music on youtube

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
chris peiro
KAYAK: mission eco bezig, 550 hybrid

music on youtube

Postby chris peiro » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:27 pm

hey guys,like the title says, when putting music to videos for public viewing like on youtube, how do you deal with the copy right laws and is there a good place to get music from. ......cheers chris

Marvin
KAYAK: Elliot Barracuda, Penguin

Re: music on youtube

Postby Marvin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:22 pm

You could look here http://creativecommons.org/legalmusicforvideos

Creative Commons is a new system, built upon current copyright law, that allows you to legally use “some rights reserved” music, movies, images, and other content — all for free.

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:41 am

Better still, use Vimeo. There appear to be no restrictions on music used.

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:04 am

I advocate to use content that is not infringing copyright for a couple of reasons.
If YouTube receives too many complaints about copyright infringements from a member it might cancel his/her account, however that rarely happens if one just uses non authorized music in the videos.
The second reason is that YouTube will slap ads over you videos when streamed. I find that very annoying. Unfortunately YouTube has started to do it even with Creative Commons content.
And then there is the moral reason. Music is art created by individuals that spend considerable amount of their time and talent to bring to life. Just like "pinching" an image is not kosher in my book, I feel the same about music.
Uploading videos to Vimeo seems to be more relaxed about copyright infringement and therefore I noticed several people that use unauthorized material choose that channel. That does not mean that they are not breaching copyright laws, they just seem to get away with it.
I generally prefer to use the method described by Marvin: search for content that is legal, and a bit more creative than the usual Beach Boys cliche soundtrack :-)
The downside is that finding the style of music that I want to match my footage is incredibly time consuming

Jmuzz
KAYAK: Nordkapp, V10, K1

Postby Jmuzz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Yeah Youtube will automatically mute your video in many cases, even happens when it detects background music in movies made at a wedding or party. Others they spam extra ads and give the profit to the copyright holder.
A lot of expired copyright public domain content will still get caught up, because someone re-records it with minor differences then claims it is a new work with copyright period reset. The original then gets matched to the new one.

There is heaps of stuff is you google "creative commons free music", but like gnarly says be prepared to spend ages listening to junk and poor descriptions.
Various levels of attribution required, and some stuff is a bit scammy they say its free use but will then get YouTube to put ads on it.

JDJTas
KAYAK: GreenlanderPro, Seaward Chinook, thermoplastic.

Postby JDJTas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Kevin McLeod does some good music and it is categorized. He will even compose music for you. I have sent him money to help encourage his good work.
http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/
Cheers

chris peiro
KAYAK: mission eco bezig, 550 hybrid

Postby chris peiro » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:46 pm

thanks for the input, not too keen to insult musician if i can,so will spent some time looking at the above mentioned websites.....cheers chris

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:37 pm

There are two ways of looking at it. One is the purists way that many here are advocating, the other is the somewhat less puritanical but more practical way.
Bear in mind that I am a professional photographer that spent two years and many, many thousands of dollars chasing a firm that illegally used my images to build commercial websites, so I can certainly see it from the other side too. Incidentally, I recovered my costs but that was it.
I advocated using Vimeo simply because they do not yet have the restrictions that YouTube does and I feel that to use an artistic work, be it a photograph or music or whatever, for non profit personal use, is an acceptable use. If someone wants to use one of my images as a screensaver, good on 'em.
Geoff

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:09 pm

If someone wants to use one of my images as a screensaver, good on 'em.

Can people use your images to promote their product, even if not related?
Since I see some websites using music in their videos that is most probably not authorized (I am just assuming that but them switching to Vimeo gave me that idea) and the videos are positively of commercial nature, could one assume that would be OK to use your images for the same purpose?

Screensaver is one thing, YouTube that anybody can view on the net is something else...

gsimson
KAYAK: Cetus,Taran, Delphin, Firestar, SOF Disko Bay, Shearwater 16, Fenn ski

Postby gsimson » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Anything that ends up in the public domain needs to comply with copyright laws. Musicians have to make a living too. I deal with it by keeping most of the videos I do private or by using royalty free music when publishing on You Tube and such. People above have already suggested a few good sites, there are some reasonable resources out there, buts as already stated, be prepared to spend a lot of time sorting through some dross .

Lina12
KAYAK: Prijon Millenium 2012

Postby Lina12 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:27 pm

mp3skull.com
but you can get mp3s from here for free.

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”