VIDEO: I Have A Dream

Discuss cameras, techniques, tips and tricks, and post your favorite photos and videos.
Forum rules
NO commercial posts please
gnarlydog
KAYAK: skegged kayaks (6) with traditional paddles

VIDEO: I Have A Dream

Postby gnarlydog » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:32 am

my dream was to paddle from Sweden to Åland (Finland) stopping at Märket lighthouse: https://youtu.be/IaWqKna__jg

Simonl
KAYAK: Prijon Kodiak (Mango)

Re: VIDEO: I Have A Dream

Postby Simonl » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:14 pm

Very, very inspiring!

Was expecting to see more nudity though. Crazy Scandinavians! :-)

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Was expecting to see more nudity

there is, but that' s in the "director's cut" version :-)
This Forum is supposed to be a family show after all

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Sun May 10, 2015 8:30 am

Hi Gnarly,

I was watching your video (again), it's very inspirational for when I can't get out on the water. On this occasion my wife came and had a look over my shoulder to see what the music was about. She too was impressed and asked where it was taken. When I told her, she asked how they transport their kayaks? Do they hire them? I told her no way you would hire a kayak since it's such an individual setup that no one would be happy in a hire jobie.

But it still leaves the question (which I could not answer) how do you transport your kayaks when you go to such places?

Cheers

Simon

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Sun May 10, 2015 8:16 pm

Simon, that is a very valid question.
I don't transport my kayaks to Åland (Finland) as the logistics and cost would be prohibitive.
For the last couple of years I used Johan Wirsen's personal XP, a kayak he designed.
It is a large kayak that fits me well.
Last year I was sponsored by Aquarius from Poland and they provided me with two brand new Sea Lions, one HV for me and an LV for my girlfriend.
I even chose the colors...

Image.

The kayaks fitted me and Petra very well but the volume on the HV was too small for me for a 5 week trip. I ended up using it only for a few days and then went back to the XP.
I caught the ferry from Poland to Sweden driving with the kayaks on my girlfriend's car.

High end kayak usually have decent published specifications and there would be the possibility to hire if I needed.
There area a couple of shops that have TideRace, SKUK and I believe P&H and others. From their fleet I could find something that I would be happy with.
I am sure that drilling the deck and having the sails fittings would be however out of question; Aquarius on the other hand was very interested in my sails and asked me to leave the fitting on the kayaks after the trip.
I am seeking sponsorship again for my August trip and hopefully Aquarius will have brand new models ready for me to test, and make a new movie for them.

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Mon May 11, 2015 6:47 pm

Thanks Gnarly,

Wow, you really have created yourself a nice niche in the sea kayaking world. Well done you!

Those Sea Lions do look quite nice. You guys choose ripper colour schemes.

Cheers,

Simon

gnarlydog

Postby gnarlydog » Mon May 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Simon,
if I did not enjoy capturing and editing the endless footage that is required to create my videos the "sponsorship" deal would be hugely in Aquarius favour. Editing alone takes me hundreds of hours, really.
If I was a professional I would have better skills but then again a commercial commissioned video would cost the company too much.
It's why you rarely (if ever) see any full production video of sea kayaks: there just is not enough of a lucrative market to justify the outlay for a crew on location. I still believe that the commercial videos that I see of any decent quality (Simon Willis/Gordon Brown for example) are produced on a very slim profit margin. It is more passion than money that drives these talented cinematographers.

Simonl

Postby Simonl » Tue May 12, 2015 8:39 am

gnarlydog wrote:Simon,
if I did not enjoy capturing and editing the endless footage that is required to create my videos the "sponsorship" deal would be hugely in Aquarius favour. Editing alone takes me hundreds of hours, really.
If I was a professional I would have better skills but then again a commercial commissioned video would cost the company too much.
It's why you rarely (if ever) see any full production video of sea kayaks: there just is not enough of a lucrative market to justify the outlay for a crew on location. I still believe that the commercial videos that I see of any decent quality (Simon Willis/Gordon Brown for example) are produced on a very slim profit margin. It is more passion than money that drives these talented cinematographers.

I never thought of it like that. That is an interesting perspective. It's very easy to forget how many hours of video and editing go into making a short video that looks great.

Thanks.

Simon

Return to “PHOTOGRAPHY”