Chest Beating, Defined

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
StrangeMagic
KAYAK: Epic 16X, AE Airfusion

Chest Beating, Defined

Postby StrangeMagic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:46 pm

The subject of chest beating falls naturally under Technique. It is a technique, but there's been a recent question about it on another subforum here, questioning what it was. The most recent excellent example I've seen was: "35 mph winds and 3 foot waves isn't much. Paddled in much worse." And from the same author, discussing the same topic on another kayaking website: "My daughter and I went out once and were warned of a front coming through in an hour. It did and possibly picked up to near 30 knots. We rafted and ran with her comment, 'Boring', as we ran home."

Now let's see what Derek Hutchinson says about 35 mph winds: "Force 7, Moderate Gale, Very Difficult. You must be strong and experienced; your equipment should be good. Seas are big. Kayaks difficult to turn. Very difficult to make headway. Wind catches at paddle blades. Foam is blown off in long white streaks, lots of spray. Communication very difficult."

Chest beating, then, is stating that Force 7 isn't much, and that you have paddled Much Worse. Force 8 maybe, Gale? Or maybe Force 9, Strong Gale? Hutchinson is almost poetic in his descriptions of these as experienced by the kayaker out in such conditions. To be accurate, though, the author of the Much Worse remark did somewhat lessen the punch of the outing with his daughter by stating the wind "possibly picked up to near 30 knots". This more like chest tapping, but a hand-held anemometer would have allowed him to state the wind strength with more authority. The hand-held anemometer is the must-have piece of technology for truly believable chest beating; I never paddle without one.

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Re: Chest Beating, Defined

Postby gnarlydog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:30 pm

The hand-held anemometer is the must-have piece of technology for truly believable chest beating; I never paddle without one.

I wonder what bothers you with the "chest beating" of others that can't provide evidence of conditions and inflate numbers.
So, you then believe that the accurate instrument will lead to "accurate" reporting?
I didn't think so...

Call me doubting Tom but the closest I come to believe any story is a simple piece of evidence: some motion footage; still images don't cut it, really.
On the other hand the "commercial guys" maybe have a different motive: street cred for the prospective clients?

But the most important thing to me is: my chest beating should happens inside me when I know that I bettered my skills and now I can tackle conditions that I was afraid of before.

Garry
KAYAK: Sladecraft Comet ,Mirage 580

Postby Garry » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:03 pm

This morning I set off in the predawn light for a gentle paddle. Not even a hint of a zephyr to disturb the glassy surface of the water.

Really, I did. Though it doesn't have the impact of.....

"We'd need to wait for a really big, gnarly day, then paddle a few kilometres offshore (for situational authenticity) and do some remounts and rolls (respectively) while being thumped by white-caps."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gnarly

If only I had a day named after me...."We'd need to wait for a really big, garry day".... nah, doesn't work.

Redback
KAYAK: Nelo K1; Hayden PR2 Spec; Stellar SES; Touring Double Ski (Project)

Postby Redback » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:28 pm

The tongue (firmly embedded in my cheek) wasn't visible from where you were sitting? :-)

I'm surprised the use of "situational authenticity" didn't give it away...

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

I had to give my chest a bit of a thump after even saying 'situational authenticity' out loud, to stop the coughing fit it brought on....

StrangeMagic
KAYAK: Epic 16X, AE Airfusion

Postby StrangeMagic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:53 pm

Gnarlydog has brought more insight to this little-discussed technique, with his subdivision of chest beating into both the external form and the quieter and more elusive internal form. I myself prefer the internal form, and I salute Gnarlydog for making the distinction clear.

Thus, we now have both external and internal; we have anemometer-authenticated (or not); and varying intensity of chest beating, from full gorilla-style to gentle tapping. A subject ripe for further investigation. :-)

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:19 am

" The hand-held anemometer is the must-have piece of technology for truly believable chest beating; I never paddle without one."

You (kids?) are so lucky now being able to buy all those gadgets, cell phones, VHF, GPS, anemometers. I'm talking the days when they weren't available and previous to that, not even a decent chest to beat. The "no decent chest" would be when as kids we'd head out to the open sea for the day in a sailing dinghy, no communications or instrumentation and not much of a chest. The only rules were, back by dinner time, don't drown yourself. Either of those rules broken and you won't be allowed to do it again. We tended not to drown ourselves.

A question, what do you all carry when at sea? Cell phone? VHF? GPS? Flares? Anemometer?

My answer is VHF only as the rest aren't necessary or won't work. Chest? Not much of one, just enough to keep the essentials in.

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 am

We all need heros, we all want to be heros.
Chest beating is a sure way to gather attention but often the wrong one.
Tales of super human efforts are received with admiration by the fool, with consternation by the savvy, followed by condemnation.
Don't be that guy.
The real hero needs no chest beating.

oiddad
KAYAK: stellar se sladecraft slr

Postby oiddad » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:35 pm

I'm with Garry. Beautiful early morning paddle from Belinger to Mylstom. Coffee on a bank with wedge tailed eagle picking up fish from river with gay abandon. Once at Mylstom paddled to the river mouth at Urunga for some playful waves at entrance with pod of dolphins with young. Chest beating? Where's the fun and enjoyment in that. To each their own I guess.

JohnA
KAYAK: Australis Gecko, Valley Nordkapp RM.

Postby JohnA » Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Context is important too. Force 7 on enclosed water could be a stimulating work out. On an unprotected lea shore with rebound off the cliffs and a fully developed sea, well that might be a scenario that would see this particular atheist praying fervently. Probably via the white telephone.

Collo
KAYAK: XploreX, Taran, S18, Gemini SP

Postby Collo » Fri May 01, 2015 8:21 pm

On the other hand, the "commercial guys" maybe have a different motive: the receipt of free or heavily discounted gear in exchange for product reviews written with a certain bias? Hmmm...

schroeds
KAYAK: The mighty Raider X, Red 7 Pro racing ski

Postby schroeds » Fri May 01, 2015 10:33 pm

I considered getting a hand-held anemometer...but I'm not medcally qualified

Return to “TECHNIQUE”