Complete newbie

General posting
Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Re: Complete newbie

Postby Mac50L » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:33 am

Boatsie wrote:Not knowing I always believed that our fore fathers named the Pacific because they had a best sense of humour seeing it's our largest ocean.

Pacific Ocean derives from Mar Pacifico, the name given in Portuguese, Italian, and Spanish.

The ocean's current name was coined by the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan during the Spanish circumnavigation of the world 1480 - 1521, as he encountered favourable winds on reaching the ocean from the Straits of Magellan. He called it Mar Pacífico, which in both Portuguese and Spanish means "peaceful sea". Note Spanish circumnavigation, not Magellan who didn't get round and was killed 27 April 1521, Mactan, Philippines.

After navigating for 3 months through what are now known as the Straits of Magellan, his small fleet entered the ocean in Nov. 1520. He called this body of water pacific, due to the calmness of the water at the time.

He was there on a good day as this can be some of the roughest areas in the world.

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Postby Boatsie » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:24 pm

20170702_112840.jpg

That to me is a fast short 'yak suited to beginners through to experts. Easy to balance, tracks well and can destroy clean face.
Bow has slightly higher volume.
Point to plane transition is marvellously near not there.
Plane retains a mild keel of about 15%.
Rear plane to point is more distinctive allowing displaced water to aid forward propulsion as well as a steerage advantage when needing to use yourself as a sheer lever.
Chines, well we all love chines.
She ain't a heavy load carrier yet we all ain't in need of an aircraft carrier.
Anyway, epoxy off another week, lost count at 8 holes and no way splicing that, I wouldn't know how to splice machine braid.

I admire you Kiwis, read a lot of hammer time on Lee Ward shores and them '50 foot cloth propelled mobile homes are a lot bigger than a little old 'yak.
I think sea kayaks are great to enjoy confused rhythm with and couldn't stop perving on at the Mac50 on web site. She gorgeous. I hope you stay warm.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Boatsie
KAYAK: Nadgee Wanderer, 70s glass 15 ft, 2 Winner Otiums

Postby Boatsie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:29 pm

http://5-staryakpak.org/kayaking-101/choosing-a-kayak/

Web page well written. Regarding beginner boat I totally agree.
Best luck bro

Mac50L
KAYAK: Mac50L

Postby Mac50L » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:46 pm

Buying a cheap(ish) second hand will get you on the water as Boatsie's linked article says. However, are you going kayaking or sit-on-top or what?

"TOURING OR SEA KAYAK - The trade-off can be more weight and lower speed than a corresponding day-touring model of the same size and material."

Not sure where that comes from. An around Alaska kayak at ~14 kg, my kayaks, day and multiday at 18 kg. And they are fast.

mike holding
KAYAK: Malibu

Postby mike holding » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:21 pm

I used Firefly inflatable initially. I had a good experience with it. But it depends what your weight is. There are many factors to keep in mind when your buying a kayak that too for the first time. Also it depends on what kind of water you're planning to kayak. inflatable are easy to set-up ! You can find some reviews for the beginner kayaks at http://www.xgearhub.com/best-kayak-reviews/ as well. Hope you make a right choice.

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:45 am

I used to love watching Michael Holding bowling fast, 'whispering death'. Not so sure I'm enjoying him spamming the hell out of this esteemed forum though. Dude, get back to the 155kmh outswingers!

Camanche73
KAYAK: point 65 XP18, guillemot, BTD Frej, North Sea tourer

Postby Camanche73 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:55 am

I had a quick look at the link mike keeps throwing up. Appears he gets advertising royalties each time somebody visits it through Amazon.

Return to “CHIT-CHAT”