Cooking bread on a Trangia.

Equipment , Packing , Locations , Recipies
Wattie
KAYAK: Tahe Greenland T

Cooking bread on a Trangia.

Postby Wattie » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:04 pm

Hi all, I haven't been here for a few years. Looks like it has dropped off a bit. At the end of the day it is because people like me who don't contribute.

I will add a post or at least a comment as often as I can. These forums are dying and it would be a shame to see them die.

I have been making bread on my Trangia for the last few years and it is easy. I have added a link to a YouTube clip I made yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDTXFUWSr7Q

Mulga
KAYAK: Nadgee Solo

Re: Cooking bread on a Trangia.

Postby Mulga » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:38 pm

Nice work. I will give that a try :)

Brodie
KAYAK: Epic 16X - Tempest 170 Pro

Postby Brodie » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:29 am

So now we can add video production to your growing list of expertise. Nice video. I'm going to give that one a go. I think I spotted two familiar islands in the background. It seemed like all of Albany emerged into the great outdoors yesterday for the first sunny weekend in about 7 months. Beautiful.

David Winkworth
KAYAK: Nadgees

Postby David Winkworth » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Wattie,

Gee, you're industrious! I admire your work but it does seem like a LOT of work! But then bread Is a lot of work. I make bread at home in those big black baker's tins and have simplified my work by proving the dough in their tins inside a black garbage bag and proving once only. It has really made no difference to the quality of the bread. A good 10 - 15 mins of kneading is important though.

On paddling trips though I just make dampers on a small open fire in a stainless pot with a lid. It takes half an hour only. Mix the flour and water - add a little baking powder perhaps - knead for 15 seconds - put a few cuts in the top to allow for expansion - and place on a trivett in the pot. Sit pot on some coals and add a few coals to the lid. It's a pretty nice treat with dinner after a long day. I think the only advantage of making bread over damper is its keeping quality over...say..2 days or more. Mine only last one meal!

If you want to be really organized you can measure out the flour and whatever herbs etc you want to add into ziplock bags before you leave home.

Wattie
KAYAK: Tahe Greenland T

Postby Wattie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:25 pm

Thanks for the feedback Brodie and David. Brodie, this is out at Alexanders Bay 100km East of Esperance. I just love the spot. And yes the weather was fantastic last weekend. Hmmm, not looking forward to this weekend though. I will be organising it and was thinking about some surf practice along Middleton. Hope you can make it.

David, it is more the fun of making it more than anything else. I also know that I could halve the time leaving it to settle. I must admit though, when you are sitting on the beach after a long day there is nothing better that biting into a piece of freshly baked bread with jam. I have also developed some great dried food recipes. I will make some you-tube videos of those. It is more "fun" making your own than just getting the packet stuff.

Return to “CAMPING”