Rowing for fitness

General posting
splishsplash
KAYAK: 15ft prowler

Rowing for fitness

Postby splishsplash » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:39 am

Anyone know anything about small sliding seat rowing boats? I'm looking for a new sport, something with alround fitness but on the water and folks keep pointing me to rowing. As there are no rowing clubs around here it would require me getting a boat.

I'm a life long kayaker and canoeist but not rowed a sliding seat boat. Is it difficult, where do I start?

Boats seem to be expensive, the least expensive I've found is a boat called an Edon which is polypropylene. I like the idea of the robustness of this as I'll be facing the wrong way when rowing. Also it comes with stabilizers to keep me in the boat. this is $2400 from a company called Virginia Rowing then of course I'll also need oars.

On the face of it how hard can it be.

Thoughts please, sorry it's a little off topic.

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Re: Rowing for fitness

Postby gbc » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:33 am

You'd be amazed at how hard it can be. Generally the lower the skull the more precise your technique has to be. I never rowed much flat water but rowed surf boats for a number of years. Technique beats raw power every time. If you have plenty of time and a friend to fish you out of the water a few times you'll work out a basic stroke quick enough, but take it for granted at your peril - Google up 'catching a crab in a rowboat'. Rowing is a bit like golf or archery or indeed paddling in that there are about 12 precise steps to take for a single shot/stroke, and we as humans usually bank on getting about 9 odd right each time, but usually never the same 9. The rest of our lives can then be spent in relentless pursuit of the other 3.

Redback
KAYAK: Nelo K1; Hayden PR2 Spec; Stellar SES; Touring Double Ski (Project)

Postby Redback » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:26 pm

Do not listen to those from the dark side!

Paddling with good technique is every bit as good for all around fitness as rowing.

Plus, you get to see where you're going, rather than assume everyone else will get out of your way... :-)

splishsplash

Postby splishsplash » Tue May 09, 2017 6:25 am

Thought I would update all on my new favorite thing. I bought an Edon rowing shell. It is polyethylene but light and 17 feet long. It's very robust, not expensive (as rowing shells go) comes with stabiliser pontoons so you can't flip it during the learning phase and I am having a blast with it here.

I would recommend rowing to anyone, you get quite the work out but it's low impact and just such a good thing for the body and mind.

I bought mine from virginia rowing in norfolk Va and they shipped it to me.

I will still kayak, I've not totally sold out but for all round fitness this has to be the way to go.

splishsplash

Postby splishsplash » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:11 am

So I've been rowing 18 months now and I'm so happy with the boat and my general level of fitness. I had trouble with by butt getting sore on the seat but was given a seat pad for my birthday and all is well. I feel a lot fitter and have lost about 8 lbs in the last year.
The Edon boat I bought ( http://www.virginiarowing.com sells them) is just great. It's light and is pretty easy to use once you get the stroke down pat, it's also made of polyethylene and so when I dropped it off the rack a few months ago I didn't break it :-)
I've kayaked for years and have recently been borrowing a friends fishing outfit (with little success) and will continue to kayak but I do really love my new sport.
Anyone else tried sculling boats?

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Postby Boatsie » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:26 am

I was a competitive scull. Perve on the women was the most I remember as advice from my coach. Woman weren't pulling the skin off due to their less might filled muscle, they were talented with balance, smooth transactions and really nice scull racks.
As purr basics, ,, legs, torso, arms in that order. Reverse and slow to recock catch.

A wrong example. If I was to catch (water grab with blades) and then straighten my back before I pushed my legs, my back would be bowing due to excess force and my legs would be reduced from 60%(overall stroke input) to 30% plus slight bit of nothing.
ALWAYS push with legs then straighten back then finish with arms.
Push away with arms then lean forward then bend your knees, while maintaining glide.
AND PERVE ON THE WOMAN. They have best techniques. Ma star luv pasta. :lol:

Redback
KAYAK: Nelo K1; Hayden PR2 Spec; Stellar SES; Touring Double Ski (Project)

Postby Redback » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:30 pm

That Edon actually looks pretty cool.

I've never really been able to fathom the wanting to go backward thing though.

Still, - to each his own.

Let us know when it can negotiate a surf break and do a down-wind... :-)

Return to “CHIT-CHAT”