Towing

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Towing

Postby Boatsie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:02 pm

I tow my old mate a lot.
We aren't fancy using a simple bowline around my waist to try and centre tow end on tug boats pivot point to enable steerage of tug boat.
Other end attached to bow where my mate loses steerage yet we seem to get the job done quickly and efficiently.
This works well against current in flat surfaces.
We go to his bow not his pivot because when he needs tow he's pretty knackered and finding steerage problems anyway. I wouldn't like lumpy because of many snaps due to buoyancy and wall water momentum.
I guess it'd be difficult to tow when seas confused, how long is a piece of string?

Rhysie
KAYAK: P&H Cetus, North Shore Atlantic RM, Valley Sirona RM

Re: Towing

Postby Rhysie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:37 pm

You are truly asking for trouble tying a rope around yourself.
For example if you were towing a friend and the tide pulled your friend onto the other side of say a channel marker you would have no way to release yourself from the rope. This could become a nightmare situation.
Always have some sort of quick release incorporated into whatever towing system you use. I have used a variety of quick releases, but the best methods I have found are a quick release belt if using a waist mounted tow, a snap shackle or a kite surfing quick releasing shock cord if using a kayak mounted system.
The New South Wales Sea Kayak Club website has a basic skills section that may be worth checking out. There is a small section with a short video on towing.

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:24 pm

Yep, so so many dangers with this system. Better off just telling your mate to swim :)

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:56 pm

I like the shock cord with quick release idea. Thank you.
Noting the only knot I'll tie around myself is a bowline loop, the kind you throw to a man overboard. It will never tighten hence his solarplex won't get crushed. I loop generous amounts per tug boating purpose in case of get out. We haven't snags to bother us neither.
Will be checking out that video when data resets though. Many thanks

Lol, he tried swimming when he tucked his skirt tab in. That was bad news. Told him he lucky bloke cos his legs r short and to kick the hull is an easier squat with his stature. I had watched him near drown.

Boatsie

Postby Boatsie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:34 am

Thanks again, nsw sea kayak club has an awesome website. I'll be reading that a while now. Makes sense.

Return to “TECHNIQUE”