Moreton Island

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
sandym
KAYAK: Prijon Marlin

Moreton Island

Postby sandym » Tue May 16, 2017 7:53 pm

A few years back we paddled Redland Bay to Stradbroke to Moreton and took the ferry back from Tangalooma. This year, we'd like to so something slightly different maybe Redland Bay to Peel Island to Mud Island then onto Moreton and up the west side crossing back to the mainland from somewhere. Questions for those who've paddled in the area are: Is it possible to camp on Mud Island? Where is a good spot to cross back to the mainland? My nautical charts have 4 knot currents up near Bribie and 1.5 to 2 knots elsewhere. Also, there is all that boat traffic to consider. Thanks all.

Maccas
KAYAK: Tiderace Pace17, Valley Aquanaut, Tahe Marine Bay Spirit & Sea Bear Packhorse Double

Re: Moreton Island

Postby Maccas » Wed May 17, 2017 11:52 am

Mud island would be stealth camping and not very pleasant with mozzies and sandflies. We live on Bribie Island and when we paddle to Moreton we leave from Woorim on Bribie Island go across to either Cowan Cowan (approx 14k) or any point north of there. Cowan Cowan is the shortest crossing and you can stay out of the main shipping channels longer.

Coming from Tangalooma or Shark Spit is an option back to Bribie on an outgoing tide and you cross the shipping channels early in the crossing.

We always try and cross over to Moreton on the slack tide leading into an incoming tide so as to not get pushed north out of the bay. Very strong currents beside both islands not to bad in the middle. Quite shallow in parts as you cross so wind on tide can create some interesting conditions.

If you want any further info let us know.
Team Macca

sandym

Postby sandym » Thu May 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Cheers Macca, my chart shows that crossing Woorim to Cowan Cowan as 17 km and the single shipping channel splits into three near Cowan Cowan but at Bulwer is a single channel. Going to Bribie is tough for us as we will launch down near Redland and then have to faff around with transit to get back o the car.

Mud Island, bad, maybe Green Island? I think I saw a trip report on this site where people camped on Green?

Old Man
KAYAK: Roscoe TK1, Tidemark. Prijon Marlin, Rosco Southern Raider

Postby Old Man » Thu May 18, 2017 5:20 pm

Why not stay at Amity and cross at low tide to Kooringal?

Can stop for a coldy at the Gutter Bar.

sandym

Postby sandym » Sun May 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Why not indeed. I dunno, but we did that last time. I was looking for a different variation. Anyway, we had a trip out to Peel yesterday which was pretty nice. Incredibly calm.

Return to “TECHNIQUE”