Online videos

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Online videos

Postby Geoff » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:45 am

Gee it concerns me when I see a video online that shows surfing and the person in the video is continually high bracing with their elbow at or above shoulder height. Some people have a big following because their videos show a lot of spectacular footage and are very well put together but many of the people following these videos also assume that the person starring is an expert. And hence, they learn that this is the correct way to surf.
I teach people that as soon as your elbow approaches shoulder height in a brace that you are exposing yourself to shoulder dislocation. Something to be avoided. A good high brace keeps the elbows tucked in tight.
Geoff

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Re: Online videos

Postby gnarlydog » Mon May 30, 2016 12:47 pm

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Mon May 30, 2016 12:53 pm

but wait, here is one a bit more adrenaline filled: https://youtu.be/-kbAzEtgEaA
This guy is good, very good
.... of course, with a stick :-)

Terryb
KAYAK: Malestrom

Postby Terryb » Tue May 31, 2016 3:07 pm

Be interesting to have a video of yourself to see what you really do in the surf. You recon you know all about keeping safe 'in the box' but be interesting to see what you really do in the thick of action.

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:12 am

I get by in the surf Terry but I prefer to get long rides rather than broach. https://vimeo.com/103055447
I am a Level II AC Sea Instructor like yourself and feel I have a duty of care to point out to any beginners what constitutes safe practise in surf. In fact, how I surf is irrelevant, but lifting an elbow above shoulder line is asking for an injury.
Geoff Murray

Terryb
KAYAK: Malestrom

Postby Terryb » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:22 pm

In no way did I mean you in my comment Geoff, I was thinking generically and of myself. I recon I am 'safe' in the surf but a video may show something different when in action mode. :)

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:48 pm

Ah gotcha Terry. Yes, we all become less than elegant at times depending on conditions. I must admit at 60 years of age I tend to avoid bigger surf for fear of getting injured. But I love smaller surf, especially where that video was taken. It just goes and goes..... :)

peejay
KAYAK: Dancer, P&H Scorpio LV Mk2, Hybrid 550 Tiderace Xplore'L

Postby peejay » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:25 pm

Thanks to the link to your videos Geoff. I thoroughly enjoyed them. I left Tasmania for Qld 30 years ago and have only been sea kayaking the past 10 years in the balmy confines of Moreton Bay and Northern Qld waters. I am seriously developing a need to experience the challenges and scenery of paddling Tasmania and your videos have done nothing to suppress that urge. Thanks again.

Return to “TECHNIQUE”