Nav Charts

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
GrahamB
KAYAK: Easky 15'

Nav Charts

Postby GrahamB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:54 am

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm planning my first camping trip along the Cornish coast (UK). Can anyone recommend which charts/maps to use and scales? I'm a merchant mariner so I'm familiar with Admiralty charts but perhaps there are more practical publications.

Thanks in advance

Graham

Pipit
KAYAK: Tiderace, Kaskazi

Re: Nav Charts

Postby Pipit » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi Graham
I'm new here myself.
I use 1:25,000 OS maps and also have them on my smart phone to use with Memory Map. I'm considering getting the Memory Map marine charts which cover the whole of the UK and are very good value IMO. I also use a satellite map downloader which sucks up satellite image tiles from Bing (better than Google maps), joins all the tiles together to make one large image, and then I calibrate then in Memory Map Navigator to make geo-refereced useable moving maps for Memory Map on the smart phone. Well worth doing as it gives you a true picture of the lay of the land.

GrahamB
KAYAK: Easky 15'

Postby GrahamB » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:14 pm

Thanks for your response Pipit. Please excuse my late reply; I've been away with work.

Some great ideas there, really appreciate it. I'll take a look at your suggestions when I get home.

Graham

Pipit
KAYAK: Tiderace, Kaskazi

Postby Pipit » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:58 am

No problem Graham. If you decide to go down the Memory Map and maybe calibrating satellite images to use with MM, just get in touch. We used quite a few "home-made" calibrated satellite maps in Memory Map this last week paddling up in North-west Scotland. They were very useful for looking at the lie of the land when we needed to plan suitable take-out places along some rather rocky coastlines.

Liz

Return to “CAMPING”