What order to rescue boat, paddler and blade

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
oyvindbl
KAYAK: NDK Romany, Tiderace Vortex, NDK Greenlander Pro, Seabird Qanik,

What order to rescue boat, paddler and blade

Postby oyvindbl » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:21 am

In what order will you rescue kayak, paddler and blade on the sea, and why?
Is the order depending on variables like distance to shore, wind, waves, temperature, clothing, etc?

I had a discussion on this topic with a fellow paddler today, and we did not have the same thoughts about it, so now I wonder what the rest of you think, and why.

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Re: What order to rescue boat, paddler and blade

Postby Camanche73 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:05 am

Paddler first and foremost. I guess there could be circumstances where you need to rescue the boat to rescue the paddler (long way out with no recovery method for the paddler without their boat) and this could cause some discussion, but ultimately any decision made is in line with the end goal of 'rescuing' the paddler.

Rhysie
KAYAK: P&H Cetus, North Shore Atlantic RM, Valley Sirona RM

Postby Rhysie » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:27 pm

I think that in Australia where water temperatures are a little more moderate than the waters of the northern hemisphere or our Kiwi cousins there is a lesser chance of hypothermia. In colder water you need to get the paddler out of the water as quick as possible, hence rescue the paddler first then the kayak.
In warmer waters you have the option of collecting the kayak and towing it to the paddler in the water.
Try putting a swimmer on your bow or stern and then paddle to the kayak, it's extremely difficult.
Obviously if there are more than 2 in the group you have the option of grabbing both the paddler and the kayak.

Grumpy
KAYAK: Atlantis Spartan

Postby Grumpy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:43 pm

Getting the paddler,out of harms way is always top priority. For a competent paddler to be separated,from his boat, the conditions must be a little more tahn benign. Even if the waves were only one foot high, mit would be much more difficult to,find the paddler,than the boat.
Agreed,that it is,not easy to get a paddler on to your fore or aft deck, and it is not easy to paddle a kayak under those circumstances. However, we need to keep in mind, that it is much easier to replace a paddle or a kayak than it is to replace the paddler, regardless of the water temperatures.

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Can't say I agree with everyone going for the paddler first unless you happen to be close to landable shore. A kayak and paddle is a paddler's lifeline, they need it to survive. Paddling after an empty kayak with another paddler onboard isn't going to happen unless its dead calm, in which case he shouldn't be in the water anyway. The paddler in the water should raise their paddle for visibility and the errant kayak should be collected post haste with the rescuer being VERY mindful of the other paddler's position. Forget the paddle, you should have a spare on your back deck.
Geoff

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:11 pm

I think there are far too many variables to have a set order. Is the paddler injured, is there surf\rocks, is it night, is it arctic waters, are you up/down wind, are there other boaters in the area, is the paddler wearing a PFD etc.
I also think the word 'rescue' is misused. Only the paddler needs 'rescuing' equipment can be recovered.
I beleive your task is to rescue the paddler, and you develop a course of action to affect that task dependent on the circumstances. Sometimes that course of action will involve recovering the boat first, sometimes it won't.

haresfur
KAYAK: Nordcapp Poly, Wilderness Systems Tempest 165, Yost Sea Rider folder, Pyranha H2

Postby haresfur » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:55 pm

There are lots of variables but my first rapid assessment question would be to figure out why the paddler let go of his/her kayak and paddle. Shouldn't happen - certainly not both. Nearly always I would say paddle last because you always have a spare on deck, right? And you always have a tow line so you can tow them after you get them back in the boat, right? Or perhaps they can tow you because they are the one that lost theirs, eh? 8-)

So is the paddler in danger if you don't get them out of there? Are they so far from their boat and the conditions bad enough that you won't be able to get the boat back to them or that you might lose sight of them? Are we talking surf zone? In those cases take care of the paddler and be ready to call for help.

As others pointed out, in most other situations you are more likely to get the kayak back to them than the other way around and it is much safer to have someone in a kayak than on a deck. I would hope that in most open water situations there would be someone close enough to get the boat before it drifts away and ideally there would be a third person to help pick up the pieces.

