Geotagged Photos on a Map

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
feraltek
KAYAK: Dagger Alchemy

Geotagged Photos on a Map

Postby feraltek » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:41 pm

I have GPX track files and geotagged photos. Does anyone know an online platform where I can upload a number of these photo as a batch, and have them open via clicking on a waypoint along the uploaded gpx track. Waypoint markers can be either icons or tiny versions of the photos. The "much improved functions" of Google maps needs work done on individual markers after uploading the photos, which sort of ruins the point of allowing batch imports.

For working with them on a PC I've found Geosetter and JOSM.
http://www.geosetter.de/en/
https://josm.openstreetmap.de/

Pascal
KAYAK: Northwest Pursuit LP

Re: Geotagged Photos on a Map

Postby Pascal » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:03 pm

I think you can batch import several geotagged pics to create a KML file using some script like here https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2015/11/importing-geotagged-photos-into-google-earth.html. I have not tried it myself. When I used GE to upload my track and pics years ago, I had to do it manually for each pic, took a long time.

feraltek

Postby feraltek » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. Google Earth works but it isn't an online browser based platform. It's a bit of a struggle but I've found one way so far that uses image folders that Google has managed to hide in the depths of their "user friendly facilities". Sample of part of the Lachlan River from a trip in February checking out TSRs and other access points. https://drive.google.com/open?id=14WSJY ... sp=sharing

Other methods seem to need coding experience with PHP & Javascript. That's ok for the times I want an intellectual challange, but I'm surprised there's not a simple turnkey method available.

Pascal

Postby Pascal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:58 am

Yep, I always think of Google Earth as being online. It does require to log in on the GE server, but it does run local.
Your example works well and displays fast enough. Would be nice to have mouse-over behavior for thumbnail to pic display though, rather than this tiny pic opening in a left bar. Maybe that's user adjustable.

Pascal

Postby Pascal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:38 am

I tried to retrieve what I did 3 years ago. I actually used Google MyMaps, not Google Earth, my mistake. I did have to input each pic individually though. No batch upload. Very tedious. But it did work and I could share the route. Now, only the track shows when I call a map, no pics. They must have been deleted. Not even sure they would link to a local file or to something online.
I agree there should be a way to do it more easily with everybody tracking and geotagging their holiday pics nowadays.

feraltek

Postby feraltek » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:58 am

The link between Google and Picasa has been retired - https://picasa.google.com.au/
I never used it. There's lots of complaints on forums about the new Google photo platform

On my map you can click on the little image icons to open the full photo. To make them respond to mouse hover probably needs to serve the map via your own website with some Javascript.

Pascal

Postby Pascal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:10 am

That maybe what happened, my pics may have been on Picasa. Although I think I was already out of Picasa by that time. I didn't like it at all.

I tried to embed my Google Maps on my own Web site but Google deprecated the Google Map Engine API needed to run that stuff on private site early in 2015, as you probably know. Good that I did not put much hours on that, it would have been all wasted! Whether Picasa, Google, or whatever, it seems that they all end up letting you down, sooner or later, with no alternative to save your work. Now I only used server side scrips I implement myself. I had to give up having Google Map based tracks and pics online on my pages, but that's fine, because I won't run into deprecation issues.

feraltek

Postby feraltek » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:25 pm

I'll come back here if I find or develop something useful. Maybe based on Mapbox.

Pascal

Postby Pascal » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:31 pm

Will be happy to hear from you if you find or develop something in this area.
Cheers!

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”