side surfing with a stick

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Re: side surfing with a stick

Postby gnarlydog » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Avoided the whole commercial interest declaration thing nicely there eh mate?

thanks for reminding me Steve but I was not sure if everybody was as interested in my involvement with NLP as you are.
In my blog post (http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com.au/20 ... arbon.html) I say: I have been appointed as Australian East Coast ambassador for Northern Lights paddles. I have a selection of Greenland and Aleut sectional paddles to try. Feel free to contact me at gnarlydognews(at)gmail.com for a demo paddle.
The extend of the "agreement" with NLP? I received several paddles to test as long as I am also happy to lend them to other interested kayakers too.
It is GnarlyDog News policy however to not accept any payment for any items submitted for review.
More details on how I came across NLP here: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com.au/20 ... mment-form
I also have one of Tom's paddles and it is indeed a beautiful paddle with plenty of strenght.
For more details on my policy about product review vist my blog

digital_steve
KAYAK: Valley Rapier 20

Postby digital_steve » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:50 pm

This forum isn't gnarlydog news

Yeah, Tom's paddles look lovely.

fat_old_bastard
KAYAK: Rockpool GT, Aquanaut HV RM

Postby fat_old_bastard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Looks like a very good ad for the P&H Delphin.

fat_old_bastard

Postby fat_old_bastard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:54 pm

For some real kayaking action check out this old Yappa vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3_MpcNGAbI

Or if you prefer sea-kayaks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8roaOB1sTPE

Enjoy !

fat_old_bastard

Postby fat_old_bastard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Sorry if you have seen this one before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YoL8Kuyn5U

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:10 pm

FOB those are very lovely videos that highlight great action in the water by talented kayakers.
What I fail to see is the relevance to the topic: I kind of see it as apples to oranges.
My original point was to highlight that the often common local perception (Australia) that Greenland paddles are only good for rolling and paddling in calm waters
needs updating.
But by any means, keep on posting the great action links.
Anything of your own that you might be able to contribute?

fat_old_bastard

Postby fat_old_bastard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi Gnarly,

Sorry to revive an old thread and stir the pot.

In answer to your question the relevance is that although James Manke is clearly a very gutsy paddler (and needless to say much much better than me) what we can see in the vid which you linked to is just a paddler sidesurfing whitewater. And the reason why he was stuck sidesurfing for so long was most probably because on the day either the conditions were too big for him or his skills or strength at the time were not up to the task of escaping the sidesurf.

Basically what we see in that vid is a demonstration of guts and stamina. It's not a demonstration of skill.

And since on the day the paddler was merely hanging in there with hip or edge control it doesn't matter what kind of paddle he was holding.

I'm not criticizing GPs I'm just saying that the paddle was irrelevant. Sidesurfing is sidesurfing. As they used to say "Lean downstream". Sidesurf = not in control.

FOB AKA Mick

Kayaker Greg
KAYAK: Breaksea, Beachcomber, Slingshot, Stellar SES, SEL, Fenn Swordfish, stick for bivy, wing for fast

Postby Kayaker Greg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 pm

I can verify that my greenland paddle is great to hoist one end of my hammock when there are no trees around and so utilise it as a bivy.
Also great for clubbing possums to death that invade the camp. Only good possum in NZ is a dead possum.
Wouldn't want to use my good carbon wing paddles for any of that.

fat_old_bastard

Postby fat_old_bastard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:28 pm

Whoa ! I'm not anti-GP.

A greenland stick in the right hands is a beauty to behold. I assume everyone has seen Warren Williamson at Deception Pass ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfuVuSoHdXI

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:34 pm

thank you for clarifying a few things gentlemen
I am now the wiser
BTW I believe there has been much talking but very little action since the challenge (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72&start=20#p12428), or am I wrong?
There is a Mexican still willing to part with his money if anybody has got the skillz to do it :-)
And that certainly ain't me; I am just happy to be practicing

fat_old_bastard

Postby fat_old_bastard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Or for some real sea-kayak surfing at Skook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5UGNppmrqQ

fat_old_bastard

Postby fat_old_bastard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Here we are arguing about paddles.

Real men don't use paddles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvTxJ8eIeg

malaitony
KAYAK: Wet

Postby malaitony » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm

It's good to practice side surfing for when a wave wants to take you out & the stick works fine.
http://youtu.be/khV2Tzg_wks

jamesmanke
KAYAK: P&H, Tahe, Sterling, Custom Greenland Qajaqs

Postby jamesmanke » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:20 am

Let me clarify for you guys... this was a few years back now, I had only been paddling for 2 years at this point. Stuck, yes, I was stuck after a few minutes! At first I intended to side surf and then realized I put myself in a bit of a pickle. I charged the eddy fence right at highest tide so it was ripping however I know that foam pile would mellow out eventually... it was just a matter of time. I had no experience in foam piles like this and this was my opportunity to learn. I did not have the skills nor knowledge to get myself out of that foam pile truthfully. I know a roll could get me out if I could catch some green but it was intimidating to even think about rolling. I've been window shaded at Skook before and let me tell you... that's head spinning and a bit scary. I know now what to do after spending some time in foam piles over the past few years and paddlers have since shown that there is control to be had in foam piles with sea kayaks. The Greenland paddle does not have as much initial purchase as a euro blade does so I would argue that a euro blade is better in heavy foam piles however that will not stop me from using a GP in this kind of stuff. This is all about learning and exploring... things have now been done with GP's that folks have said is not possible. A Greenland paddle will increase your body and kayak awareness BIG TIME, especially in large conditions. This only make you a better paddler in my opinion. Although I am better known for using a Greenland paddle, I use both GP and Euro paddles.. to me it is all about diversity, learning and growing. I've come a long way since that video went out! Thanks guys for the mention and stoked to stir up a bit of a fire even it this thread was a couple years back :) I love it when people think about diversity!

Random
KAYAK: Tahe Wind 585

Postby Random » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:51 am

I currently use a handcrafted wooden GP. I can say that I love it due to the fact, that I don't stress my body even after many hours of paddling. Also with the GP I never miss a roll. My boat wind 585s hull is rudder oriented I think, so a wing paddle would suit better for this kind of boat. Nevertheless I am in the view of using a wing for training purposes, and the GP for longer trips or expeditions..my 2c though
Leave it to Random to needlessly complicated things

Return to “TECHNIQUE”