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Postby mick M » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:44 am

Im with Geoff on this one, just about all the time boat ferst I wold never contimplate a back deck cary as I just havent got what it takes to look after myself with somone on my back deck in the situations wher somone wold be in the water.
Also if your the one in the water are you a victum or a casulty?
A casulty is sumone who helps to save themselves a victim is sumone who closes down and needs resquing

BlueLotus
KAYAK: AIRHEAD

Postby BlueLotus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:49 pm

I love sailing, but not aware about the risk factors that we have to face when we use kayak, paddler and blade. This question really made me think about that. I guess all such sailings need more safety factors, which will help the sailors. It was great to read.
outsource medical billing BL

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:04 am

way to many variables for any hard fast answer for me. I would have to look at weather conditions, visibility, water temps, his ability to survive in the water, paddler condition, does he have a radio, how far from shore, do you have the ability to rescue him on your kayak. Can you get him to shore on your kayak. Can you summon other rescue if needed in time? I guess the decision must be made fast in a matter of 20 seconds but if things are bad leading to up to being dumped out the though process should be under way and discussed before leaving shore if possible.

Floater
KAYAK: looking

Postby Floater » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:17 pm

Dumb beginner question: If conditions restrict the effectiveness of rescue then why take that person out kayaking in those conditions in the first place? Surely they should build up their skills first?
I have had some beginner classes and emphasis was on self rescue, in case of capsize grab your own paddle and start swimming to your kayak.

cheaterparts
KAYAK: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.

Postby cheaterparts » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:13 pm

Floater wrote:Dumb beginner question: If conditions restrict the effectiveness of rescue then why take that person out kayaking in those conditions in the first place? Surely they should build up their skills first?
I have had some beginner classes and emphasis was on self rescue, in case of capsize grab your own paddle and start swimming to your kayak.

First off I don't believe any question on safety is dumb that includes paddler rescues -- and there are a lot of variables that makes this question not quite straight forward

the only time I have had to do this was on a fishing trip out around Cape Woolamai off the South West side of Phillip Island there was a bit of swell running and the std side chop of the area ( the fishing was poor by the way ) anyway on the way back in through Cleeland bight there was a nice little break on the middle sand bar
So the new game plan stow the rods and catch some runners - my mate Leejo was caught out by a bigger wave that stood up and tricked him ( he had also upgraded his fishing ski to something longer and had not done a lot of miles on it )
as it happens he was in the drink separated from his kayak in about 3 meters of water along the surf break - now the distance to land were 1.8 km to our launch site across the tide and about 1.5 km to the easiest landing near Sam Remo - the tide was heading that way so was the wind and faster still so was Leejos kayak caught in the surf wash

So my first call was to make sure my mate was ok which he was and had his paddle still in hand , his paddle lease had snapped - I also asked if he was right to float around for a while and I'd grab his yak - again he was ok with that
I headed down to his kayak a good 100 meters away and towed it back along the deeper water out of the surf zone - leejo had also swam his way across to the deeper water out of the surf zone for an easier remount

with the kayak that far away and the wind pushing it there would be little chance for leejo to swim to it and my guess off shore with the wind very few could swim to a kayak if separated from it

cheaterparts
KAYAK: Stealth Profisha 525 --- OK Prowler Ultra 4.3.

Postby cheaterparts » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:13 pm

???

Rob P.
KAYAK: Explorer HV, Delphin, Romany S, SOF

Postby Rob P. » Sat May 13, 2017 9:55 am

This was a test scenario for me on a BCU 3-Star weekend in Georgia. Water was cold enough to need dry suits (only because we are warm water wooses - it was not really cold). In a bouncy area over a sandbank I checked the paddler was not injured and could float, and told him to keep his paddle in the air so that I could see him in 3' swells. By this time his kayak was heading for the Atlantic. I caught it, brought it back on a short tow, got the swimmer on my boat, emptied his, put him back in, and we paddled on. The coach thought that was an acceptable response.

Return to “TECHNIQUE”