why are YOU a low or high angle paddler?

Paddling , Rolling , Rescues , Surfing
Collo
KAYAK: XploreX, Taran, S18, Gemini SP

Re: why are YOU a low or high angle paddler?

Postby Collo » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:17 pm

I don't think there are any absolutes in any of this. Mick's comments are good, posture, boat fit & technique are the key. Provided the length of a wing or euro paddle is correct for you in a particular kayak, in my experience I have found that you can then select different blade sizes to effectively 'gear' your stroke for different sea conditions. This does require that you possess at least two different paddles, but I would consider it appropriate to carry a spare in any case. I can't really comment on Greenland paddles, as I have yet to develop any real understanding of the correct body mechanics to be applied to effectively use this type of paddle. Happy paddling all, have fun out there!

patriotscout
KAYAK: Epic V8, Kestrel 14 SOT, Wenonah Argosy Canoe, CLC Tred Avon 21', Perception Pirouette WW

Postby patriotscout » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:23 am

I'm 6'1" with long arms. Racing a V8 my wing paddle shaft is 213 1/2. Practicing, I raise the seat up an inch plus. I noticed this week that the paddle stroke seemed too vertical in the higher position; wasn't following the wake and was losing bite. Today I experimented with 214 1/2 and 215; the later felt better. Does this make sense? How do you know when the paddle length is too short?

Thanks in Advance,
Mark

paddlingfool
KAYAK: mirage 583, Epic v10 Sport, Rosco Double

Postby paddlingfool » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:00 pm

Of course the experts are all wrong :)

Return to “TECHNIQUE”