New Nikon

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
gonetroppo
KAYAK: Raider

Re: New Nikon

Postby gonetroppo » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:50 pm

Another alternate I see is buying a non waterproof camera and getting a waterproof case for it, same as whats used on a gopro, they are certainly pricey, but the cameras themselves are a lot cheaper in comparison to there waterproof counterparts. The one I'm currently looking at is a Nikon P340 and a waterproof case all for about $850, it also has similar ability to the AW1 but $150 cheaper.

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Good thinking, gonetroppo.
Somehow I can't see myself doing too much selective focusing and fancy work while on the water and I believe that I would have a hard time picking the difference between on-water images taken by a decent compact camera in a waterproof case and a full-on DSLR in a case. Of course my standards are not very high, I just seek durability and ease of operation.
As salt water often smudges the front of the lens expensive sharp optics don't really shine there.
On land, well that is a different story...

Some offerings for waterproof cameras cases are very inexpensive; mind you those are not "diving" cases but suitable up to 3 mt. (like kayaking)

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:41 am

The smaller mirrorless cameras are becoming the way to go Gnarly. My eye is on the latest Sony a7r. It uses the same sensor as the top dog of normal (excluding medium format) cameras, the Nikon D800E, and in many instances is being shown to be superior, particularly with the lenses that are made for it by Zeiss. An awesome camera.
Geoff

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:54 pm

For users of the Nikon AW1. the latest version of DxOptics Pro http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo-optics-pro/photo-software now has the ability to export to and from Lightroom which makes it an exceptionally useful piece of software. Best of both worlds :-)
Geoff

JDJTas
KAYAK: GreenlanderPro, Seaward Chinook, thermoplastic.

Postby JDJTas » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:37 pm

Just bought the new Panasonic GH4 mainly for its 4k video performance and its lighter than my Canon DSLR's. Pity it wasnt completely waterproof.
The video and photos on my UltraHD TV are amazing. All you need is a bucket of water, turn on the fan and its as good as being there.

flotsam
KAYAK: P&H Cetus, Nadgee, Hobiie Mirage, Australis bass, Dagger Drifter ii, Sprite, others

Postby flotsam » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:05 am

JB HIFI have the Nikon AW1 on sale for $679 but offer ends today so have to hurry if you want one.

Benlore
KAYAK: Mirage 530

Postby Benlore » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:51 am

I'm looking to buy a decent camera to take on paddles and get some action shots, i.e deck shots. I don't see pulling the AW1 out of your pocket and snapping away would work, due to its size. Right now I am leaning towards the Oly TG-4. You can get one for around $400 and it shoots RAW. Has anyone here tried this camera yet? From what I am reading here the TG-4 and an AW1 would be good for the longer camping trips....

I also have a Hero3 and am looking to get the waterproof remote for it. This I can attach to the ends of my kayak, and do video or a 3 second 30 shot burst... which I haven't tried yet.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:01 am

I have an Olympus TG3 which I purchased while I was waiting for an AW1 that had failed to be replaced (they do that). At a cursory glance the TG3 looks to give nice images but on closer inspection it really only outputs mush. Unless they have made a remarkable step change in sensor quality i imagine the TG4 is the same. And unfortunately RAW mush is still mush.
Geoff

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:02 am

From what I have seen the Panasonic is still the best compact waterproof camera.

Benlore
KAYAK: Mirage 530

Postby Benlore » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:03 pm

Just saw the AW1 go on eBay for $430..... With 2 lenses.....! Was tempted to bid but I feel more comfortable with a smaller unit. Argh.

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:35 am

The salt water reliability of the AW1 is definitely no better than the other good compacts. We chew through a lot of the $300 tough cameras, using them daily on the water, and we're onto out third AW1 now, all replaced under warranty with a waterproofing problem. Way back when it was released I figured $1000 for an on-water camera was asking for problems....

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:33 pm

Yes, they certainly aren't perfect. I had two die on me, they just became totally unresponsive at the back panel buttons and would only focus once when first turned on. Warranty replacement luckily and they do have a 2 year warranty. But they still produce the best waterproof camera image out there.

gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

Postby gsimson » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:16 am

Mark Sundin wrote:The salt water reliability of the AW1 is definitely no better than the other good compacts. We chew through a lot of the $300 tough cameras, using them daily on the water, and we're onto out third AW1 now, all replaced under warranty with a waterproofing problem. Way back when it was released I figured $1000 for an on-water camera was asking for problems....

Haven't been able to kill my Sony TX10 yet after four years or so. It's been in the salt water a lot, lives in an open neoprene pocket on my PFD for easy access. It did hiccup once when I was on a two week paddle and, expecting it to fail I bought a new one of the same model just before it became obsolete on the strength of my experience, but the new one's still sitting in the cupboard waiting for the old one to die. Don't even rinse it after use anymore and it's still going strong although the outer case is cracked and scratched from heavy use. Best features - small size and sliding lens cover that turns it on (quickly), therefore one handed operation, haven't had any water drops on shots either. Good image quality and video for my use too.
Last edited by gsimson on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

JDJTas
KAYAK: GreenlanderPro, Seaward Chinook, thermoplastic.

Postby JDJTas » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:18 pm

I have two Sony TX30s, one on a pole attached by a rotatable ball joint, the other hand held with a short handle srewed into the tripod socket. Used them for quite a few years including underwater. No problems or failures except my old Sony tX10. The tripod screw in the base eventually stripped due to the constant wear and tear mounting it on the pole and handle. One good feature of these cameras is the ability to shoot HD video and and that same time take 12m pixels stills. Certainly not DSLR quality photos but the video is great.
Wish Sony would bring out a 4K version.

gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

Postby gsimson » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:43 pm

JDJTas wrote:I have two Sony TX30s, one on a pole attached by a rotatable ball joint, the other hand held with a short handle srewed into the tripod socket. Used them for quite a few years including underwater. No problems or failures except my old Sony tX10. The tripod screw in the base eventually stripped due to the constant wear and tear mounting it on the pole and handle. One good feature of these cameras is the ability to shoot HD video and and that same time take 12m pixels stills. Certainly not DSLR quality photos but the video is great.
Wish Sony would bring out a 4K version.

Don't know if you remember Jeff but it was you who put me on to the Sony's. Thanks.

bluepansy
KAYAK: No, I don't own one

Postby bluepansy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:37 pm

@ Geoff: very nice pics :)

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”