresfur
KAYAK: Nordcapp Poly, Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, Yost Sea Rider folder, Pyranha H2

Postby haresfur » Tue May 05, 2015 7:14 pm

The rubberised bags don't slide into the boat as easily as nylon and can be a PITA. You can make your own from heat sealable nylon if you have some sewing skills or a friend with skills. I don't know if you can get the heat sealable here but the nylon and plans are available from Seattle Fabrics.

mick M

Postby mick M » Wed May 06, 2015 8:02 am

Sea to sumit bags are easily mended with stiky back sail cloth , just work out wher the hole is, then cut a pach round the corners and stick it on , you can also youse it for mending cags and thermarests its avalabel through whitworths or your local sail maker

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Wed May 06, 2015 8:32 am

Thanks everyone. Like I said, I bought a couple of the heavy PVC bags from BCF. They are pretty rugged but will take up more room since they are not made from a woven material. One thing, while the concesus seems to be that 10L or so is a good general purpose size, I test fitted my goose down hiking sleeping bag in a 10L bag and while it did fit it was a very tight squeeze and I only managed to roll the top about 2 -3 times. Not sure if that is sufficient for effective waterproofing. It seems that a 20L bag is a little too big, 10L is a little too small and so a 13L bag would be about right for that purpose. For everything else a 10L bag would be good.

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Wed May 06, 2015 8:51 am

10L and it's a tight squeeze for a "goose down bag"?
Something doesn't add up: your perception of "squeezing" (down bags can be compressed really tight, no rolling) or your bag is worthy of Antarctic expedition :-)
Is it really goose down? or "down-like" material (actual labelling I have seen on a sleeping bag once...)

Here is a comparison: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com.au/20 ... rison.html

I like to have my down bag double bagged: sleeping bag into a silnylon light bag first, then inside a heavier duty dry bag. Having a leak from a dodgy dry bag wet my down bag could be nasty...

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Wed May 06, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi Gnarly,

It's a genuine goose down bag. While it's not a high end bag it wasn't cheap either. It was my wifes, she feels the cold much more than me and we often go camping in the Vic high country in winter. The dog chewed the zip on my bag so I got hers and we bought her a new bag. It is a warm bag rated at -12 (for what it's worth) but it will not pack up as small as your down bag in your pictures. I have a slightly warmer Fairydown bag (from when they were made in NZ) which may fit better, in fact it's probably a more realistic choice given the warmer temps experienced at sea level.

I was in Annaconda today and had a look at their Sea to Summit Big River dry bags. They look good.

Simon

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Wed May 06, 2015 7:16 pm

fair enough: honest -12C rating is much bulkier than "optimistic" 0C my down bag (depicted) is rated at.
Then again here in Qld temps are a bit warmer along the coast.
For winter camping in the Australian Alps I use something beefier that might not fit in that small bag I have shown.

JasonBilly
KAYAK: AIPA hand shaped model that is 10'6 by 31 wide 5'' thick.

Postby JasonBilly » Tue May 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Simonl
I use the SealLine Kodiak Window 25L bag. I paddle touring kayaks but it should be just about the same. It is ideal size, it is a little more rugged than some bags and not overly stiff like others. It has a one-way vent (purge valve) which is good if you are not used to burping dry bags but will also give you less flotation so you may want to seal it. When the body is not on the lens you just give the bag an extra wrap when you seal it. http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/dry- ... ag/product

http://www.rei.com/product/784164

I have tried several deck bags for my smaller lenses and gear. I prefer the ones with a dry bag closure. This is currently my favorite and one of the only ones that is tall enough for a pro-body.

Rhysie
KAYAK: P&H Cetus, North Shore Atlantic RM, Valley Sirona RM

Postby Rhysie » Wed May 20, 2015 2:17 pm

I would recommend not using any dry bag over 20L. They take up a lot of usable space and are hard to fit in your kayak. I have found using smaller dry bags you will fit more in. You can also use different colour bags for different items ie -Red (First Aid) -Blue (cooking equipment) -Orange (clothes) -Green(food) etc. That makes it easier to find things when you make camp.

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Wed May 20, 2015 7:52 pm

I agree with Rhysie, I reckon 13 litre dry bags are pretty much an ideal size. Smaller is better.

JohnP
KAYAK: Hobie Kayak

Postby JohnP » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:56 am

it’s important to know which dry sack is the right choice for your intended use and activity. I use ultra-light Ultra-Sil® Nano

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:56 am

Thanks for the info guys!

Simon

mick M

Postby mick M » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:11 am

Iv resently started yousing watershed bags, ther balky and big but the best iv ever yoused, and with the volume in my boat its not an isue to slide them in.. Grate for folding kayaks as well

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:37 pm

I have a few of those heavy PVC dry bags. Late last year I did my first multiday kayak trip down the east coat of the Prom. I realised how much extra room these type of bags take up. They also do not fit in tight spots or scrunch up too well. I have since bought some dry bags from Aldi (3 different sizes for $7) and for the price, these are excellent. I use them for hiking as well.

Either way, I won't be buying PVC dry bags ever again.

Simon

Return to “CAMPING”