Week Long Paddle - Considerations

General posting
NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Week Long Paddle - Considerations

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:11 pm

I am interested in tips and considerations for a week long paddle I will be doing later this year.

As background I have undertaken plenty of overnight kayak trips and a few 2 nighters (but not longer). I have also undertaken many week-long walks (and up to 10 days) so I am comfortable with planning food, water and camping gear (with so much room in the kayak that will be relatively easily).

What about kayaking specific issues over that time frame? I am concerned about potential accumulated chafe and rashes from that many days with dried salt on the skin and PFD rubbing around the shoulders. What other issues to manage / tips to make things easier are there from those whom have undertaken longer trips?

Paddle Dog 52
KAYAK: Current Designs / Solstice GT, Nomad, Extreme HV, Libra XT tandem.

Re: Week Long Paddle - Considerations

Postby Paddle Dog 52 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 am

Wear rash guards not bare skinned with a PFD

NorthSIKer

Postby NorthSIKer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:41 pm

Paddle Dog 52 wrote:Wear rash guards not bare skinned with a PFD

Yeah - on top of that one of that already.

Indeed up here i've found if you are not covered you get burnt - sunsceen doesn't cut it. Also, you want to be covered up for stingers in case you go in in summer.

I have had some mild chaffing in the past when lots of dried salt builds up in the rashie however. Nothing big over a couple of days but I am worried over a week...?

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Postby gbc » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:14 pm

A soft pack of baby wipes for 'showering' each night works better than you think if you have no spare fresh water.
I use cyclist's chamois cream under my arms on longer paddles. It is specifically designed for areas which chafe.
If you can come at a sail they take the last few kW off your stroke when touring and allow permanently sore shoulders like mine to keep punching on.
I'll try very hard to sell you on a hammock for NQ touring as well. NOt everybody's cup of tea, but they certainly are mine - I'm a convert.

NorthSIKer

Postby NorthSIKer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Baby wipes sound like a good idea to get that salt off. I am sure we would still have some lying around.

I can see the appeal of sailing but not something I will likely try in the kayak. The distances on this trip aren't too great - the longest day is just over 40km.

Hammock? I'm in full agreement with you for the tropics on that one. It is the only way I can survive camping up here outside of winter. Pic below is from Havannah Island a number of years ago - yeah it is tough up here sometimes ;)

P8040002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rhysie
KAYAK: P&H Cetus, North Shore Atlantic RM, Valley Sirona RM

Postby Rhysie » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:09 pm

I swear by Bodyglide to stop chaffing. Comes in a windup stick like a deodorant stick. You can buy it from Rebel Sport or eBay. Another good one is Gurney Goo but it does have a strong tea tree smell.

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Postby gbc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:40 am

Nice spot for a hammock. Do you need me to go into the intricacies of freezing cask mojitos and taping frozen steak to it? Makes nights #2/3 bearable. I'm not a fan of dried gunk, or staying too sober on a week's holiday.

NorthSIKer

Postby NorthSIKer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:25 pm

gbc wrote:Do you need me to go into the intricacies of freezing cask mojitos and taping frozen steak to it?

I think you need to make a youtube tutorial on that one :lol:

Bogdan
KAYAK: Dagger Zydeco

Postby Bogdan » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:58 pm

NorthSIKer wrote:Baby wipes sound like a good idea to get that salt off. I am sure we would still have some lying around.

I can see the appeal of sailing but not something I will likely try in the kayak. The distances on this trip aren't too great - the longest day is just over 40km.

Hammock? I'm in full agreement with you for the tropics on that one. It is the only way I can survive camping up here outside of winter. Pic below is from Havannah Island a number of years ago - yeah it is tough up here sometimes ;)

P8040002.JPG

Ah that's beautiful.

Return to “CHIT-CHAT”