Launching from Urangan

General posting
toquehead
KAYAK: Prijon Marlin HTP

Launching from Urangan

Postby toquehead » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:09 am

We're looking to do a wee paddle up the west coast of Fraser, and are thinking launching from Urangan is our best bet.

Any suggestions on exactly where to launch from? It looks awfully busy and paved.

Where do folks in the know suggest we park for a week?

tia.

ConYak
KAYAK: Impex Force 5, Q Kayaks Penguin, Hobie Revolution 13

Re: Launching from Urangan

Postby ConYak » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:59 am

Hi Tia
Urangan Boat Harbour is the best and easiest place to go from. We usually set up on the grass beside the boat rigging area between the two ramps. Then the cars go just to the north of that. The Google Earth image shows about 25 single car parks there. Never had a problem with the vehicles in about 8 or so trips. Chatted to the police as we were leaving on one trip and they said they do regular patrols through there.
Good judgement comes from experience~and experience well that comes from poor judgement

Freeride
KAYAK: Mirage 583 Freeride

Postby Freeride » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:11 pm

If you would like to contact me I may be able to store your vehicle at my place at the other end of the bay.I have done so for others from another forum and as long as I am able to fit in with your schedule see no reason why I can't help. I usually launch from Dayman park next to the Aquarium for my paddling forays around the bay. The wind has been a real pain up here since Cyclone Debbie with 25-30 kt southerlies being the norm. I recently took a month off to paddle up to Wathumba but was defeated by the continual winds. Southeast to northeast winds are ideal as the Island gives a fair amount of protection but southerlies blast straight up the inside of the Island , good for the northbound leg but tough for the return.
Cheers , Richo.

toquehead
KAYAK: Prijon Marlin HTP

Postby toquehead » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Many thanks for the beta. Unfortunately, ours was a short notice trip, and we left before your notes.

We put in at the public boat ramps at Urangan. It was the middle of the day (Saturday June 3), middle of an ebb tide, and a sunny Saturday - the boat ramp was deserted, and the parking lot near empty. At mid-tide there is a little gravel beach beside the northerly of the two quad boat ramps that we used. It was blowing 15-20 knots, so maybe that was keeping the boaties away, as it was much busier on the following Friday when we returned (light winds, high tide). Despite it being mid-tide (range ~ 2.5 m), we didn't have much current effects on the way to Big Woodie, or the next day crossing to Moon Point.

We spent the first night on the west side of Big Woodie, at the big grassy area near the north end (need highish tide to get in). The next day we sailed with a 15-20 knot SE wind to Awinya. The day after was another cruisy sailing day to Wathumba. We wanted to get away from the infernal four wheel drives so kept going north of Wathumba, but there were still 4x4s driving on the beach (which we thought was a no-drive zone) and we weren't finding good camping, so plugged back into the wind to a camp at Wathumba. Note that there is a new "no camping" sign north of the Wathumba spit; it has arrows pointing both north and south right beside a big sign saying Teebung camping pointing south. I was chatting to a yachty at Wathumba and he admitted to being the one to paint the arrow pointing south, so parks is only saying no camping north of that sign. It was blowing hard out of the south, but we found a nice sheltered site on the lagoon side of the spit just north of the no camping sign.

After a day exploring Wathumba lagoon, we faced 3 days of forecast 15-20 knot SW winds for our return trip. Oh joy. We made most of our progress when the sun was down - early morning and after dark. Paddling under a bright moon is good fun, but it was bloody cold with the SW blowing this past week!

Return to “CHIT-CHAT”