Big southerly swell

General posting
Rhysie
KAYAK: P&H Cetus, North Shore Atlantic RM, Valley Sirona RM

Big southerly swell

Postby Rhysie » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Anyone get out in the surf this weekend?
I stayed up at Crowdy Head on the weekend and while Crowdy Beach had next to no waves due to it being a North facing beach protected by Crowdy Head it was a different story off the North West point. On Saturday the huge southerly swell was wrapping around the headland and a large beautifully spilling wave was breaking near the old fishing Co-op. I decided it was too good an opportunity to pass up. I paddled out from the Fishing Co-Op harbour and straight to deep water to watch the swell from a safe distance. After watching for about 10 minutes I plucked up the courage to catch a few. I started off by catching a couple on the edge of the deep water before moving into the break to catch a proper wave. I managed to catch 2 absolute crackers with long 300m+ rides before broaching and getting a real hiding from the 3rd wave. I managed to roll up but saw to my horror 2 huge set waves breaking in front of me. My first thought was to capsize and let them roll over me but fear made me take another option. I turned and faced away and tried to catch the broken wave. It instantly broached me and for a moment I thought I was going to be able to hold a high brace but after bouncing a couple of times the inevitable happened and I capsized and luckily the wave passed over me. I rolled back up and was happy to see the the 2nd wave was starting to reform. I managed catch this and ride it about 50m before it dissipated in deep water. I ended up not far from the Fish Co-Op harbour mouth so I paddled straight in only to be told by one of the fishos fishing off the break wall that I was a fucking idiot. Had to agree with him. Decided to pack up and go for a gentle paddle on the Manning River back at Harrington.
This morning I was severely lacking courage so I decided to paddle on the Manning again and with the tide coming in I decided it would be safe to cross the bar and catch a few of the smaller waves. To my amazement there was a small stationary wave due to the incoming tide flowing over a sandbar. I played on this for about quarter of an hour until it disapeared. I decided to paddle under the break wall bridge and back to the boat ramp on landside fork of the river. I realised too late the the tide was too high and that I couldn't fit under the bridge without taking my head off. I couldn't back up as the tide was too strong so I rolled over passed under the bridge safely upside down and rolled back on the other side. I paddled back to the boat ramp. A great weekend and I can't wait to go back up there.

kkayak
KAYAK: Own design plywood, Nordkapps LV, Valley Gemini ST

Re: Big southerly swell

Postby kkayak » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:53 pm

Watched the big sets breaking on Hastings River bar...definitely a day for relaxing with a coffee at Town Beach café!

NorthSIKer
KAYAK: Mirage 582, Kaskazi Skua

Postby NorthSIKer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:42 pm

Sounds like lot of fun.

I wish we got those big runners up here. Best chance of a decent run up here is only when big swell wraps around a point into calmer water - pretty rare. Otherwise it is pointy slop, and lucky to get a kayak length between crests. Get plenty of short runs that are generally over when ploughing into wave in front.

But then you guys down there probably wish you had our warm waters and tropical islands :)

Megan
KAYAK: Impex Montauk, Mirage 530

Postby Megan » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Bundeena bar looked really good even on an incoming tide. I was with a group not quite up to it and nursing a shoulder injury (not from paddling) so just skirted the edge.

Return to “CHIT-CHAT”