Controlled pearling

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Controlled pearling

Postby NorthSIKer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:51 am

I'm impressed by the way the gorgeous wooden boat towards the start of the below video seems to be at ease pealing on the runners. The smallish, steep and short period waves in the video appear rather similar to the what we get up here. Though I'm assuming it is an outer bank or bombora they are paddling on by the way the waves coalesce in some of the scenes.

I have to say when I pearl like that that I freak out (that I am going to stall/flip) and lean right back or/and peel off the wave as fast as possible. It happens fairly often because the usual 'swell' here is very short period and stands up a bit as it hits the extensive inshore shallow zones, so to ride a wave means the bow of the kayak is often sitting in the back of the next wave forward. I have never actually come to grief (always pull out ok - probably because I am conservative in pulling out of the situation early) but I find the feeling of the boat slowing and the stern lifting disconcerting.

However pulling off waves fairly regularly (when the conditions mean lots of pearling) slows down the average paddling speed quite a bit. In those sorts of waves I am more like the guy at 1:21 to 1:48 of the video - catching a bit but also being conservative about the waves to get onto and pulling out early when the boat spears into the wave in front. If the waves lengthen out I do go for it however :D

Is pearling like that in runners (not beach waves) something anyone does here regularly? What are the techniques to managing the boat in the pearl? Is it only something people do playboating (i.e. when they are happy to be going over regularly) or can the technique be reliable enough to undertake on a long (A to B) crossing?

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Re: Controlled pearling

Postby gbc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:53 am

Any given afternoon with a breeze and wind against tide on the Brisbane River is a similar paddle, only you keep your mouth closed to not drink too much stinky water. Each boat is different, but even though a sea kayak is longer and purls more, they don't carry a lot of buoyancy at their extremes so the middle of the boat doesn't tend to lift. My shorter but wider py kingfisher can start to float fore and aft on each wave which gets real tippy real fast. Sailing downwind in those conditions drives the bow down a bit more also. Definitely not my most favoured sea state to play in, even in a boat it can be tricky, another couple of feet and it can be treacherous. It all depends on the wave interval.

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Controlled pearling

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks gbc.

So it is fair that I get scared when my Mirage pearls like that or just that my boat is not designed to perform in those conditions? Not to confuse things, I can paddle in those conditions (have to unless I stay on land over 15kts) but can't play in them very well.

Those short period conditions are standard up here - waves usually 3-6 seconds apart. I like to tease that southern paddlers can carry on about those 5 metre swells, but they'd go over more easily in our 1 metre stuff :) .

I have heard before that Moreton Bay gets a similar sharp-toothed wind wave.

Return to “TECHNIQUE”