Nikon AW1 vs "the rest"

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Nikon AW1 vs "the rest"

Postby Geoff » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:31 am

An interesting comparison. My Nikon AW1 developed a problem where the back panel buttons became unresponsive. I returned it for (warranty) repair. It took ages and in the meantime I bought an Olympus TG3 as a friend's camera I saw took really pleasing images. Welli, it did just that, took pleasing images. But on inspecting at 100% they were pretty ordinary with significant smearing and loss of detail. A week or so ago Nikon replaced my Nikon AW1 with a new one. Soooo much better. Not DSLR quality but significantly better than "the rest" .

Geoff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark Sundin
KAYAK: Expedition Kayaks Audax

Re: Nikon AW1 vs "the rest"

Postby Mark Sundin » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:55 am

Amazing pics, but two now done in, in less than a year of use on the sea. Silly little mechanical failures too, not the usual seal failures. I keep my D20 for rough water photos now, and the AW1 for flat water days, set up shots & on land. Great camera, but hopefully they get the build quality right for the next gen.

Geoff
KAYAK: Rockpool Taran 18,Rockpool GT, Rockpool Alaw Bach, SeaKayakingUK Explorer HV

Postby Geoff » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:25 am

What were your mechanical failures Mark? As I said, mine became unresponsive but another problem is that sometimes the lens is not recognised by the camera and I keep getting told to fit a lens when it is already on. It needs a very definite action putting the lens on for the camera to realise it has one!
Geoff

gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

Postby gnarlydog » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:46 am

Geoff, sorry to hear that your AW1 malfunctioned and that took ages to repair/replace.
I was wondering what happened to you posting your inspiration images...
If it's any consolation you are not the first to report trouble with that camera and in my eyes any camera that is touted to be waterproof without a case it is so just for short time, Nikonos aside.
If you are interested in technical lab tests of resolution of most camera available on the market there is this website that compares them: http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
Interesting that DSLR is no longer the standard for high quality images; several mirrorless cameras are now as good if not better

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”