Welcome to the Forum

General posting
Barry W.
KAYAK: Tahe Marine Wind 535

Re: Welcome to the Forum

Postby Barry W. » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:38 am

Hey folks, new to the forum.

I'm an intermediate paddler in the Puget Sound that can see the water from my house, my work (a boat supply/kayak store) and if I feel like it I can (and do) paddle to work. :D

I'm glad to be on here.

Barry

rbirtles
KAYAK: Tiderace Pace 17

Postby rbirtles » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Hi there everyone,

I am new to the forum albeit have been reading it for the last few months while having problems registering.

I am based here in Canberra and started kayaking late November 2013. I bought a new Riot Edge 14.5 with a generic paddle which is not too bad a kayak (but a hefty 28kg in weight including my overweight of 90kgs) and I much prefer the longer distance type with my best so far being 21km in just under 3 hours. Not brilliant but it is a start but at least we have a few lakes here in Canberra to do time on.

My observations are that sometime this year I will need to upgrade to a lighter, faster kayak as I enjoy distance work and competing against my personal times. Until then I'll just continue to do time on the water, practice my technique and maybe get a better paddle once I learn more about myself and needs/capabilities.

Does anyone use Endomondo to record times/distances/routes etc?

Cheers Rob.

Dave70
KAYAK: Southern Skua by Q kayaks kevlar/glass 17.5 feet

Postby Dave70 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi all. New to the forum. I began kayaking 2 years ago when we bought a simple 2 seat perception kayak second hand that me and the kids paddle in and I use on my own as well, need to slid the seat forward to do this and it's bit of pain in the rear but I have managed till now.

I'm in the market for second kayak and my budget is 1000 pasos so I will get a decent plastic sit in kayak for that and starting my research now, ebay, gumtree and trading post are getting frequent looks form me. I love paddling purely for relaxing and exercise, no intentions of going hard core in any events, but would like to dabble in some white water (not too challenging though) at some point.

I live in Albany wa, and we have just purchased a camper trailer so I will be camping and kayaking a lot. We have a few rivers here and some in Denmark, Walpole and Bremer bay too.

My job is full time and I work with people as a counsellor and it has it's moments so I use kayaking as my form of yoga on water if you like. Paddling mixed with mindfulness.

Will look to buy a plastic kayak around 4-4.5 meters. Seen quite a few about and then hit the water for some fun.

Look forward to visiting the forum. I won't post a kazillion times as I have limited time and to be honest online time eats I what I call real time ......that's better used for real activities.

Benlore
KAYAK: Mirage 530

Postby Benlore » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Hi guys,

New to kayaking and have been out a few times with the Patterson Lakes Canoe Club, in Melbourne Australia. They have been great. Lent me a kayak, taught me some tricks, like not capsizing and moving forward -> ... :-0 I have just graduated from an 'air' kayak, i.e. no kayak, to a second hand L'attitude Motion 12. Planning to do day paddles in Port Phillip bay and have my sights on some longer bigger sea trips later. The Motion 12 allows you to adjust the seat forward and backward by about 20cm. I have no idea how to position this? Any help would be great. Also it has a rubber lid for the back storage area. Is there anything I can use to clean it and rejuvenate the rubber?

Happy, safe paddling,
Cheers,
Ben

scratches
KAYAK: Valley Nordkapp, North Shore Atlantic, Valley Avocet RM

Postby scratches » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:48 am

Try good old Armor All for your rubber hatch covers

Katty
KAYAK: None yet. :(

Postby Katty » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:40 am

Hi All
I'm a newy here so be kind...lol. I'm even newer to kayaking - actually haven't even got one yet but soon will. I live on the North Gold Coast near the water and can't wait to start getting out there. Any advise on buying a kayak?
Katty

rbirtles
KAYAK: Tiderace Pace 17

Postby rbirtles » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi there Katty,

I went through the same process like you last year. A lot of advice I have seen (and wished I knew beforehand) would be to try to buy a secondhand kayak first because they have a better resale value than buying a new. Depending upon what you buy you may find yourself outgrowing your first canoe quite fast and will be needing to upgrade. You may also find a particular new form of kayaking (ie white water vs sea kayaking as an extreme example) after a bit of time and thus need a new kayak.

Maybe even try to borrow a kayak first for a while, get some skills, experience and time on water to know what you like and need before paying good money for a kayak that you can grow into. I paid $1200 for a new kayak to start off with and within 6 months ended up upgrading to a much better more expensive kayak. That $1200 would have been much more useful when upgrading... The old kayak may still have its uses but I doubt I will personally use it much in the future.

Find some people/group/club as well so you can learn even more from, as well as the social benefits.

Cheers!

Katty
KAYAK: None yet. :(

Postby Katty » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks, rbirtles. No doubt some sensible advise. I borrowed one a while ago which was a sit on top and loved it although would love to go faster (it was just a cheapy from BCF). I was looking at a Hurricane kayak (mainly cause I like the colour) ha ha....so I'll see how I go at avoiding the temptation to buy a new one.

