New Nikon

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
Lyn Murray
KAYAK: SeaKayakingUK Pilgrim Expedition custom,Impex Force 3, West Greenland Disko Bay, Tahe Greenland T

New Nikon

Postby Lyn Murray » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:47 am

This might just be what a lot of us have been waiting for....

http://www.nikon.com.au/en_AU/product/nikon-1/nikon-1-aw1

Geoff

mick M
KAYAK: F1 Skin on fraim Nortik navigator folding kayak tide race pace 17

Re: New Nikon

Postby mick M » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:07 pm

I've had my eye on it for weeks, if I bout one home you wold hear the screams from Tasmania , mabe il get one befor next years OS trip.

donmb
KAYAK: Valley etain 17.5

Postby donmb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:00 pm

I pre-ordered one. A bit of a risk, but I don't see how it could be worse than the current crop of uw cameras, which really haven't improved, and the Nikon 1 system always seemed interesting...

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:04 pm

if I bout one home you wold hear the screams from Tasmania

You are right :-)

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:55 am

Well I finally bought one of the new Nikon waterproof cameras, the AW1. It's a marked improvement over it's competitors.
Pros-It can shoot at faster fps than anything out there, the most useful speed being 5 fps for 20+ shots before the buffer fills. It can also shoot 60 fps but only for 20 shots so effectively for 1/3 second.
It's resolution and sharpness is better than my FT3. The FT3 is pretty remarkable in its own right but the Nikon clearly outdoes it. Colour jpegs are very good straight out of the camera but it also does RAW which is a major feature, so much more controllable.
Some people don't like the menu system but I find it very useable.
Well built and solid feeling. The hatch locking system is very positive.
Cons-Expensive.
Low ISO images are fairly noisy (luminance) but it translates more like grain than noise so it is still acceptable. The beauty is that as ISO goes up, noise is very well controlled, making 800 ISO a useful speed. There is a setting that allows an auto range from 160 to 800 ISO at the camera's option which would probably be ideal
on the water.
Size. It is a lump compared to your average waterproof compact but there has to be a tradeoff. It goes into my Rockpool GT front mini hatch without problem so I am happy but if you don't have a mini hatch it could be a pain.
Zoom range. Only zooms from an equivalent of 30mm to 75mm, a fairly narrow range but there is apparently a 10-100mm AW lens in the pipeline. That equates to 27mm-270mm.
No image stabilisation. Makes video more difficult.
So, a bit of a mixed bag, but if you are after the best quality still images possible on the water, as I am, then it is worth it. If you just want memories, the Panasonic FT series is probably still the best out there at a good price.
With a bit of luck,the other manufacturers will jump on the bandwagon and start to produce some terrific medium sized sensor waterproof cameras to compete with the Nikon. It can only get better :-)

Geoff

http://www.geoffmurray.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

donmb

Postby donmb » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:16 am

I have one also that I'm happy with. btw, I'm using an op-tech hood hat as a lens cover. It protects it better, and it's not as loss prone as a lens cap. It's the mini size and slides over the outside of the lens. I haven't done it yet, but it can be tethered. I'm also using a floating neck strap designed for binoculars.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:51 am

Great idea Don, which model hood hat do you use?
Geoff

donmb

Postby donmb » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:54 am

It's the hood hat "mini" which is their 2.5-3" size. If you have the silicone jacket set, it wont go over the lens part easily so I removed it. Mfr # 8001262

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks Don.

BenjaminFontenot
KAYAK: Valley Anas Acuta, Wilderness System Sealution, Wave Sport XXX

Postby BenjaminFontenot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:58 am

That Pilgrim's sparkle gelcoat is hot.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:39 pm

It sure is Ben. That kayak was especially made for my wife by Nigel Dennis with 1/2" cut out of the hull to lower the deck to make the kayak a better fit for her . It is beautifully made and looks and goes very well indeed.
Geoff

Raider
KAYAK: Epic 18 X Sport Ultra - Seaward Passat G3 - Tempest 170 Pro - Rosco SR

Postby Raider » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:30 pm

Geoff wrote:It sure is Ben. That kayak was especially made for my wife by Nigel Dennis with 1/2" cut out of the hull to lower the deck to make the kayak a better fit for her . It is beautifully made and looks and goes very well indeed.
Geoff

... and it's a purple one!... Who'd have thunk it? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:08 am

Have to say, I like this new Nikon AW1 more and more.
Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:55 pm

I am starting to get quite excited about this new Nikon. On my last trip I took a number of images both with my Nikon D7000 and the little Nikon AW1. Comparing images in Lightroom it is becoming apparent that this Nikon AW1 is a little gem. Apart from a bit more noise, it produces images remarkably similar to its bigger brother.
In the attached image the AW1 is on the left. Both were shot in RAW and prepared in Lightroom 5.3. The AW1 image was with the standard 11-27.5mm lens at 11mm,f8.0 and ISO 180, the D7000 image was with a Nikkor 12-24 lens at 18mm, f9.0 and ISO 400.
Geoff

gonetroppo
KAYAK: Raider

Postby gonetroppo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks for all the info Geoff, I'm looking at this camera so I can rid my self of carrying 2 cameras, my bulky SLR and my basic waterproof. Can you shed some light on Manual mode and the amount of controlability of the settings? I also like to dabble with HDR photography, does the camera have bracketing?

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:41 am

It has manual mode as well as Program, shutter priority and aperture priority so gives pretty much complete control. It doesn't have bracketing but adjusting exposure is very quick and easy.
Geoff

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:43 am

I wonder how durable would it be if used for photos taken on a sea kayak deck, where the camera would get wet ?
Salt seems to destroy most things in a very short time, at least here in Queensland, so I have to regard those so called waterproof compact cameras as long-term disposables
If this Nikon can stand up to the elements a bit better than I could consider this camera to create better images of paddling in dynamic waters and stop capturing those lousy results that compacts give me.

Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:56 am

I cant see any reason for it to last longer, nothing seems to be particularly innovative about addressing the things which kill cameras.
However since it is not a knockabout in the PDF or on a deck mount camera it should have an easier life and survive longer than cameras with a more abusive life.

It will obviously give better quality pictures than the compact digicams. Better optics and sensor.

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:59 am

Some great pics there Geoff.

Rob has also bought himself one & has got some stunning photos lately with it, I'd be nervous with a $1000 camera in my PFD, but the images are fantastic.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:36 pm

Gnarly, it's waterproof capability is no less or more than the compacts. Some fail occasionally, others don't. But having said that, I do treat it differently from my Panasonic FT3 ( which lives in my cag pocket when it comes with me). I keep the Nikon in my front cockpit hatch on the Rockpool GT. With my other kayaks that don't have that handy little hatch, I keep it in the dayhatch. I also use an Optech Hood Hat neoprene cap on the lens which is really useful. The lens is completely protected (above water) until the hood is removed and the chance of the dreaded waterdrops is greatly reduced.
On the majority of my trips I now leave the Nikon D7000 and lenses at home and just take the AW1. Being minimalist can improve your photography :-)
It is a major step forward in on water photography but hopefully it will also prompt some solid competiton from the likes of Sony, Fuji, Pentax Canon and Panasonic.

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”