New Nikon

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Re: New Nikon

Postby gnarlydog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:39 pm

I love the "stubbie cooler" accessory for the lens; of course I would have a XXXX one to support the local brewery :-)
I just had a look at my local camera store and I thought the AW1 was bit bulky for my liking if I compare it to an Olympus Pen or Sony rx100 _I am kind of obsessed with small things... to compensate for my own bulk? :o
Of course those aren't waterproof but since using the AW1 for wet stuff (surf, rough seas) is deemed not really a healthy proposition I wonder where it would fit in with my shooting style?
On land I could use any high end mirrorless offering and gone are the days of schlepping big cameras (for work)
Hmmm, will have to look further then....

gonetroppo
KAYAK: Raider

Postby gonetroppo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Sounds like a hard to beat machine then. My little $120 Nikon 3m waterproof has had a hard life in the salt but has stayed solid, I wash it up after every dunk and hit it with lanox periodically though, if they have retained the same waterproofing in the AW1 then I'd see no worry in using it to its limits also.

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 pm

oh, if only that was the case for me... after 5 waterproof compacts gone to trash the only thing that does not corrode in salt is something in a dedicated housing (GoPro being a good example)
At least then I have to make my own decision when the technology doesn't cut it anymore rather than the camera telling me to buy a new one
a few samples here: http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com.au/20 ... -term.html
that was a while ago when I still believed in the manufacturers telling me that their cameras are "adventure proof" :-)

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:12 pm

I also have found that using DxO Optics Pro for processing raw images is spectacularly successful. Noise ceases to become an issue.
Geoff

fer
KAYAK: Valley Aquanaut RM LV

Postby fer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:51 am

gnarlydog wrote:...something in a dedicated housing (GoPro being a good example)...

So when are you going to post the instructive to BYO housing? :twisted:

ficoa
KAYAK: Valley Etain

Postby ficoa » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:14 am

Hi Geoff, I'm also an excited owner of the AW1, where did you buy the optech hood hat? Fiona

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi Fiona,
I bought it from Michael's Camera http://www.michaels.com.au/ about $12.00
Be a little cautious about submerging the camera. I did the other day and on checking the (well greased) seals noticed a little water had seeped further than I expected.No damage but I am not sure I would take it too deep or for too long. Still a great camera though.
Geoff

ficoa
KAYAK: Valley Etain

Postby ficoa » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:43 am

Thanks Geoff, yes I have noticed the same thing. A minor but nevertheless noticeable little bit of water around the lens mount. Not sure if it was from having taken it swimming or from soaking it after I got home, or both. And yes I had greased up the O ring as well. Have to say I was a bit surprised, especially since the lens is so difficult (in a good way) to get off.
Fiona

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:38 am

Mine had seeped in past the two mini hatches, I didn't check the lens seal...

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:59 am

all very interesting: so the so called waterproof camera maybe isn't?
call me sceptic but I wonder how long before this camera will have the same fate as the other ones that were labelled waterproof
and if waterproofness no longer is its forte what is the point on spending a fair bit more money on a camera that isn't superior to other much cheaper offerings?
Thank you for being honest with reporting your findings; it is the only real way for others to know how gear actually performs beyond the manufacturers/retailers lovely descriptions

fer
KAYAK: Valley Aquanaut RM LV

Postby fer » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:35 pm

gnarlydog wrote:call me sceptic but I wonder how long before this camera will have the same fate as the other ones that were labelled waterproof

All I can say is that Nikon will honour their warranty. At least they have with my camera 4 or 5 times, not all of them water ingress.
I use it, get the photos out of the card every time I can and the day it dies I take it to Nikon and I get a new one. if it is not waterproof the warranty would be void :evil:

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:44 pm

but isn't that only good for a year, until the original warranty expires?
When my Olympus "waterproof" camera failed they gave me a new one (luckily I had a second one with me on a long trip or I would have no further images). When the replacement failed again a few months later the original 1 year warranty was up and that was the end of that camera.
Kind of expensive...

Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Warranty isnt limited to a year, despite manufacturers claiming it is.
1 year is the minimum, the period is variable beyond that based on a fairly open interpretation of how long the device should be expected to last based on its price, quality and manufacturers claims. The case for a longer warranty period can be made with Fairtrading. This is also one of the reasons stuff costs more here, because our consumer protection laws go beyond the norm so there is a premium added to cover the manufacturer/importers extra risks.

In this case of being a $1000 camera, about 3x the price of its non waterproof cousins, plus boasts 15m waterproof, 2m dropproof, and suitable for scuba diving, I think there would be a strong case to insist the warranty be honoured to two or even three years. If it was a $150 cheapo then thats different.