Lapse
KAYAK: Greenland T, Stealth Evolution 465

Postby Lapse » Thu May 15, 2014 7:31 am

Hi folks,
I am Alex (also from Gold Coast). I have been into kayak fishing for about 5-6 years now, but have recently made a change to my fleet substituting a Hobie for a Greenland T. Looking forward to working on the technical side of kayaking and some more minimalist touring. Due to exams I haven't had a chance to get the kayak on the water yet, but hoping to get out after next week.
Cheers

MickB
KAYAK: Hobie SOT

Postby MickB » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:53 pm

Hi newbie in Cairns area NthQLD getting into sea kayaking!

JetA-1
KAYAK: Necky Amaruk

Postby JetA-1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Greetings everyone. A total newbie to kayaking here. I have paddled canoes and rowboats but never a kayak of any kind. I work on a ship and spend 1/2 my life on the water. I recently acquired a tandem kayak (details in another post) and look forward to getting into the sport/hobby/pastime. I have considered getting a kayak for years and know several people who love sea kayaking. I even went so far as to buy a few plan books and do up a set of drawing based on the offsets in one of the books. I have the skill and ability to build a strip kayak but never managed to find the time. Cheers.

Horse
KAYAK: mirage 582

Postby Horse » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:34 pm

HI, Im a newb. probably a wealth of questions to ask but I'll pace myself and read a bit first. No doubt you old hands are sick of the "Which kayak should I get?" questions.

this looks like a great resource; thanks for existing.

CheerZ

Horsey.

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Postby gbc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:04 pm

I'd better fess up. I've been lurking for a while. I've paddled all my life on and off but never had a sea Kayak. I also have my trusty rosco 15 ft Canadian, and my fishing ski is a South African style boat that I have also done my touring on to date. It is a paddleyak kingfisher. These days I am finding I am not fishing anywhere near as much as I paddle so a valley aquanaut has found its way into the garage. I am booked for the next Redcliffe learners day and have joined qskc so I look forward to catching up with other members. I am also a keen road and mountain cyclist.

Simonl
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak (Mango)

Postby Simonl » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:59 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post. Just recently bought my first Kayak (finally) after catching the bug some time back when we did the Murray Marathon with some guys from work in a couple of hire Trinidads. Had a wave ski for many years but mainly used it as a sit on kayak rather than to catch waves.

So, went for my first paddle in the Kodiak yesterday and found myself swimming more than kayaking! Sure it was rather rough with white caps and metre swell but figured the Kodiak was very stable. :D Went out again today in even heavier swell (stayed close to shore) and it appears I'm getting better. Only fell out once or twice by accident, the other times were purposely done to attempt a roll. After about 6 attempts I'm yet to get there but the last time was promising. I think I lifted my head out of the water too early. I'm keen to master the roll while the water temps are still nice!

Anyway, I'm happy with the Kodiak and expect I will go into it nicely. Since I live on Westernport, I plan on getting further experience up my sleeve and then plan on a trip to French island.

Being so early in my kayaking experience, I'm keen not to make any major (permanent) mods until I gain some serious paddling time but I can already see the benefits of an electric bilge pump. I just can't bring myself to the idea of drilling a hole in a perfectly good hull. I figure if I wait long enough, my skills will eventually make the need for such a device unnecessary? Well hoping anyway. :D

Cheers

Simon

Dave70
KAYAK: Southern Skua by Q kayaks kevlar/glass 17.5 feet

Postby Dave70 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Welcome

You tube has penty of great roll videos

It's fun learning

Simonl
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak (Mango)

Postby Simonl » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:05 am

Dave70 wrote:Welcome

You tube has penty of great roll videos

It's fun learning

Hi Dave,

Thanks. I have watched quite a number of them so I know the basic steps but it's just a matter of practicing. I did a search on the forum regarding stability and found it comforting to see that other people find the Kodiak quite tippy despite the manufacturer saying they are "very stable" Seems I'm not entirely unco! :D

Cheers,

Simon

debra123
KAYAK: Leopards kayak 2013

Postby debra123 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:22 pm

Hello; I'm Debra Galinsky from Port Washington, NY living in Newzealand nowadays and decided to join to potentiate my kayak fishing hobby.
Have owned a yak for about 8 years with occassional trips to Port Waikato, Whirinaki, Port Jackson, Aotea, and Kaiaua.
Be great to meet others with similar interests and free time with longer days back soon.

gbc
KAYAK: paddleyak kingfisher, emotion exhilarator, valley aquanaut, rosco canadian 15 , rosco tk1

Postby gbc » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:42 am

Hi debra,

I love NZ. Have paddled Milford and Pohatu (Akaroa). 'theyakshed' is a place more aligned with offshore kayak fishing enthusiasts of which I am one.

RusselJ
KAYAK: Aqua Holic

Postby RusselJ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:51 pm

Thanks for this lovely forum Tim & Max, i am a latest member here and also want to be a Armchair Paddler, i am also working on it....its good that you are a early morning dude...

KenPatrick
KAYAK: Pyranha Fusion

Postby KenPatrick » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:19 pm

Happy to find out this wonderful forum....

Return to “CHIT-CHAT”