What's safer, a ski or a kayak....?

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
Hobartian
KAYAK: Tahe Zegul 550

Re: What's safer, a ski or a kayak....?

Postby Hobartian » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:24 pm

Remounting a surf ski is easy for some and very difficult for others.

The paddler in the video below certainly didn't find it easy after fatigue set in after repeated remounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iovCY8xNWqA&t=37s
In life, you reap what you sow.

cheaterparts
KAYAK: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.

Postby cheaterparts » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:29 am

a bit of an interesting read but of cause there are so many things that haven't been looked at and should be

whats safer a 45 cm wide ski or a 45 cm wide kayak - there are some assumptions that all skis are only ocean racing skis
now on the other hand a 60 cm wide ski to a 60 cm wide kayak

dru wrote:My fishing ski is more stable than both, happy to use it anywhere-ish, but the dynamic stability and handling characteristics are much better in my sea kayak.

On our last Surf practice day with our fishing skis we did a trip to Anglesea Vic after a stormy week ( the surf was ugly by the way ) and the only guys on the beach were some surf life savers practising with there surf boats

of cause we got knocked over quite a few times I had to remount twice in the surf zone on one trip in through the surf and while it was damm hard work was quite do able - I dont know how that would be done on a kayak with the surf and any assisted recoveries would be down right dangerous
there are a group of us that do surf practice days a couple of times a year just to practice for getting off shore -

as for assisted recoveries with out perimeter lines I have assisted a few fishos back on SOTs and fishing skis the lines dont come into play - it's simple as parking on the opposite side of there ski to the punter getting on - grab there hand and help drag them on - not graceful but effective

like Dru I find my fishing ski quite good it's stable has good secondary and at 5.25 meters long and 61 cm wide is quite quick -

so whats safer my guess it's what you practice on

Floater
KAYAK: looking

Postby Floater » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:56 am

I have been practicing in/on both a kayak and a ski.
Yet to make up my mind what to buy.

Having practiced capsize and re-entry with both kayak and ski, I found without assistance it was much easier to climb back on a ski over the kayak. The kayak still needed to have water removed before I could paddle away again, which may lead to another capsize if I was in a bad place. I have not used a mechanical/electric pump to remove water from cockpit so cannot comment.

I guess it comes down to common sense, if you cant eskimo roll or re-enter a kayak on your own then don't paddle by yourself away from easy shore access, and if you cant climb back on a ski by yourself then don't paddle by yourself away from easy shore access.

Neither a kayak nor a ski is "safe" if you don't have sufficient skill and knowledge.

Return to “TECHNIQUE”