They can set a trap with seal servicing though, if they set that to a year they can escape longer warranty claims if you dont service as instructed.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:18 pm

Spot on Jmuzz, it all boils down to what is reasonable. Likewise with a TV or any other more expensive item, the 1 year warranty is very short for the life that you could reasonably expect.
I don't use the camera underwater, it is kept in my mini hatch and I use it as a camera that could take significant splashing etc. Not as the manufacturer advertises but it definitely suits my purpose of taking better quality images whilst travelling by kayak.
Geoff

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Postby Mark Sundin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Having killed pretty much every tough camera there has been in the last few years, I don't buy them expecting a huge lifespan, especially considering what I do with them.
I've only ever taken one back, and that was after 3 weeks. It was replaced lock stock, but with others I've killed close to the warranty period I've figured they have been good enough, for the price.
The hassle of being the angry consumer outweighs the amazing images these things make possible now, unthinkable for a mug photographer like me before about 2008.
I've balked at this new Nikon because of the price, because it probably isn't any more me-proof than the others and I imagine Nikon would probably defend a warranty claim a little more vigourously.
As Geoff says, be realistic about what they can do, and you shouldn't be disappointed..
The images I've seen from this new one are phenomenal.
Mark.
Last edited by Mark Sundin on Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 pm

I don't use the camera underwater, it is kept in my mini hatch and I use it as a camera that could take significant splashing etc. Not as the manufacturer advertises

and you are getting water ingression while not really submerging the camera?
Thank you for reporting that; it really helped making my mind up.

Re warranty claims past the date offered by the manufacturers: any personal reports of anybody successfully pulling off one?
How long should a kayak be really warranted then? longer than what currently often offered...

JDJTas
KAYAK: GreenlanderPro, Seaward Chinook, thermoplastic.

Postby JDJTas » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:58 pm

Img_1201.jpg
Img_1195.jpg
I have used Sony TX series cameras for both video and stills for quite a few years including underwater. Though people have had problems with the touch screen I haven't had this problem usually presetting the camera to -3 or -7 ev before shooting. These cameras are good because you can shoot 12m stills and HD video simultaneously. Yes the stills are not as good as big sensor cameras but hey are ok. The HD video and sound is great and the auto panoramas in HD mode are good. I dont particularly look after these cameras other than a good wash in fresh water when i get back. The sliding front cover keeps the splashes off the lens in most cases.
Because they are small I have one on a telescopic pole on a deck mount, one in my buoyancy vest pocket. This one has a small handle to hold it steady and not get your fingers over the lens.
I also use a GoPro3 mounted on thew rear deck but his is sometimes unreliable with the remote wi fi. I use these cameras on extended trips of up to four weeks, carry plenty of spare batteries and a 11000ma battery recharge pack. 64Gb cards allow for plenty of Hd video shooting. The only issue with the Sony TX's is the battery life which is limited when shooting HD video.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

donmb
KAYAK: Valley etain 17.5

Postby donmb » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:46 pm

About the nikon... Are you guys sure it wasn't water that had settled around the seal, that you disturbed when removing the lens and/or opened the hatches?

btw, my own opinion is that that lens seal should be good -or as good as any nikonos anyway, but I don't really trust the hatch seals which are pretty much like any of the other cheap water proof cameras. Also, the spring for those hatches will probably corrode.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:25 am

No Gnarly, I did get water seepage through submersion.Read my posts thoroughly "Be a little cautious about submerging the camera. I did the other day and on checking the (well greased) seals noticed a little water had seeped further than I expected."
And for my fully submerged (possibly, like in surf/tideraces) images I use a GoPro Black 3+ which is very, very good.

You may well be right Don, the water I saw hadn't gone past the seals as such but it did look like it was under the sealing point if that makes sense.
Geoff

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:15 am

Geoff, thank you for clarifying that: I was kind of worried the Nikon was getting water inside by just handling it wet?!?
While I find the GoPro having strong limitations if wanted to be used for conventional style photography (the lens alone is basic and very distorted), that camera has opened up my mind on how to take action footage.
I need now something else that will allows me to have a bit more control on the image, if nothing else composition and exposure. Most compact cameras are OK but lack what I want: focus control
Now that I hear that submersion is not really recommended with the Nikon, I think I will settle on a Micro 4/3 mirrorless; lab tests alone have convinced me that image quality is only surpassed by large sensor DSLRs (something that I am NOT prepare to schlep nor spend the big money on).
And for on-water images I think that JDJTas solution is appealing to me; smaller, lighter and cheaper. Even tho I had bad luck with "waterproof" cameras and corrosion, some users seem to get enough life out of them to justify the "long-term disposable" :o
For me, like Andre Janecki suggested, the only reliable thing is a camera in a waterproof case.
There must be something in the Qld water :-)

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”