Hello from North Queensland

General posting
NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Hello from North Queensland

Postby NorthSIKer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Hello to the forum!

Long term lurker here. Been paddling close to 10 years up here in NQ. I paddle a Mirage 580 which probably destroys a bit of credibility straight up :shock: but hey, they are an easy, comfortable and sea worthy boat. Not too far from being upgraded to a 582 with a bunch of bells and whistles and some indefensible unnecessary bling as well :D

Paddling territory is Whitsundays to Port Douglas, with a focus on the Palm Islands, and I have made plenty of camping trips by kayak out into the islands along this coastline. I am unusual on this forum I suspect in that my sea kayaking skills are average but I combine them with very average fishing skills to be a moderate fishing kayaker :lol: . I have had a profile in the KFDU forum for some time and have learnt a fair bit about fishing setups on small boats through there (though I don't think anyone on that forum fishes from a true sea kayak as I do).

Hope to contribute over time here and keep learning from the posts as have picked up a bit looking through these threads over the years already.

As an introduction, below is a video focused on the fishing side of what I get up to in the kayak - I think this will be quite different to what most of you have seen from a sea kayak before.

Texen
KAYAK: Mirage 580

Re: Hello from North Queensland

Postby Texen » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:51 am

I hope to get up your way one day. More CQ than NQ but 1770 was great. No fishing just paddling and waves that seem to run forever into Bustard Bay. Credibility? Who cares? My new 2nd hand 580 is fantastic. I am a long way from outgrowing it and can't imagine anything better at the moment.

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Re: Hello from North Queensland

Postby NorthSIKer » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:31 pm

Texen wrote: Credibility? Who cares? My new 2nd hand 580 is fantastic. I am a long way from outgrowing it and can't imagine anything better at the moment.

Thanks Texen - tend to agree. I made those comments tongue-in-cheek. There are so many considerations for the 'best' boat choice for any individual, and for plenty - fair enough - that validly isn't a Mirage. But at the same time, I do feel too many look down on the Mirages because they are so popular and have been around for quite a while. The cool kids want something a bit more exclusive to pump up the credibility :roll: .

There is no doubt though that the Mirages are a great performer at a good price. They have proven themselves in enough conditions at sea to demonstrate they are more than capable for a large proportion of serious paddlers.

Return to “CHIT-CHAT”